BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it’s the first day since spring started where it is quite warm, like at least a 10 deg difference form the day before and the usual temps …just finished a ride and the bike was riding really strange …the idle was higher than normal sitting at around 1200 rpm where it usually sits at around 1k rpm …hence whenever letting off the throttle instead of dropping right back down to 1 k it would idle a bit too high making slow riding a bit jerky and not smooth like normal ….

my question is does it take the computer a day or two to adjust to the warmer weather usually ..or should it just adjust whenever it happens immediately ? Just trying to figure out if I have some sort of problem or tye bike is just going through an adjustment processs after it riding in cold weather for months and now all of a sudden it’s much warmer ?

I normally would of waited a day or two before asking but really hate how it rode just now, did not enjoy that ride at all …was kind of going between low throttle right into motor braking where I usually have a throttle control sweet spot that kind of rides between the two ….it was like a whole different bike today …..want to sort this out asap as I have some longer rides planned in the next few days…

thanks in advance for anyone with some insight…

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe it being the first warm day is just a coincidence and it could be lambda 02 sensor or vacuum leak somewhere ..probably most likely something like taht over the comp not adjusting for the warmer air ? Has been riding great all winter so just thought it weird first kinda hot day tye bike rides entirely different …

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,417 Posts
Adaptation, I suggest you turn on the ignition key do not start the bike. Open the throttle to full and back to zero three times carefully. turn off the key. Let set for a ten seconds and start it up. Throttle reset.
Sitting for awhile, fresh fuel is needed and for sure some injector cleaner into the fuel. See where you are after that and a few hundred miles. Lucky you, summer just starting. Winter coming here, rats.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beech :

thanks so much for the advice !
Injector cleaner and fresh tank of 98 gas was done last night ….throttle reset which I did not know about will be in 5 mins when I head out to the bike..
the bike has not been sitting, I ride at Least a few times per day every day all through winter rain or shine … it just really did not like the warmer weather …..later on when it cooled down for the evening the bike rode great again…same thing the next day …rode weird in the hotter day time , great again at night when it was 8 deg cooler ….hopefully the injector cleaner and throttle reset help out ! Going on a long run today so everything will have its chance to work it’s magic…
can you still ride where you are in winter or do you have to park the bike because of snow and cold?
thank you so much for the info and advice!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beech : mate your knowledge of these bikes is amazing and you are an absolute wizard ! I can’t thank you enough !
I did the throttle reset you suggested and it’s now like I have a new bike !
the idle is as a solid as a rock dead on 1 k doesn’t waver even the tiniest amount …not even a little under any circumstances !
Turns out when I thought my bike was running good in cold weather it actually was not as the idle Has been a bit wavy the whole time …you know how it makes that woo woo woo sound as the idle bounces around a bit between 900 and 1100 rpm ..i
Since your throttle reset it’s just a dead steady solid purr ! Freakin amazing ! Like seriously big difference, I’m very thrilled s it always bothered me a little ! Have been thinking for awhile of all the diff maintenance things to try to sort that out and bam in two seconds you fixed it hahha thanks so much mate !
should that be a maintenance thing someone with one of these bikes does once a month or something like that ? Is there any downfall to doing the reset on a regular basis to keep the idle perfect?
Do you have any other magical tricks like that to keep the bike in tip top shape ..any other reset Things a k1200r owner should know ?
this one was an absolute must an owner of one of these bikes should know ! I could of had her purring the whole way haha
i thought that kinda wavy idle and woo woo sound was just how these were maybe as I watched quite a few YouTube videos of these bikes and they all had an idle like that ! All those owners probably just needed to reset therir throttles haha
knowledge is everything !

thanks again Beech your the best !

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,417 Posts
OH man so true. I was furious for months. If you have a favorite thread or bit of information, copy it. Not just a link to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts