BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met Ruben from motorhelmets.com at the bike show in Long Beach selling new Michelin's at a ridiculous price.
I ordered 2 sets for my 09 K1300 GT
180/55 17 & 120/70 17 Pilot Road 2's
$230 for a set front & rear tax in.
I was paying almost that for 1 new rear tire mounted & balanced.
He said he would honor the price until the end of the year.
I went back & ordered 3 more sets before Xmas, will pick up this week.
The savings on these tires alone will pay for my new tire changer & get me about half way through the year.
Ruben, 714-879-8882 Ext. 227
1817 W. Commonwealth Ave.
Fullerton, CA 92833
Tell him Jim set you
I didn't put anything up here sooner as I wanted to make sure & got my first tires & was able to order more at same price.

·
Registered
377 Posts
QuickSilver said:
I met Ruben from motorhelmets.com at the bike show in Long Beach selling new Michelin's at a ridiculous price.
I ordered 2 sets for my 09 K1300 GT
180/55 17 & 120/70 17 Pilot Road 2's
$230 for a set front & rear tax in.
I was paying almost that for 1 new rear tire mounted & balanced.
He said he would honor the price until the end of the year.
I went back & ordered 3 more sets before Xmas, will pick up this week.
The savings on these tires alone will pay for my new tire changer & get me about half way through the year.
Ruben, 714-879-8882 Ext. 227
1817 W. Commonwealth Ave.
Fullerton, CA 92833
Tell him Jim set you
I didn't put anything up here sooner as I wanted to make sure & got my first tires & was able to order more at same price.
This is clearly a call in special only. The e-commerce site lists them for $292.40 before shipping.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would be correct about that.
Phone works fine for me, in fact he is local for me so I prefer to go down & deal in person.
Still, a smokin deal on great tires.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Nice find, that's an awesome price.

4 sets of PR2's, that should last you quite a while

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats 5 sets of PR2's & they will get me into July August.
I'll be finishing off this year with about 64,000 miles.
Likely more next year, miles that is.
That price is not installed as I just bought a changer to do my own, but Ruben only charges $15/ea. if you bring the wheels in to him, mounted & balanced.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but are there two different "types" of PR2s, ones that are acceptable for KGTs and ones that don't have the right (strong) sidewalls? (This is from memory alone - "A" types and "B" types, something like that??). I want to be sure before I order. ...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There is a BMW specific rear tire for the KGT's.
It costs $30 - 40 more & I have never bothered going that way & I have been running the PR2's pretty much since they were available.
That would be a total of 15 rear PR2's since May 08 for around 100,000 miles on all 3 bikes I have owned.
I have been tempted to try one of the BMW spec tires to see if the extra cost will give me a tire that lasts longer, but at the more retail like prices (30% discount) I have been paying in the past & the fact that almost nobody carries them in stock, it has just never happened.
I am getting as much as 8,400 miles out of a rear tire on a long tour (3 Flags ride) or as little as 4,800 miles if I spend too much time in my favorite twisties.
The K13GT seems to be getting a little higher average mileage than the previous K12GT's about 7,400 miles each.
But that could be a result of Hwy 2 being closed for what seems like most of the time I have had the K13GT.
Hope that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts