BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone send their old final oil to one of these guys?

I ordered one of their Dyson Kits (it's a free get, but you pay once you send it back to them). They responded by saying I should get it in 2-3 weeks.

I wish I had known of them before I had drained the old final drive fluid to find out exactly what was in there. Might have helped to know what the actual viscosity was from the factory as well since no one seems to know (among the dealers) what belongs in there. I believe mine had some sort of moly-disulfide additive since the old oil had that dark gray discoloration and not the clear oily yellow appearance of new gear oil.

I may drain mine again in 2000 miles and see what the heck comes out of it and send that to them.

·
Registered
433 Posts
GMack said:
Anyone send their old final oil to one of these guys?

I ordered one of their Dyson Kits (it's a free get, but you pay once you send it back to them). They responded by saying I should get it in 2-3 weeks.

I wish I had known of them before I had drained the old final drive fluid to find out exactly what was in there. Might have helped to know what the actual viscosity was from the factory as well since no one seems to know (among the dealers) what belongs in there. I believe mine had some sort of moly-disulfide additive since the old oil had that dark gray discoloration and not the clear oily yellow appearance of new gear oil.

I may drain mine again in 2000 miles and see what the heck comes out of it and send that to them.
I have used these guys on 2 occasions for analysing the oil in my diesel pickup. They fax/e-mail a report to you with all kinds of information. They actually wrote that "I was probaably letting my engine idle alot as well as doing heavy city vs highway traffic", which was true.

Very well worth it. On one of the ford diesel formus, a few of the guys send them samples before they change their oil, finding it cheaper to let these guys tell them how much life is left on the oil before changing it, 4 gallons of synthetic plus a $20.00 filter is costly....

If you want the results faster, UPS vs. Snail mail, as I think they respond faster to people who are will to pay the premium delivery cost.

If you want to see the kind of report they send let me know and I will post one of mine.

·
Registered
457 Posts
GMack, I'm in the 06 group prior to the "600 mile final drive lubricant change" requirement by BMW. It's too late to worry about it now so I'll have mine change during the 6000 mile service but I do want to know if my final drive has suffered any "premature wear" because of the delay. I'll send a sample in for analysis and share the results. Thanks for the info.

John
06 CGM KGT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts