BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the interest of saving up to afford the 12K mile interval checkup, where do I find oil and fuel filters for '03 K1200RS at a low price (mail order is OK)? And while I'm at it, how about a source for replacing the quick disconnect for the fuel line?

·
Registered
437 Posts
forgot

omega has the qd's.....they are easy enough to install. also, just for your info. u can do the complete 12k thingy and save 5 or 6 hundred dollars. get the clymer manual. first time is a bit slow, after that it's a breeze. let me know if u need any help.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Oil Filters:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=11421460845

Fuel Filters: Napa 3032, less than $10.00 vs BMW at $33.00+.

Quick disconnects....I replaced mine with straight barbed connectors at $1.00 Ea.Only problem is that you have to drain the tank when/if you want to take it off. Does not happen very often anyway.....and the hoses at the fuel pump flange are easy to remove.

Save your money.....buy tools and a Clymer! :thumb:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Two questions on the dis-connects, .
1. Is there a normal life span on the plastic connects, mine are 10 yrs old?
2. Is the straight 1/4" what's needed in metal?
Thanks ,Dickey

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TNX for the lead on the filters.

I'll pick up on Brokerecord's question about the disconnects - how many sets do I need? Brucecha, it sounds as though you're saying I need two complete sets? Also, I have this funny feeling I need to drain the tank to do the [2?] disconnects?

Clymer is, fer sher, on my to-do list. I'll still let Hermy's do the 12K intervals as I'm willing to pay to be sure all's well with the bike.

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
RBEmerson said:
TNX for the lead on the filters.

I'll pick up on Brokerecord's question about the disconnects - how many sets do I need? Brucecha, it sounds as though you're saying I need two complete sets? Also, I have this funny feeling I need to drain the tank to do the [2?] disconnects?

Clymer is, fer sher, on my to-do list. I'll still let Hermy's do the 12K intervals as I'm willing to pay to be sure all's well with the bike.
Beemer Boneyard also has the CCP (same as Omega) quick connects. If you want to save yourself a few bucks, just buy the male ends, the female ends aren't the problem. You need two male ends as a minimum.

Here's a link to more information on the Quick Connects (also, do a search here for more info).

http://rhhall.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/K1200RS-GT-QD-replacement/2647919_hfSwh

Use a clamp on the fuel line so you don't have to drain the tank when replacing the quick connects. Also use a fuel-injector clamp, not the normal screw/worm gear drive clamp.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Brokerecord said:
Two questions on the dis-connects, .
1. Is there a normal life span on the plastic connects, mine are 10 yrs old?
2. Is the straight 1/4" what's needed in metal?
Thanks ,Dickey

1) Who knows the life span of the plastic fittings???? It always seems to be the male fitting on the pressure line that breaks. Mine lasted 3yrs. and then broke.
The Omega fittings are chrome-plated brass, I don't know what the other's offer in material.
2) The fuel line size is 5/16". The metal would be up to you. Brass or pot-metal.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
RBEmerson said:
I am saying to do the job right you need 2 complete sets. If you want to go cheap, at least replace both QD's with 5/16" 3-barb brass hose couplings. The plastic is the problem, it will break. When mine broke the dealer said it was the first one he had seen(BS) on a private motorcycle. The cop bikes went threw a pile of them.
Believe it or not. But a broken plastic QD will do a few things.
1) leave you stranded
2) put fuel stains on your frame that will not come completely off no matter what you do.
3) burn you, your motorcycle or worse.
4) we are talking about a $100.00 do-it-yourself project on a $6,000 motorcycle, it's really pencils out.
Finally,if you hem and haw about buying these, at least do something for yourself and carry a pair of the 3-barb hose couplings for emergency usage. You can pick them up at any good auto parts store.
Oh, I pinched off the fuel line to be worked on with a pair of visegrips. And DON'T cut or shorten the fuel lines in any way. Just take your time and wiggle the old plastic barbed ends from the fuel line.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been through fuel line failures. It's not fun (the good news is the bike and rider didn't go up in smoke). I asked about the number of disconnects to be sure I do it right the first time.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
RBEmerson said:
I've been through fuel line failures. It's not fun (the good news is the bike and rider didn't go up in smoke). I asked about the number of disconnects to be sure I do it right the first time.
Sorry for my rant. I misunderstood what you meant.
There have been some posts on only replacing the male pressure fitting piece(as this seems to be the one that breaks) and save some money. It's my belief that this is NOT the way to go.
A&S motorcycles in Roseville Ca. also carries metal QD's. I don't know the prices or quality.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread, but ditch those o-ring-dependent QD's & get some good stuff.

Beemer Boneyard is selling the Omegas for about $75 a set (plus shipping).

Racer Parts Wholesale has the appropriate Jiffy-Tite QD's for only $25 more - since they are all-metal with no o-rings you'll never get stranded by a sheared o-ring. These things are the business. A full set from RPW will run you about $106-107 including shipping.

You need 2x 21505 and 2x 22505 and you'll never worry about your QD's again!

--chiba

·
Registered
121 Posts
RE: Thanks

I was gonna change mine to what ever metal I can find locally. I have the air and gas filter ready and do all at one time.
I can't stand the thought of gas spraying all inside my pretty Silver bike 40 miles out and catching fire!
Thanks for the info, Dickey

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got the disconnects from Beemer Boneyard. A really good outfit. The website was easy to navigate and the parts came the next day. For 70 or 80 dollars the peace of mind was worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
RBEmerson said:
In the interest of saving up to afford the 12K mile interval checkup, where do I find oil and fuel filters for '03 K1200RS at a low price (mail order is OK)? And while I'm at it, how about a source for replacing the quick disconnect for the fuel line?
Beemerboneyard has a complete 12K service kit. Has everything you need - all filters, plugs, and all fluids.

Dave

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm confused by the Beemer Boneyard listing. Are we talking two sets of BBcpcqkdisconK12S or...? :confused:

·
Registered
121 Posts
RE: 1 or 2 pieces

I just ordered mine. Most are single connectors, and very high. I bought the kit called
" Cart-Speciel-2" it had 2 complete connectors, and 4 of the speciel F.I. clamps. Extra o-rings are included.
They are chrome covered brass. Shipped was $84.08

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well! The discussion of quick disconnects just went from the hypothetical to the very real. Sigh... And of course it was a male fitting that went "tango uniform". :(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts