BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I’m surprised you had issues with your Halogen bulbs, because mine are unbelievably bright. I’ve never felt the need for more light.
I live in a rural area with lots of deer and few street lights. LEDs are not only orders or magnitude brighter, they use a fraction of the electrical energy of halogens and practically never burn out. Win-win.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have used a K1300s tail light (LED) in my 2008 K1200s. As long as you run latest bike software all that is need is the dealer to switch it in the software. I also run the rear LED indicators from the S1000, which are are a straight plug and play with no errors. For the headlights I used Cyclops LED bulbs(turns night in to day). They work perfectly with no errors.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have used a K1300s tail light (LED) in my 2008 K1200s. As long as you run latest bike software all that is need is the dealer to switch it in the software. I also run the rear LED indicators from the S1000, which are are a straight plug and play with no errors. For the headlights I used Cyclops LED bulbs(turns night in to day). They work perfectly with no errors.
Do you need the whole rear assembly or just the bulb for the K1300S brake light?

·
Registered
2005 BMW K1200S
149 Posts
I have a 2004 K1200 RS and this is my experience. The front turn signals, I would say no. Mine is a typical 1156 bulb. The new fanless head light will work, but I had to remove left and right inner fairings and the front fairing to get the headlight bucket out. This seems like a lot of work, but it really isn't, and makes the job of securing the headlight spring MUCH easier. I would replace the high beam bulb while you have it apart (H3 type) The parking bulb, I'm not too sure about as I couldn't find a way to remove it, so I left it alone. I bought a rear tail light LED assembly on Ebay for about 60.00. The rear directionals, I'm not sure of as I haven't taken them apart yet, but I figure they are like the fronts, a standard 1156. Hope this helps. For reference the OP has a 2005 K1200, and the bulbs probably refer to that year forward.
My usual BMW bad luck turned out good after the rear light assembly fell out I bought a smoked Advanced Lighting Designs LED plug and play. Not only is it much brighter and better looking but I finally have a WORKING CLOCK!
$50 ON eBay: BMW K1200S K1200R LRD Tail Light / Brake Light / Running Light 1406L

·
Registered
2005 BMW K1200S
149 Posts
I’m surprised you had issues with your Halogen bulbs, because mine are unbelievably bright. I’ve never felt the need for more light.
There is no such thing as too much light
Sealed Beams once were required in the US
Halogens are Good
XENON is better
LED's the best so far

·
Registered
566 Posts
There is no such thing as too much light
Sealed Beams once were required in the US
Halogens are Good
XENON is better
LED's the best so far
I vehemently disagree about Xenon and LED lights. While there is no such thing as too much light, there is such thing as really poor quality light. Xenons are absurd, and LEDs perhaps can be better, but I haven’t found one that is, and every time I go down the rabbit hole of lilghting I’ve invariably wasted money to reach the same conclusion: halogen is best.

·
Registered
566 Posts
This is not the case for brake lights. LEDs are best for brake lights.

·
Registered
2005 BMW K1200S
149 Posts
Lucky for once the LED assembly I bought used from Moto Guys eBay didn't need software, Amazingly it gives me the ability to change the suspension settings again.

·
Registered
2005 BMW K1200S
149 Posts
Do you need the whole rear assembly or just the bulb for the K1300S brake light?
Changing the bulb alone I now know caused my ECU to not trespond.
I stuck with it to be seen from behind,
With the LED assembly that has additional circuitry all is well.

I also look forward to your future posts raving about LED headlamps so many riders in this thread are raving about.
Lasers didn't exist while I was in college. I was fortunate to work with their inventors and appreciate how rapidly things change. The diodes from my '55 Lionel train set were silver dollar sized. Now a tiny diode does what a mirror assembly and power supply did,

By the way how's your non AGM battery working?
Sorry I can't find delete

·
Registered
566 Posts
I also look forward to your future posts raving about LED headlamps so many riders in this thread are raving about.
Lasers didn't exist while I was in college. I was fortunate to work with their inventors and appreciate how rapidly things change. The diodes from my '55 Lionel train set were silver dollar sized. Now a tiny diode does what a mirror assembly and power supply did,
I have no plans on installing LED headlight bulbs. LED lighting was created by the devil to tempt us from the light that is Halogen. Laser headlights aren’t available to the general public, but they’re probably also completely stupid.

By the way how's your non AGM battery working?
Sorry I can't find delete
Ordered. Still waiting to receive it, which is unfortunate because I pretty much have to bump start my bike anywhere I go.

·
Registered
2005 BMW K1200S
149 Posts
I have no plans on installing LED headlight bulbs. LED lighting was created by the devil to tempt us from the light that is Halogen. Laser headlights aren’t available to the general public, but they’re probably also completely stupid.

Ordered. Still waiting to receive it, which is unfortunate because I pretty much have to bump start my bike anywhere I go.
Are you that stupid for do you think using Words like Dwevil, jGirlie, Dog Shit belomg in a technical forum.
I'd call you a fuckinjmg idiot if I met you in person. That anyone so technically limited isn't the problem . I find it insulting that you have no respect for the countless hourss Engineers have gone through to make continous improvements while lowering the cost. This particular forum was labeled LED. Don't read it and dond't comment if you don't like the topic. Your namecalling doesn't belong in grade school let alone this forum.

And if you think painting or restoring a head lamp is girlie you should take up tennis. I know you aren't capable of hitting like a girl. I pay to watch that.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Are you that stupid for do you think using Words like Dwevil, jGirlie, Dog Shit belomg in a technical forum.
I'd call you a fuckinjmg idiot if I met you in person. That anyone so technically limited isn't the problem . I find it insulting that you have no respect for the countless hourss Engineers have gone through to make continous improvements while lowering the cost. This particular forum was labeled LED. Don't read it and dond't comment if you don't like the topic. Your namecalling doesn't belong in grade school let alone this forum.
The advent of LED lights is pretty incredible, my problem is with their inappropriate implementation all over the place.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Lifted rear linkage?
Lifted rear linkage refers to the triangular shaped bracket that the shock bottom bolts to. You can buy reshaped brackets that can raise or lower the rear of the bike by changing these brackets. Lower the front, raise the rear for track/sport riding. Plenty of articles on doing this on different bikes. Someone on this forum makes them.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I replaced the entire unit but I suspect a bulb replacement would cause a CANBUS fault. The K13 LED tail light was an option from BMW for the K12 so they will work, though my 08 had a different plug. I think the BMW dealer has to recode the computer for the K13 LED light but @Fried_Chicken would know better since they performed the swap and I haven't.

·
Registered
2005 BMW K1200S
149 Posts
I replaced the entire unit but I suspect a bulb replacement would cause a CANBUS fault. The K13 LED tail light was an option from BMW for the K12 so they will work, though my 08 had a different plug. I think the BMW dealer has to recode the computer for the K13 LED light but @Fried_Chicken would know better since they performed the swap and I haven't.
I had a lamp error when I replaced the 1157 bulb with an LED but when I put in an LED assembly that had a built in circuit board and connector I have not had any errors and I can now be seen from behind! Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2005 BMW K1200S
149 Posts
I'm excited to get all your feedback on my LED lighting solution for the K1200S that doesn't reveal any LAMP codes at the dash. This has been a long time in coming so I hope you find this useful. With this solution I have converted every light on the bike to LED, do not have any dash codes, and have not installed any resistors. As a side benefit, I have converted the front turn signals to running lights, meaning the default condition is illuminated and then flashing when you hit a turn signal.

TOTAL COST IS ABOUT $300 USD

LED Headlamps both high and low beam are from Amazon. There are many options but these LED bulbs from MZS are my favorite. Extremely bright, they fit inside the headlight housing without any modifications, and they don't overheat. I have some version of this brand in four BMW motorcycles without issue. They just released a fanless version which I am interested to try. I've run these lights for two years and they're great on low beam, high beam is like a helicopter searchlight.

Front turn signal bulbs have been replaced with LED bulbs also from Amazon. They're simple plug and play with no flash rate issues (see note on rear turn signals).

Front parking light bulb was replaced with a LED bulb, again from Amazon. I really love this light, it's super bright and draws very little power. I ran out of gas at night on the K12 (thanks fuel strip) and felt very confident people could see me on the side of the road with the key on.

I replaced the rear turn signals with LED panels from Hornig. Yes they're pricey but they work great and no LAMPR errors or flash rate issues using the front LED bulbs mentioned above. These are also available from Sierra BMW.

I replaced the tail light with an LED tail light from Hornig. Again, pricey but very high quality and bright unlike some cheap crap versions I've seen. Also, no LAMPR codes. I bought a smoked version that is no longer available, these may disappear soon as it's probably not a high demand item these days. This tail light comes with an external resistor but I didn't use it and have had no issues with the light.

Lastly, I installed Blinker Genies on the front turn signals to convert them to running lights. With the Blinker Genies installed, the default condition is lights illuminated and then they flash when you activate a turn signal indicator. The Blinker Genies require an additional 12V power source beyond the two-wire factory circuit. I tapped into the circuit for the front parking light in the headlamp housing and pulled it out to both front turn signals to provide the additional power source.

Without the Blinker Genies installed, I had a LAMPF code on my dash and registered low voltage codes on my GS-911 for the front parking light and the low/high beam headlamps. WITH the Blinker Genies installed, I have just the low/high beam code on the GS-911 but NO LAMP codes at the dash. Apparently, the extra load on the parking light circuit from the Blinker Genies has satisfied the computer's requirements for the circuit. I guess the computer doesn't provide a LAMPF code for the headlights as it probably expects you to figure that out on your own, (wow, it's dark and I can't see, hmmm....).

I took the bike out for a 90 min ride and it continues to operate without any codes at the dash.

Anyway, please chime in with your thoughts and questions. I'm excited to finally have all the lighting I want and no LAMP codes on my dash. Also, I'm fairly certain this will work for the K1300S as well as the K12/13 GT as they have a similar setup. I will confirm this over the winter when I install this same setup on my K1300S minus the tail light since the K1300S tail light is LED from the factory.

View attachment 29790 View attachment 29791
I just replaced my Low Beam with the
MZS H7 LED Bulb, 12000LM Wireless Instant Plug-in and along with the
TECHMAX H7 LED Bulb, Windless Direct Insertion 10000LM 50W Hi Beams I don't have a Lamp error for the first time ever.!

The MZS was surprisingly small and easy to install. I got the Techmax first because they are 50W and no spec given for the MZS.
My first choice gave LampF errors. My guess is 30w is too low for the ecu
NORDLICHTER MINI Size H7 LED Bulb, 10000LM 30watt

Anyways I'm thrilled and it replaces my Xenon bulbs which gave lamp errors.

And please BMW halogen users don't comment and use whatever you want.

e

21 - 40 of 44 Posts