BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, ready?. Took out stock horn (K12GT), where's 2nd one??. Duh. Next, did I buy the wrong ones?. First pic from Gunsmoke.com . 2nd pic mine. I am trying to determine if this was just a change of packaging, and item numbers. Plus, I remember other posts on these horns, one guy had a dented one from where his steering stabilizer hit it over a really bad bump. The ones I have are plastic. Gimme a clue, do I have the correct ones?. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hmm good question. I thought only seeing one on the bike.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The RS/GT comes with only 1 horn from the factory.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
5,163 Posts
RedHawK12GT said:
OK, ready?. Took out stock horn (K12GT), where's 2nd one??. Duh. Next, did I buy the wrong ones?. First pic from Gunsmoke.com . 2nd pic mine. I am trying to determine if this was just a change of packaging, and item numbers. Plus, I remember other posts on these horns, one guy had a dented one from where his steering stabilizer hit it over a really bad bump. The ones I have are plastic. Gimme a clue, do I have the correct ones?. Thanks.
You have one horn to replace, and most folks have replaced the single horn with two (dual-tones). There's room for two (just barely) and the horn circuit already has a horn relay, so you are good to go with two horns spliced onto the one wire. Couple of pictures here with the Fiaams installed and about to be wired in
Technical, Repair, and Maintenance

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've used the plastic ones and they are LOUD and work fine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
RedHawK12GT said:
I recently installed the Freeway Blasters like yours, picture on the right. Look at the flip side of the package and you'll see they are 132db, the picture you posted on the left are 125 db.

I also have an '04 RT, these Fiamm Freeway Blaster are not as loud as the OEM on the RT. Jerry Finley "the Pirate" has posted messages here before about horns, he stated the ones he sells are the loudest Fiamm's available - as you can see they come in different db settings, and my side by side comparison of my K RS and Fiamm's are not as loud as my OEM RT.

Still, my Fiamm Freeway Blasters are much louder than my OEM single little beep.

Attached is a picture of my installation. Pay attention to clearance with the forks.

Ron

Attachments

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
horn direction

I suggest that you rotate those horns so the openings face downward.....you're asking for trouble....water and bugs will soon render them useless.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Here's mine, slightly tilted downwards, but not obvious on low angle photo, I wish the bodies were all ABS plastic. Been on 18 months now. Give them an occasional squirt of WD40. Cheap and easy to replace if I get 3 years out of them.

No fouling of steering forks or damper, old stock mounting used for relay, more space left to fit HID ballasts. Noise is out front where you want it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Attachments

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
rfespinosa said:
.......... my side by side comparison of my K RS and Fiamm's are not as loud as my OEM RT.

Still, my Fiamm Freeway Blasters are much louder than my OEM single little beep.

Ron
Ron, could you say that again in a slightly different way?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Horns......

voxmagna said:
No fouling of steering forks or damper, old stock mounting used for relay, more space left to fit HID ballasts. Noise is out front where you want it.
OK, I appreciate all the help, but now I am getting confused. Mr. Milkman said a relay was not neccessary, then a couple of guys said they had put a relay in. Which do I do?.
I don't mind the added work, and I certainly don't want to fry my wiring. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
RedHawK12GT said:
OK, I appreciate all the help, but now I am getting confused. Mr. Milkman said a relay was not neccessary, then a couple of guys said they had put a relay in. Which do I do?.
I don't mind the added work, and I certainly don't want to fry my wiring. Thanks.
Yes, there is a horn relay inside the electronic equipment box.
Bruce C

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mr. Brucecha......

brucecha said:
Yes, there is a horn relay inside the electronic equipment box.
Bruce C
Hi, Thanks for reply. I guess I'm stupid, do you mean the exsisting horn relay is sufficient for me?. Meaning, all I do is splice the green/brown wires, hook up the horns, with a crossover to 2nd, and I am all set??. Or, do I have to find this realy in the electronic equipment box, and somehow tie into it?. Thanks. I'll get these things in before the snow melts, hell or high water.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
RedHawK12GT said:
Hi, Thanks for reply. I guess I'm stupid, do you mean the exsisting horn relay is sufficient for me?. Meaning, all I do is splice the green/brown wires, hook up the horns, with a crossover to 2nd, and I am all set??. Or, do I have to find this realy in the electronic equipment box, and somehow tie into it?. Thanks. I'll get these things in before the snow melts, hell or high water.
I am not sure of the load of your new horns to say if the existing horn relay is OK with your new set-up. I do not know the current rating of the relay contacts.
What I do know is that the KGT/RS does use a horn relay. This relay protects the horn button from any overload. The horn/alarm system has a separate fuse in fuse box #1(fuse#3, left box,bottom row,second fuse from left)). It is either a 10A or 15A rated fuse depending on if your GT is a 2004 or 2002-3 model bike. I think what everyone is saying is that you can add the second horn without any problems as long as the horns do not sound constantly like in an alarm situation.
You should just have to tie into the existing wires at the horn and extend them to your new horns.
Bruce C

·
5,163 Posts

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
The current for 2 horns is obviously higher and short beeps shouldn't fuse the wires and there is a relay. A horn fault may fuse the wires if you have uprated the stock fuse.

I chose the extra relay route because that mean't I could beef up the wire sizes and particularly the ground, without even looking for the stock horn relay. At best you should consider beefing up the ground wire by running in a separate ground in parallel. Having a strong ground wire up front makes a good point for any modifications to headlamp and auxiliary lighting. It's a good thing to tie the new ground across to the headlight ground as close as you can get to the headlight connector which reduces voltage drops and increases lamp brightness.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Yes that's right, but the K's wiring has been done very economically by a designer wanting to prune wiring costs and copper weight. Wiring on K's does not use the same guage throughout, which we are used to. 'Nodes' are often wired thicker, so a skimpy wire to a node can be OK if it is short, running below its fusing current and volt drop. Node 'logic' may consider that all potential loads may not be present at the same time. Start adding accessories via your own wiring though and the design rules can be broken.

Personally, I don't advocate this sort of design cost cutting and knowing the cost in time and $$'s sorting a burned harness, I prefer to add extra copper and relays, but it's not a quick fix and more work.

·
Registered
227 Posts
BillA said:
Ron, could you say that again in a slightly different way?
The '04 RT came with dual horns. They are the loudest. Actually, extremely loud, I had no desire to make any changes.
The dual FIAMM's I installed on my '04 KRS are not as loud as the RT OEM. But they are much louder than the single horn OEM on the KRS.
So, the single horn OEM on the KRS is the weakest.

In retrospect, I should have purchased the dual FIAMM from Pirate's for my KRS. My message here and others' indicates that FIAMM come in different db loudness, Pirate claims he researched that and stocks the loudest.

Ron

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
The 'loudness' of a pair of horns isn't just about decibels. If you look on Fiamms, they have a stubby screw on the metal plate. I don't advise messing with them, but they are for TUNING. The hi and low are tuned to be both distinctive and pleasant but could be made unpleasant, according to what you like to hear!

If a cage or truck driver in a modern well sound proofed diesel cage thinks you are bigger than him and reacts, your horns are ok.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts