BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I felt, and measured, some clearance at my final drive pivots. Not much, .00175 to .002, enough to feel if really paying attention. No problem, just adjust the inboard pivot pin right? Well... No. When adjusted to the prescribed preload it's still there!
Anybody ever seen a thread that discussed the clearance between the pins themselves and the id of the inner bearing race. That's about the only place I can see it coming from.
Gauge Clock Rim Bicycle part Gas

Measured from pin tightened in rear caliper bolt hole to the boss at the outer pivot pin.

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,018 Posts
Time for new ones. GS bikes trash these in 40K miles. I suspect the pins rather than the inner race wearing but the bearings do suffer from brinelling so I would check them first. Priority bearing from BMW as I remember. I see your bike is a little older and in the zone of old age. Nice indicator set up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose that could be. But these are "just" at 10,000 miles. I know the pins are a slip fit into the inner bearing race and not an interference fit (otherwise you couldn't get it together or apart) which infers there is at least some small amount of clearance designed in. Wondering if there's a spec for it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Old age!!!!!
My definition of old age would be the R75/5 that I had.
I'd just be getting to the "classic" time frame with the R100RS that used to occupy the garage.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ANSI "locational fit" clearance tolerance for a pin that size would be right in this range. That's why I wondered if BMW actually had a spec for the pin to bearing race fit.
Oh working in inches btw. So less than .002 inches.

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,018 Posts
Pack fresh grease in there and the front swing arm pivot units (checking the torque level of the adjustment journal pivot) and call it good to go.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty much the conclusion. I've got the tools to measure it and it's like a 3 minute job to bolt on the dial indicator on if it feels different later on. I've got a baseline to go from now anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts