BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Darn

I thought ths GT would be my last bike, but if a six comes out I'll be in the dealer's showroom again.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I actually like it, aside from it being 50 pounds heavier than the S1000RR. I like it that they finally realized those cheap looking pee-pots on the k1300GT bars were ugly for the cost of the bike. Headlights are pretty neat if they work. Now if they settle out the clutch squeals, funky electrical gremlins, fueling (stalling and BBS), and final drive issues it might be worthy of a look. At least they are riding the crap out of the S1000RR before the public becomes a Beta tester.

However, those extra 8 valves will probably add another $400 to the valve service interval though. :D

Mack

·
Registered
110 Posts
Does it come with a heated seat? :D

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
DrD said:
Does it come with a heated seat? :D
Appears to have an electrically controlled windscreen if that little helmet switch on the right is any indication.

With all LED lighting, they may gain some HP by putting a much smaller output alternator in it. Probably won't run heated gear, but who knows?

Looks like a cam direct to inverted bucket valve setup from the videos - no rocker arms of any sort. Maybe longer valve adjust interval, but will require pulling the cam to adjust.

It is intriguing design though. I hate it! (...not really!). :D

Mack

·
Registered
153 Posts
The bike itself seems to be a quick patch-together build to display the engine, which looks to be production ready.

It's definitely not a K1300 motor with a couple of extra cylinders tacked on for a show, in other words. You can see the castings and re-work for all the accessories and a different design final drive. Pretty much ready to go.

You will probably see that engine, but not in a bike that looks like that, in other words.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
This is just a concept bike, to generate buzz and show off their new engine technology. You won't be seeing this one on the road in this form.

However, the BMW Press Release explicitly states that:

BMW said:
The new BMW straight-six will further expand the K-Series in the foreseeable future. The first model to be introduced will be an innovative and luxurious BMW touring machine. Reflecting the tradition of the BMW K-Series, this will of course be a genuine top-of-the-line product.
So you'll first see this engine produced and packaged in a full-blown K1600LT Luxury Tourer. If they can keep the weight down, the performance up, and actually get the reliability right this time, then I'm interested.

After that you may see other versions such as a GT/RT model, or possibly even an S/R model, with the engine retuned with those characteristics in mind.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hm. I don't look at the GT and think "gee, what this needs is 300-400 more cc's". Power is not the GT's weak spot.

IMHO the best things you could do to the GT would be to improve the handling and reduce the weight. Really, weight reduction alone would improve virtually everything else: top speed, acceleration, braking distance, handling, max range, fuel economy, load capacity, suspension, tire wear, etc.

To me, that engine looks really wiiiiiide.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Think of it as an LT replacement, and it might make a little more sense.

Smoothness/lack of vibration more important... Seamless torque/power. Cool factor (Goldwings have 6 cylinders, BMW as a company is famous for straight 6's). Weight is always an issue, but less so for full-boat tourers (or at least less of a percentage of total weight).

Like Sportbikes, if BMW wants to stay in the luxo-tourer game, they have to impress. It's a surprise to me, but makes sense in some ways.

My Dad had a CBX for quite a while, and having ridden it a few times, I can attest to some appealing features of a straight 6, even with it's relatively ancient chassis.

The GT (compared to my other bikes) is about as much luxury as I can stand to be honest!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have to change my briefs!

That thang is N-I-C-E :clap:

·
Registered
153 Posts
beavtm said:
I thought ths GT would be my last bike, but if a six comes out I'll be in the dealer's showroom again.
Oh so very very true!!

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
emzed said:
I see no excuse for not having automatic hydraulic lash adjustment, a la Honda Nighthawk 700S.
How about height? Would hydraulic lifters add significant height to the head? With the cylinders slanted forward at 55° that could be a real problem . . .

Although I agree that an end to valve adjustments would be quite beneficial, especially with how tightly things are packed in there. It was quite a lot of fun just measuring the clearances on the GT, and that was without pulling the cams to make any changes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Meese said:
How about height? Would hydraulic lifters add significant height to the head? With the cylinders slanted forward at 55° that could be a real problem . . .
Honda did it by making the lifters the fulcrum for finger followers, so the lifters neither added height, nor width, nor were they part of the reciprocating mass. Like any use of finger followers, it makes the head of a transverse in-line a little longer (i.e., along the front to back axis of the motorcycle). I think they could make it work... if Honda doesn't hold a non-expired patent for it.

Alas, from the computer model image on this site:
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/11/10/bmw-concept-6-1600cc-inline-6-cylinder-engine/
I see nothing but good ol' cams-acting-directly-on-buckets.

The press release:
"The straight-six power unit featured in the Concept 6 offers long inspection intervals through the use of cup tappets controlling the engine valves."
In other words, you have to inspect and adjust the valves.

Hmph.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
emzed said:
The press release:
"The straight-six power unit featured in the Concept 6 offers long inspection intervals through the use of cup tappets controlling the engine valves."
In other words, you have to inspect and adjust the valves.
Yeah, but I've never had a single valve bucket changed in 114K miles on my GT. And yes, it's been checked regularly. :)

Still, it'd be nice if we could forgo the time-consuming valve checks altogether. You gotta pull a lot of plastic and metal off just to get to the cams.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts