BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from my first ride in the rain on my K1200R. Having had many boxer BMWs I was well aware of their ability in the rain but I've been a little nervous about taking my KR up in the hills in case it rained not knowing how it would respond.

The bike did WAY better than I thought it would. Very easy to control over roads that were wet/muddy/wet mixed with gravel... This bike has always been a little "snatchy" at lower RPMs (under 3,000) so I wasn't looking forward to my first few turns on a wet surface. To tell you the truth I think what helped the snatchy throttle the most was the Evoluzione air filters I recently fitted. In addition to the extra power and more sound out of the air box I was hoping that there would be an impact on the low RPM fueling. There is. To tell you the truth this was actually of more value than the extra power since I can now take low RPM turns with more confidence since the fueling is MUCH more consistant.

I was also interested in how easy it would be to clean the bike after getting it all muddy. I would rate the ease of cleaning far ahead of my R1200GS which seems to be a complete mess everytime I ride in the rain. Can't complain about the GS in the rain either. I've gone hundreds of miles in the rain on that one. Now I've got total confidence in both bikes when it starts pouring.

Also had some serious side winds on the freeway comming back. The bike was VERY stable under those conditions also.

Just thought I would pass this on since I don't remember reading anything about this yet and...we're about to get wet for a while .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Riding in the rain

I just got back from a beautiful week in Hawaii and came back to a rainy SoCal weekend. I couldn't resist and took the K1200r out for quick local spin in Huntington Beach. The streets were pretty wet, but the bike was fine. Mine does not seem to be snatchy at all at low RPM's. I also have a R1200gs (blue & black) and now a silver & black K1200r. I love the GS and I am confident I will feel the same about the new K. I have only had 1 day to ride it and it was in the wet. Can't wait to put some real miles on it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Separated at birth??

souleman said:
I just got back from a beautiful week in Hawaii and came back to a rainy SoCal weekend. I couldn't resist and took the K1200r out for quick local spin in Huntington Beach. The streets were pretty wet, but the bike was fine. Mine does not seem to be snatchy at all at low RPM's. I also have a R1200gs (blue & black) and now a silver & black K1200r. I love the GS and I am confident I will feel the same about the new K. I have only had 1 day to ride it and it was in the wet. Can't wait to put some real miles on it.
Just saw your post and your profile. Hmmm. I just got back from Hawaii, live in Northern California , have been riding BMWs since 1998 and have owned 13 of them. Two of which you also have right now...interesting.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Having just come in from washing my R1200GS (for the last time??), I'm very interested in knowing how my soon-to-be-k1200r will behave on wet roads and how easy/hard it is to clean. The GS is IMO, a nightmare to clean.

Any chance of you posting a picture of a dirty K1200R, so I can see how/where they get dirty? :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TheJoker said:
Having just come in from washing my R1200GS (for the last time??), I'm very interested in knowing how my soon-to-be-k1200r will behave on wet roads and how easy/hard it is to clean. The GS is IMO, a nightmare to clean.

Any chance of you posting a picture of a dirty K1200R, so I can see how/where they get dirty? :)

Thanks!
I'm cadave on the ukgsr site. We've been going back and forth just a bit.

The KR is MUCH easier to clean. Mine's black on the bottom half of the bike which already helped anyway but...

Under the rear fender there's much less to do. It cleans up real nice. The worst part in the back is the license plate holder and it's not bad. You'll find that any luggage rack/bags on the rear come out WAY better as well. The wheels are a snap and the engine gets almost nothing on it. In the front the biggest pain is the grille that covers the radiator and it, also, isn't that bad. There's not much to do with the top of the bike and nothing makes it's way under the seat. The rear shock is a little harder to get to as is the front shock. Otherwise, I think you will be very happy.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Boxers in the rain.

NakedRider said:
Having had many boxer BMWs I was well aware of their ability in the rain but I've been a little nervous about taking my KR up in the hills in case it rained not knowing how it would respond.
What is the ability of boxer BMWs in the rain?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Larry said:
What is the ability of boxer BMWs in the rain?
Larry,

I had always heard that it was because of the firing impulses of the engine. The time between power impulses is when you have traction. It seemed to make sense since I've also had a Speed Triple, whose firing order was only 120 degrees apart and it was HORRIBLE on a wet surface.

Now I'm not sure that there isn't more to it since the K1200R is a four.

What ever it is this bike is well suited to a wet road, much like their twins. I've spent countless hours the past few years on twin BMWs and they seemed to handle the rain better than other bikes I've had at the same time. I know that rider imput is important as well but these are great bikes in the rain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Separated at birth.

You have owned 13 BMW's since 1998? I wasn't sure if that was a typo or not. I was buzzing around a little bit yesterday, in and out of the rain. The K12R just needed a moist towel to clean it, I ended up doing it twice. The GS does have a lot more nooks & crannies to get to. I put about 19000 miles on my GS last year. I have about 75 on K12R. They are obviously completely different kind of motorcycles. Do you have a preference? I have enjoy riding the GS so much, I don't know if anything could replace it. I will probably end up keeping both. Which do you find yourself riding more often?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
NakedRider said:
I'm cadave on the ukgsr site. We've been going back and forth just a bit.
Aaah - "We meet again, Mister Bond... :cool: "

NakedRider said:
The KR is MUCH easier to clean. Mine's black on the bottom half of the bike which already helped anyway but...
Ahaha! Excellent philosophy!

NakedRider said:
Under the rear fender there's much less to do. It cleans up real nice. The worst part in the back is the license plate holder and it's not bad. You'll find that any luggage rack/bags on the rear come out WAY better as well. The wheels are a snap and the engine gets almost nothing on it. In the front the biggest pain is the grille that covers the radiator and it, also, isn't that bad. There's not much to do with the top of the bike and nothing makes it's way under the seat. The rear shock is a little harder to get to as is the front shock. Otherwise, I think you will be very happy.
Washing the GS is like washing a set of scaffolding poles with a tooth brush... takes time to get it right.
I'm very pleased to hear that it's easier to wash. I hate having dirty bikes, but I'm no cotton-bud-polisher either.

Does the KR have any such syndromes like the GS' like the horribly filthy left boot and trourser-leg?

.. Can't wait for to get the bike and the roads to dry up! :teeth

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
souleman said:
You have owned 13 BMW's since 1998? I wasn't sure if that was a typo or not. I was buzzing around a little bit yesterday, in and out of the rain. The K12R just needed a moist towel to clean it, I ended up doing it twice. The GS does have a lot more nooks & crannies to get to. I put about 19000 miles on my GS last year. I have about 75 on K12R. They are obviously completely different kind of motorcycles. Do you have a preference? I have enjoy riding the GS so much, I don't know if anything could replace it. I will probably end up keeping both. Which do you find yourself riding more often?
It's not a typo. 13 BMWs since '98. I've had quite a variety. I've got three right now. I loved each one but was always in the mood to change. I've had other brands as well but keep returning to BMW.

You are right the KR and GS are completely different bikes. It depends on my mood as to which one I take. I'm 52 years old the the GS is a great choice when I just don't want any pain upon return. I can ride that thing all day long and not get tired or have any hurting body parts. First time in a long time for that. It's always a fun ride too. It's the first bike I've put 15,000 miles on in one year. My previous record was about 12,000. Keep in mind that I usually had at least two to three bikes at any given time. The GS is also the most customized bike I've ever had. I have carbon fibre tank panels, nose piece, hand guards, front engine cover, front fender, hugger .... It looks WAY cool. I'll post some pics. I have Ohlins, a full Remus and an enhanced intake snorkel as well. I can't imagine being without this bike either.

The KR is my choice when I'm feeling naughty, however. It's just always ready for a fight. I love the handling, power, sound...name it. This is one cool bike. It's not as comfortable as the GS but does have a suprisingly plush ride on the freeway. I've done a couple 300 + mile days on it and it handled that quite well.

Which one is my favorite?? The GS by a hair right now but the KR is gaining on it and you know how quickly that can happen ;^)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TheJoker said:
Does the KR have any such syndromes like the GS' like the horribly filthy left boot and trourser-leg?

.. Can't wait for to get the bike and the roads to dry up! :teeth
Funny you should mention that. I thought it was just me. The right leg has gotten filthy on some rides as well. Never could figure it out.

Answer is no. The KR doesn't do that. Come to think of it the GS is the only bike that ever has.

·
Registered
8 Posts
KR & GS

I understand, I have 3 BMW's in the garage as well, put 19000 on my gs last year. I have Remus header, Staintune pipe & Bitubo shocks on it, no CF as of yet. I feel the same way about it, comfortable and great for long rides. It also handles exceptionally well for that style of bike. I know what you mean about the KR, I rode it to work today. There is a guy who I run into sometimes on a K1200rs on my way home, who I usually end up in a good natured drag race with down PCH. I can hang with him up to a point on the GS and then he ends up pulling away. Not tonight though, I have just ridden the K about a hundred miles and this was the first time I really opened it up. WOW, it is REALLY fast. I left the RS so far behind me I couldn't believe it. This is a bike you could seriously lose your license on.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
souleman said:
I understand, I have 3 BMW's in the garage as well, put 19000 on my gs last year. I have Remus header, Staintune pipe & Bitubo shocks on it, no CF as of yet. I feel the same way about it, comfortable and great for long rides. It also handles exceptionally well for that style of bike. I know what you mean about the KR, I rode it to work today. There is a guy who I run into sometimes on a K1200rs on my way home, who I usually end up in a good natured drag race with down PCH. I can hang with him up to a point on the GS and then he ends up pulling away. Not tonight though, I have just ridden the K about a hundred miles and this was the first time I really opened it up. WOW, it is REALLY fast. I left the RS so far behind me I couldn't believe it. This is a bike you could seriously lose your license on.
I've had two K1200RS bikes as well. You're right. They are no where near as fast as a KR. I have to say that when I owned my first KRS I thought it was very stable as well. Then I had a couple of Boxer Cup Preps. Same stable ride but much lighter.

The KR just does it for me. Extreme stability coupled with that much power...whew, it's just awesome. Unlike any beemer I've ever had.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Stop it you guys... :rolleyes: You're making me crawl out of my skin in anticipation for the KR...

More daylight, less work, no rain and the KR... gimmegimme :teeth

1 - 14 of 14 Posts