BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this on Shiva's site as well...

A little intimidated by this bike's power at first Remember, it's been seven years since I rode at all. Cold weather in the mid to high 30s here in Green Bay, WI. Saturday after taking delivery, the roads around my neighborhood were dry (we are in the middle of a warm snap) so I decided to cautiously try the bike out some more. Thank God for the heated grips! My new gloves are not in so I was wearing shorter gloves that let the wind in through the cuffs of my jacket. Leather pants not in either so jeans over long underwear was only good for 15 -20 minutes of riding before it got too chilly. Leather, armored jacket kept my chest quite comfortable, though.

Power was just more than I remembered, I guess being on the little neighborhood streets was different than wide open street at dealer for some psychological reason. Tended to underpower bike through slow turns which led to rider feeling the bike wasn't as stable as first thought and causing reduced confidence. Stopped at home, thought about all my errors and took her out again. That time was a whole different experience. Confidence soared with increased feeling of stability and control through low speed turns on city streets. Very little traffic around my parts, BTW. Got a few "are you nuts looks" since I am the only rider fool enough to be out!

Practised slower turns in parking lot, more city streets and the next day took her out on the highway. Two lanes each way, little Sunday traffic. Amazing pickup... Was at 70 before I knew it in 3rd, but put her in 4th anyway. Exited in two miles and rode her back the other way on the highway. Wind on my body was exhilarating but drained my thermal reserves a good bit.

Warmed back up on little roads and took her to the gas station. On the way a car pulled up on my left and just stayed there. I looked over and a young man was just staring at my bike, saw me look and just grinned really wide. At the station, got multiple looks both for "what in the hell are you doing out on a motorcycle" with several double takes to take a closer look at this strange bike. I think most are surprised its a Beemer. THis IS the middle of Harley land, don't you know.

Anyway, the bike is a real pleasure to ride, with much more power than I need - but thats what I wanted Very stable, brutish power on demand, gorgeous, mean looks, IMO, and very comfortable to ride. Doubt I'll have many more days like this before she is stuck for the rest of the winter in the garage. Snow is forecast this week

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
209 Posts
bjoraker said:
Posted this on Shiva's site as well...

A little intimidated by this bike's power at first Remember, it's been seven years since I rode at all. Cold weather in the mid to high 30s here in Green Bay, WI. Saturday after taking delivery, the roads around my neighborhood were dry (we are in the middle of a warm snap) so I decided to cautiously try the bike out some more. Thank God for the heated grips! My new gloves are not in so I was wearing shorter gloves that let the wind in through the cuffs of my jacket. Leather pants not in either so jeans over long underwear was only good for 15 -20 minutes of riding before it got too chilly. Leather, armored jacket kept my chest quite comfortable, though.

Power was just more than I remembered, I guess being on the little neighborhood streets was different than wide open street at dealer for some psychological reason. Tended to underpower bike through slow turns which led to rider feeling the bike wasn't as stable as first thought and causing reduced confidence. Stopped at home, thought about all my errors and took her out again. That time was a whole different experience. Confidence soared with increased feeling of stability and control through low speed turns on city streets. Very little traffic around my parts, BTW. Got a few "are you nuts looks" since I am the only rider fool enough to be out!

Practised slower turns in parking lot, more city streets and the next day took her out on the highway. Two lanes each way, little Sunday traffic. Amazing pickup... Was at 70 before I knew it in 3rd, but put her in 4th anyway. Exited in two miles and rode her back the other way on the highway. Wind on my body was exhilarating but drained my thermal reserves a good bit.

Warmed back up on little roads and took her to the gas station. On the way a car pulled up on my left and just stayed there. I looked over and a young man was just staring at my bike, saw me look and just grinned really wide. At the station, got multiple looks both for "what in the hell are you doing out on a motorcycle" with several double takes to take a closer look at this strange bike. I think most are surprised its a Beemer. THis IS the middle of Harley land, don't you know.

Anyway, the bike is a real pleasure to ride, with much more power than I need - but thats what I wanted Very stable, brutish power on demand, gorgeous, mean looks, IMO, and very comfortable to ride. Doubt I'll have many more days like this before she is stuck for the rest of the winter in the garage. Snow is forecast this week

Just my 2 cents.
Glad you got out before the snow. Man you are one tough dude riding the that cold weather. I do it here but I've got a heated vest and top-notch BMW riding gear (not to mention about 4 layers under that). Cold never keeps me from riding but I don't go out if it's already raining.

I've had a couple of rides thru the snow. Not sure I want to repeat that. Glad I'm in California. Can't imagine having to put my bikes away for the winter. Best of luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts