BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i did the bar risers on the k-bike and wore a little more supportive undie's with a softer sweat shorts under the riding pant's instead of regular shorts and did 350 mile's yesterday,other than the usual little discomforts able to stretch that off at each stop i felt preety good with the stock seat. I then got up this morning and sat down on the bike and felt no pain in the lowerback/upper butt area so could probably do a few more today,no time though so it seem's for now at least the risers helped quite a bit but i am still riding over to another members house in the next few week's to sit on his custom seat and if thats the icing on the cake i just may see i iron butt number in my future ,anyway's thought i'de share :teeth

·
Registered
17 Posts
First decent trip

My first trip on my newly acquired 03 K1200GT was 80 miles from the dealership to home. I was so excited about getting this great bike I didn't find any faults with the bike at all. Finally yesterday I covered 250 miles and made a list of things to change.

1) add pull backs
2) change seats, my butt was sore by the end of the day.

I just installed a Parabellum 25" shield before the ride and it was very nice to have, albeit a tad bit too tall.

On my harley night train I went out to Kansas back through Colorado to home (CA) using a corbin seat. The seat was the least of my problems.

I see Rick Mayer, Russell Day Long, Kontour and Corbin mentioned on the forums, still not sure about which one to go with. Have you made a decision on your choice of seats? Curious to know which one and why.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thinking corbin aswell ,mostly i think because of the material ,some of the others seem like a harder material and the corbin at least what i have seen seem to have a softer look ,but i'm still researching it aswell..i dont want a saddle though i like to move around on the bike ,

·
Registered
65 Posts
Glad you found a combination that seems to work. As for seats I'm up for getting a new custom one, just don't want to shell out the $500 or so bucks for it right now. Did a ride to Alabama (1200 round trip) last month and was pretty sore. Before I think about IBA type rides I'll definitely have to get a new seat.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'll sell you my areo stich seat cushion ,some people love them ,i did'nt ,let me know//

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
mikes-ss said:
well i did the bar risers on the k-bike and wore a little more supportive undie's with a softer sweat shorts under the riding pant's instead of regular shorts ...
Try a pair of LDComforts under your riding gear. I have the shorts and long underpants (tights), and the short and long sleeve shirts. I have ridden 1,000 and 1,500 mile days in them with ambient temperatures ranging from the low 20s to 115+. What a huge difference. http://www.ldcomfort.com/

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
XMagnaRider said:
Try a pair of LDComforts under your riding gear. I have the shorts and long underpants (tights), and the short and long sleeve shirts. I have ridden 1,000 and 1,500 mile days in them with ambient temperatures ranging from the low 20s to 115+. What a huge difference. http://www.ldcomfort.com/
thanks for all the links and suggestion's on this ,i'm finally getting there and really appreciate all the tips,and i'll see ya in a few weeks to check out your seat... :phonecall

·
Registered
84 Posts
another +1 on the ldcomfort. My wife bought me shorts for xmas and they are great. They are certainly not just bicycle shorts

and if you want something softer, Corbin is not the first thing that comes to mind...

·
Registered
70 Posts
+1 on the LD underwear and it's easy to hand wash on a long trip - dries pretty fast. Perhaps a bit far afield for you given other good suppliers in your area, but I added a Rick's custom seat and it made a huge difference on my 1300 GT. They are in Seattle vicinity.

Denny

·
Registered
163 Posts
three_west said:
another +1 on the ldcomfort. My wife bought me shorts for xmas and they are great. They are certainly not just bicycle shorts

and if you want something softer, Corbin is not the first thing that comes to mind...
I've got a Corbin on my R100RT and you're right, soft is not what comes to mind but if you look at the seat on my bicycle, it's not soft either but provides good support. I did an Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 on it with no seat complaints. My K75 came with a Sargent seat which I find comfortable as well, doing a couple of 700 mile days.

I'll have to take at look at the LD shorts, I use my bicycle shorts now with no issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts