BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has been in for re call work ( wheel flange/ fuel pump flange..its had a new fuel pump ) but the dealer has told me that my final drive bearing is rough ( no play ) I only changed the drive oil last week and all seemed ok ?
Whats your take on this..Get it replaced ? Or leave it ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
IF..there's no play, and you didn't pour out at least metal shavings/chunks when you changed it, and the fluid looked ok (used but not burnt), and it's not leaking,,,,,I wouldn't worry about it. The very fine "paste" you find on the magnetic plug is perfectly normal also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
moymurfs said:
IF..there's no play, and you didn't pour out at least metal shavings/chunks when you changed it, and the fluid looked ok (used but not burnt), and it's not leaking,,,,,I wouldn't worry about it. The very fine "paste" you find on the magnetic plug is perfectly normal also.
Last final drive oil change was around 18 thousand miles ago.
Oil was dark to start with but not burnt, no metal shavings either and no leaks.
Thanks for the advice was starting to worry about a big bill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
I had to replace my final drive this past fall on my 2009 k1300gt at 22,000 miles.

I think I had my final drive fluid change within 2,000 miles of the failure.

For perhaps 1,000 miles before the failure, I would feel very brief odd vibrations from time to time. Maybe 1/4 of a second once every 50 miles. The odd vibration felt like a bit of rough road.

When it failed, it slung grese onto the rim. This is much thicker than the gear oil that lubricates the drive gear.

The dealer diagnosed it as a crown bearing failure and suspected that it likely would have damaged the axle. I bit the bullet and had the final drive replaced for about $2,000. I did get the old parts back and hope to see about rebuilding it for later use or possible sale.

I don't know if I had it checked out sooner if they could have done a less expensive repair.

Are they suggesting final drive replacement or a less drastic repair?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EricS said:
I had to replace my final drive this past fall on my 2009 k1300gt at 22,000 miles.

I think I had my final drive fluid change within 2,000 miles of the failure.

For perhaps 1,000 miles before the failure, I would feel very brief odd vibrations from time to time. Maybe 1/4 of a second once every 50 miles. The odd vibration felt like a bit of rough road.

When it failed, it slung grese onto the rim. This is much thicker than the gear oil that lubricates the drive gear.

The dealer diagnosed it as a crown bearing failure and suspected that it likely would have damaged the axle. I bit the bullet and had the final drive replaced for about $2,000. I did get the old parts back and hope to see about rebuilding it for later use or possible sale.

I don't know if I had it checked out sooner if they could have done a less expensive repair.

Are they suggesting final drive replacement or a less drastic repair?
Hi Eric,
They are suggesting a bearing replacement which its self isn't cheap.
But changing or repairing final drives at such low mileages is a disgrace, I have had chains last longer than 20k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well...I've decided to bite the bullet and get the work done.
Riding back from the dealers today made me realise how much I love this bike.
BUT....There is a nice low mileage Honda ST1300 in a local dealers ......Mmmmm ?
Decisions decisions...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Funny you mentioned a Honda SST.My K1200S is too harsh on my back for an upcoming 2100 mile trip in Sept and i was looking at a 2006 SST.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
bobbyrv said:
Funny you mentioned a Honda SST.My K1200S is too harsh on my back for an upcoming 2100 mile trip in Sept and i was looking at a 2006 SST.

You need a GT!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
bmeaden said:
hello, just wondering how u made out on final drive, did u go new or replace the bearing

thx bill
Hi Bill,
I did neither..I decided I had , had enough of BMW and their unreliability and eye watering repair costs , sold it to a National cash for bikes company and now have a Honda super blackbird and with it peace of mind.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top