1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Horns

I was able to install both hi/low horns on my RS and friends GT without removing anything
using original mount for one horn and addtional bracket for second horn

·
Registered
370 Posts
SunsetAl1 said:
I was able to install both hi/low horns on my RS and friends GT without removing anything
using original mount for one horn and addtional bracket for second horn
Me too. It is a little tight and takes some patience, but is do-able.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Agreed! I was also able to install two Fiamms without removing any bodywork. How difficult it will be depends on where you end up installing them and how well you are able to work in the confines of the front end. As for wiring, you just need to fashion a "harness" that will run both horns off the existing lines. You will need to remove the BMW connector and replace with a connector of your choice, but you are just running one line to the same terminal on the horns and the same for the other wire. No relay needed as there is already one being used. Good luck!

Jim

·
We're zoned for what ? cool !
186 Posts
I concur with what Jim said.

It would help to have hands the size of a Vietnamese child's, but it is doable without major surgery.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Where is the best place to buy the horns?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Do you have the web address?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Fiamm Horns

Installed mine without removing anything except the two screws (which I used to mount the horns) that old the oil cooler in place, right in the nose. Twisted the bracket supplied and pointed the horns downward. !! Make sure they don't rub the forks. I also removed the metal protectors, and ground down the plastic on one side to keep it from rubbing the fork. Just tied them into the OEM wiring.

Bought the pair at Pep Boys for around $20.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got the horns--question

Just took a look and before I start taking body work off it looks like they will almost fit in place of the OEM...second question is the new pair wired in the single wire fashion with one terminal strapped to bracket...or...two wires to both aux horns?

Can't quite see what wiring BMW supplies in the OEM installation. I hear harness being spoken...

Hanging them on the oil cooler is good idea but don't have way to twist the brackets....

Is it single or two wire hookup? I'll take her side panel off on Monday after work...Damn things are loud for sure...thanks

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
Use both wires!

Wire them in parallel, and make sure to use the brown wire for grounding. Don't just ground to the frame. I did that at first, and the horns quit working. I rewired with and grounded them to the brown wire and they have worked flawlessly ever since.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts