BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the dreaded news today from the BMW shop, metal shavings when they drained the final drive oil on my 2003 K1200 RS (52K miles). I realize this is a common problem, so I was surprised a search on this forum didn't turn up many recent discussions of replacement options. Beemer Boneyard is sold out, eBay has one for $150 with 71K miles which seems like a potential short-term solution. The shop told me they could tear it apart to see what parts need replaced, but once they go down that route I would not be able to trailer it home and that's another 2 hours labor, that doesn't seem like a good approach - or is it? Maybe the parts are minimal and reasonably priced? Or, is the best option to look for a used final drive? If so, do you have any suggestion on sources? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1998 BMW K1200rs Dolphin Blue.
38 Posts
Hi. Did you happen to see how much metal was seen when the final drive was drained? Im certainly no expert on these matters but if it was a small amount of swarf then maybe just run with it? Were you experiencing any other symptoms with the final drive to suggest there was an issue or was this spotted as part of routine maintenance?

There is a lot of information on YouTube about the repair of these final drive units so maybe it’s possible to get it rebuilt by a local mechanic instead of the BMW main dealer.

In Europe, there are a few final drive units available on eBay at the moment but I appreciate shipping costs may make this an expensive option for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Did you happen to see how much metal was seen when the final drive was drained? Im certainly no expert on these matters but if it was a small amount of swarf then maybe just run with it? Were you experiencing any other symptoms with the final drive to suggest there was an issue or was this spotted as part of routine maintenance?

There is a lot of information on YouTube about the repair of these final drive units so maybe it’s possible to get it rebuilt by a local mechanic instead of the BMW main dealer.

In Europe, there are a few final drive units available on eBay at the moment but I appreciate shipping costs may make this an expensive option for you.
Thanks Malcolm, after discussing with a friend of mine, this is exactly what I intend to ask the shop this morning - how much metal was in the drained oil, can I ride it for 6 months or so, as is, while I search for a suitable replacement?
Alternatively, a board member, who lives 45 minutes from me, sent me a direct message about rebuilding mine, so I plan to pursue that option. He said it generally costs $440 to rebuild. I watched the videos too, it’s not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Did you miss the 8500 miles FD on fleabay? It is still there.From a 98 so one would have to plug the speed sensor hole but not a big problem.

BTW that is what I have on my 03,a 98 FD.It is at over 200,000kms and no signs of doom?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you miss the 8500 miles FD on fleabay? It is still there.From a 98 so one would have to plug the speed sensor hole but not a big problem.

BTW that is what I have on my 03,a 98 FD.It is at over 200,000kms and no signs of doom?
Thank you for the reply... I am pursuing a complete rebuild of the FD on my bike. Otherwise I would be looking at compatibility of the eBay offerings. A FD with 8500 miles sounds like a great option.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
619 Posts
I don't know the name of the fellow who offered to rebuild your unit, but if it is who I've heard about in the past I would go that way. It should last you a life time just about after the rebuild. They tend to fail because not shimmed correctly. People found that by just replacing parts and using the same shim arrangement failure occurred again. Also the new bearing helps. It costs over 150$ then you have seals etc. so it is a very fair price. Saddleman. He plays hard on the lux touring forum. From what you describe, I would not risk a long trip this summer with your drive unit as is. It is already tearing the bearing apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts