BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm excited to get all your feedback on my LED lighting solution for the K1200S that doesn't reveal any LAMP codes at the dash. This has been a long time in coming so I hope you find this useful. With this solution I have converted every light on the bike to LED, do not have any dash codes, and have not installed any resistors. As a side benefit, I have converted the front turn signals to running lights, meaning the default condition is illuminated and then flashing when you hit a turn signal.

TOTAL COST IS ABOUT $300 USD

LED Headlamps both high and low beam are from Amazon. There are many options but these LED bulbs from MZS are my favorite. Extremely bright, they fit inside the headlight housing without any modifications, and they don't overheat. I have some version of this brand in four BMW motorcycles without issue. They just released a fanless version which I am interested to try. I've run these lights for two years and they're great on low beam, high beam is like a helicopter searchlight.

Front turn signal bulbs have been replaced with LED bulbs also from Amazon. They're simple plug and play with no flash rate issues (see note on rear turn signals).

Front parking light bulb was replaced with a LED bulb, again from Amazon. I really love this light, it's super bright and draws very little power. I ran out of gas at night on the K12 (thanks fuel strip) and felt very confident people could see me on the side of the road with the key on.

I replaced the rear turn signals with LED panels from Hornig. Yes they're pricey but they work great and no LAMPR errors or flash rate issues using the front LED bulbs mentioned above. These are also available from Sierra BMW.

I replaced the tail light with an LED tail light from Hornig. Again, pricey but very high quality and bright unlike some cheap crap versions I've seen. Also, no LAMPR codes. I bought a smoked version that is no longer available, these may disappear soon as it's probably not a high demand item these days. This tail light comes with an external resistor but I didn't use it and have had no issues with the light.

Lastly, I installed Blinker Genies on the front turn signals to convert them to running lights. With the Blinker Genies installed, the default condition is lights illuminated and then they flash when you activate a turn signal indicator. The Blinker Genies require an additional 12V power source beyond the two-wire factory circuit. I tapped into the circuit for the front parking light in the headlamp housing and pulled it out to both front turn signals to provide the additional power source.

Without the Blinker Genies installed, I had a LAMPF code on my dash and registered low voltage codes on my GS-911 for the front parking light and the low/high beam headlamps. WITH the Blinker Genies installed, I have just the low/high beam code on the GS-911 but NO LAMP codes at the dash. Apparently, the extra load on the parking light circuit from the Blinker Genies has satisfied the computer's requirements for the circuit. I guess the computer doesn't provide a LAMPF code for the headlights as it probably expects you to figure that out on your own, (wow, it's dark and I can't see, hmmm....).

I took the bike out for a 90 min ride and it continues to operate without any codes at the dash.

Anyway, please chime in with your thoughts and questions. I'm excited to finally have all the lighting I want and no LAMP codes on my dash. Also, I'm fairly certain this will work for the K1300S as well as the K12/13 GT as they have a similar setup. I will confirm this over the winter when I install this same setup on my K1300S minus the tail light since the K1300S tail light is LED from the factory.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle
Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice work! Looks very bright and I like the turn signals as running lights.
need to do mine the same way, thanks for the detailed write up.
You bet, let me know if you have any questions. I stewed on this for over two years so happy to see someone else benefit from it. One note, be sure to re-align your headlight after installing the LEDs. If it's just a little too high, drivers will be PISSED!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
That’s way cool I mainly interested in the headlight and running light or would that be low Beam and high beam there a little yellow I would like them bright white white

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that. Just to be sure, since I am a bit slower than most, if I want to just install the LED low/high beam headlamps, I will also need the blinker genies?

Bone
I'm still trying to sort out how this system works in terms of what generates a LAMP code or not. Based on my work so far, the headlamps don't actually seem to trigger the LAMP warning at the dash, though the code will still exist in the computer. This is common with BMW that a number of codes do not tigger any warning at the dash.

·
Registered
2005 BMW K1200S
245 Posts
I'm still trying to sort out how this system works in terms of what generates a LAMP code or not. Based on my work so far, the headlamps don't actually seem to trigger the LAMP warning at the dash, though the code will still exist in the computer. This is common with BMW that a number of codes do not tigger any warning at the dash.
Thanks for helping to de mystefy why some LED upgrades are allowed and others Verbotten.

·
Registered
2007 K12R
167 Posts
To add another experience here… I plugged a LED replacement headlamp unit on my 2007 K12R, turn signals untouched stock incandescents, and I have the LAMPF on the dash. The new unit has LEDs in place of the original high/low headlights and running light.

·
Registered
2007 K12R
167 Posts
Fastdaddy,
Shit, I just ordered the new MZS without fan LED from above. I'll let you know if I get a code.
Hope you don’t, but I’m thinking you will. I’m not pleased with the LAMPF, but being that my stock headlight was about as effective as a lantern on a stagecoach, I’ve accepted it as now I can actually see at night!
Road surface Asphalt Sky Art Astronomical object

Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt Tar Astronomical object

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for your post jkaiser.

My understanding of the LAMPF code is that it should display on the dash if there is a failure of continuity of any of the 5 filaments on the front of the motorcycle (L/H beam, parking light, R/L Front Turn signal). LAMPR displays for a failure of any of the rear filaments (L/R Rear turn signal, Stop/Tail). LAMPS will display if filaments in front and rear have both failed. Any of these will also display if the amperage draw from the installed bulb is lower than the expected lower threshold value the computer expects (happens often when LED bulb replaces incandescent filament bulb). Some LED kits add a resistor to simulate the increased amperage draw an incandescent bulb would have.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To add another experience here… I plugged a LED replacement headlamp unit on my 2007 K12R, turn signals untouched stock incandescents, and I have the LAMPF on the dash. The new unit has LEDs in place of the original high/low headlights and running light.
I believe it's the running light that is generating the LAMPF code. But again, I'm still sorting this all out.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your post jkaiser.

My understanding of the LAMPF code is that it should display on the dash if there is a failure of continuity of any of the 5 filaments on the front of the motorcycle (L/H beam, parking light, R/L Front Turn signal). LAMPR displays for a failure of any of the rear filaments (L/R Rear turn signal, Stop/Tail). LAMPS will display if filaments in front and rear have both failed. Any of these will also display if the amperage draw from the installed bulb is lower than the expected lower threshold value the computer expects (happens often when LED bulb replaces incandescent filament bulb). Some LED kits add a resistor to simulate the increased amperage draw an incandescent bulb would have.
See, I get that but it doesn't explain why the Blinker Genies made the codes go away. I'm running Amazon LED headlights, turn signals, and running light. With out the Bliker Genies I had a LAMPF code. Once I added the Blinker Genies, wired into the running light circuit the code went away and I have a clear dash. Its possible the computer is aggregating the circuit values??

·
Registered
2007 K12R
167 Posts
See, I get that but it doesn't explain why the Blinker Genies made the codes go away. I'm running Amazon LED headlights, turn signals, and running light. With out the Bliker Genies I had a LAMPF code. Once I added the Blinker Genies, wired into the running light circuit the code went away and I have a clear dash. Its possible the computer is aggregating the circuit values??
Based on the explanation provided by Pedalmike and your experience with before and after blinker genie install it seems that the computer is indeed aggregating the load from all the front lamps.

·
Registered
2004 K1200 RS
4 Posts
Will this conversion work on a 2003 K1200RS? Thanks
I have a 2004 K1200 RS and this is my experience. The front turn signals, I would say no. Mine is a typical 1156 bulb. The new fanless head light will work, but I had to remove left and right inner fairings and the front fairing to get the headlight bucket out. This seems like a lot of work, but it really isn't, and makes the job of securing the headlight spring MUCH easier. I would replace the high beam bulb while you have it apart (H3 type) The parking bulb, I'm not too sure about as I couldn't find a way to remove it, so I left it alone. I bought a rear tail light LED assembly on Ebay for about 60.00. The rear directionals, I'm not sure of as I haven't taken them apart yet, but I figure they are like the fronts, a standard 1156. Hope this helps. For reference the OP has a 2005 K1200, and the bulbs probably refer to that year forward.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I’m surprised you had issues with your Halogen bulbs, because mine are unbelievably bright. I’ve never felt the need for more light.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts