BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 02 K1200RS that I need to strip the fairing from to clean up a wiring left by the previous owner. What is the general procedure for removing the fairing? Do I start with the lower cowl, then the front inner cowls, and on to both sides? A bottom up approach?

I've ordered the service manual but haven't received it yet.

·
Registered
489 Posts
If your '02 is like my '02 you can get the basic information on removing the plastic from the instructions noted in the prior post but there are some differences.

First, the screws have no washers and are a torx head screw. The screws are in the same position on the large side plastic and over the tank but the windshield surround is different.

In order to remove the side plastic you must remove the nose piece, windshield surround, and the belly pan. The nose piece has two tabs on each side of the windshield that must be popped out. These tabs are similar to the tabs on the side plastic which pop into the tank plastic. It will sound like you are breaking the tab when you pop it out and it makes a loud pop when you put it back. To take off the nose piece you must take off the two little pieces on each side of the instrument panel. This gives access to a screw on each side which is holding on the windshield surround. Be sure to take the turn signal bulbs out before removing the nose piece. After the nose piece is removed and the belly pan you can remove the side pieces. Before removing the side pieces wrap a rag around the nose piece mounting (tubular) located above the BMW roundel on the side pa
to prevent scratching the side panel.

Before you put the side panel back in position to reattach double check to see that the nose piece mounting is still covered with a rag, this is where you can get some really nice scratches. After you put the nose piece in place make sure you put the turn signal bulbs back in before putting the screws in to reattach the windshield surround. Make sure you use a long screw for the screw that attaches the instrument wing pieces at the very top, this screw goes into the windshield mounts that are silver. Before putting the instrument wing piece in place make sure the hole is visible in the metal clip that you will be putting the long screw in, this will save you much time if it is not aligned. Don't overtighten the screws as they will dig into the plastic if too tight.

Don't forget the locations of all the screws. It gets easier each time you do it.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Razel said:
A general rule for the screws that I was told by the service manager (and don't forget you're getting this information on the internet).
Long screws go through two pieces of plastic
Short ones go through just one to the fastener.
I like to just mix them all up and then pick them at random. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
828 Posts
do the service techs know this fact

Razel said:
A general rule for the screws that I was told by the service manager (and don't forget you're getting this information on the internet).
Long screws go through two pieces of plastic
Short ones go through just one to the fastener.
Too bad the service guys can't get this into their heads.

ONON-
Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts