BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did the Evoluzione air filters last week but did not get a chance to ride due to heavy rain and then being out of town for New Year.

Tonight as every Wednesday night, the NorCal group went to dinner. I took the K12R out and fired it up. Ran nice and smooth at idle. Then I took off for the dinner destination. Just 100 yds from my driveway the throttle stuck open and the rpms went to 10K before I shut it down. Started it again and same thing at idle. Shut it down and walked the bike back into the garage. Took the left side air intake panels off and looked for a pinched or bent throttle cable. Did not see anything pinched. Moved a couple wiring harnesses around and fired up the bike. It ran good. Put panels back and went for my ride. Bike ran like a scalded ape.

BTW, this is the second K12R that I have witnessed having the throttle stuck wide open after mods. Be careful when you are moving things around or installing stuff on the bike.

Bike currently has 867 miles, Remus full titanium system and Evoluzione air filter kit

Definite increase in power and low end TQ. I will do a dyno run sometime next week.

It is noisier with the air box mod. However, it has a nice growl now.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
raffyk,

Very pleased to hear about the performance and growl-increase. However, the stuck throttle worries me quite a bit. Do you think there'sa way to pinpoint it? Is it common to the K1200S too?

I've been in the position where my throttle has jammed open before, and thinking of it, anything could have happened - things that I wouldn't want anyone else to experience.

Looking forward to the dyno-run :teeth

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did you disconnect the battery?

To reset the ECU? very important step when adding the second air filter since the bike is now in effect recieving twice the available air- If I were a bettig man I say that was the cause of the out of control RPM's- if you did reset the ECU and it has not done it again, no clue...just my .02

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The way I see it, everything on the bike is packed tight. I do remember having to unsecure the flat electronic unit so I could reach the far corners of the air box to cut. When re-securing the unit, I may have pushed/pinched something. Last night I unsecured it again, and moved the wiring harness attached to it. Secured it back again with the rubber bands and fired up the bike. No more issues.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know full well the ramifications of a stuck wide open throttle. My new to me 996 Ducati did that. Causing me to ping-pong between two cars and flying through the air. Luckily I had no physical damage after the get off. But the bike was a total loss.

·
Rider Journeyman
502 Posts
raffyk said:
...Just 100 yds from my driveway the throttle stuck open and the rpms went to 10K before I shut it down. Started it again and same thing at idle. ...
BTW, this is the second K12R that I have witnessed having the throttle stuck wide open after mods....
Howdy Raffy,

It's okay to let people know that Wolfgang was the other "stuck throttle" on this modification. ;)

When it happened on my K-R, while I never identified exactly what the cause was, it seems to have been a very, very..... very, slight re-route of the throttle cable on the right-hand side of the bike. There was a band that held the cable in place along its path and it "seemed" to be pushed off course just a tiny bit.:confused:

Suggestions for those doing this mod, or Air filter replacement, on the K-R and the K-S. While the K-S may not have the same problem due to more available space, but it wouldn't hurt to follow these as well:

1-When the modification is in place, and before panels are re-attached....fire up the bike at rest and "stab" the throttle to check for "sticking". Keep a finger on the "kill switch".
2-Once the throttle is confirmed okay, put panels on.
3-Test throttle again at rest in the garage.
4-Then have the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!!:D :D :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
raffyk said:
BTW, this is the second K12R that I have witnessed having the throttle stuck wide open after mods. Be careful when you are moving things around or installing stuff on the bike.
Ok Raffy, confession time. You now know three people that had that happen...but I know what I did:

After cutting the hole on the left side I dampend a shop towel and stuffed it in the air box to catch any chips that might fly off as I "smoothed" out the hole. After I was satisfied with the fit of the filter I buttoned eveything back up and started the bike. It idled a little rough but I thought maybe it was just cold so I took it for a test ride. The bike stalled at stops a couple of times and didn't seem right. After a light I gave it about half throttle and a car changed lanes in front of me. I backed off on the gas and ... I kept going. The throttle was stuck at about 5,000 RPMs. I changed lanes, pulled in the clutch and hit the kill switch.

After stopping every time I would start the bike it would run instantly up to red line. I ended up pushing the bike home and "punishing" it by parking it.

The next day at work I thought "this must be something real simple". So, when I got home I started taking things apart. First the right side. Probably pinched the throttle cable. Nope. Next to the left side. Can't see anything. I took off the filter and felt something wet hit the back of my hand. What could that be?? I had left the shop towel in the airbox. Could explain things. It was jammed down the velocity stack and was holding the butterfly valve open.

After taking out the rag the bike still started at red line. Must be a chip of plastic suck in the butterfly valve. So I vaccumme the airbox out. A piece of plastic did come out.

I start it up but the idle is real irregular. I try a test ride anyway. Way too dangerous. The bike is surging. I decide to park it as "punishment" again.

The next day I figure I'm in over my head and decide to call A&S. No one answers. I figure they are closed for the holiday. I try again Saturday. Still no answer. Just for grins I go out into the garage and start it again. Hmmm. Nice smooth idle. I took it for a test ride. That's when I found in will spin the back tire and lift the front in 2nd gear at 6,000 RPM.

Not sure if this was an ECU problem or what but I took it for a test ride up in the canyons and found that it's now running great.

Looks like three out of three of us that I know had some kind of issue with this mod even though mine was a self-inflicted wound ;^)

I did notice, however, that if you move the throttle cable around the RPMs at idle tend to vary. Don't feel real good about that but plan to ask A&S about it. That would have nothing to do with the mod.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting. I used a terry cloth rag to pick up the plastic pieces (inside the air box) since they cling well to terry cloth. It might be possible that a piece went into the stack. But I know I did not leave the rag in there.

Rode today to work and back. Took the long way in using the freeway and had no issues.

So either a piece of plastic fell in the stack and held the butterfly valve open or the throttle cable moved in such a way that it caused the rpms to rise. I did not take the right side panels off to determine if the problem was there. Just the left.

·
Registered
209 Posts
raffyk said:
So either a piece of plastic fell in the stack and held the butterfly valve open or
I'm betting this is going to happen to folks. After having removed the rag and it was still red lining I stuck one hand down the stack and found that I could hold the valve closed and reduce the RPMs. That's when I knew more than just the rag had gotten in there.

The stack just lifts off. Not much holds in in place and there is only a "directional" notch to line up when you put it back on.

I'm thinking everyone needs to be VERY carefull with this mod. A small piece of plastic could cause a HUGE problem and it may not happen right away. You might make it several blocks before it gets sucked in there.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I second the caution and suggest the following:

For those who are planning on doing this mod, maybe it would be best to remove the air box. Cut the opening for the air filter, clean up all the burrs etc. and then re-install the box and finish buttoning everything up. This way there is no chance of anything going into the velocity stack by covering the stacks with a rag while working on the air box on your work bench.

This will take longer to do the mod but save major headaches down the road.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ok...I have to fess up

Man this feels like confession...but when I cut the hole for the second filter (and yes I did disconnect the battery) and installed the filter- I pulled out the extra plastic and notice mucho shavings in the airbox- I immediatly vaccumed the airbox area thouroughly and then put a clean rag in the intake and vaccumed it again, once convinced I had a clean airbox, reassembled the airbox w/ the new airtake in place, reconnected the battery and started the bike...it too rev'd to redline and I immediatly switched off the iginition, I repeated starting the bike a few times and had the same result, well after a half dozen starts the bike started to have lower and lower increased rpms.. to the point it eventually started and stayed at the normal idle, phew!!!! I was worried- well I now have have 450 miles or so on the bike (added the filters w/ less than 20 miles- same day I picked up the bike!) and it runs extremley well to say the least-

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Guys,

Thanks for sharing this! I think it's a very delicate matter as it could cost someone's life or at best a huge scare. Interesting to see that the tolerances get smaller and smaller and we have to be more and more careful... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
We all reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and doing the throttle opening and closing. I'm wondering if the ECU is doing a self reset once it determines there is more airflow and opening the throttle to redline several times. Or we all had some plastic go in the velocity stack and kept the butterfly open until it got dislodged.

The bigger question. If a piece of plastic did get in the velocity stack and went through, what are the ramifications?

BTW, I went back in the garage last night and opened the box up again by removing the filter and and to make sure there were no more plastic pieces. Found some very tiny ones in the small crevices around the velocity stack. I think I got them all. Buttoned everything up and started the bike. No problems. Rode to work today in the fog. Glad to say no issues.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
This modification sounds like a good thing to do (excluding jammed throttles :p ) - for me at least, photos would be excellent. :) Any chance of seeing some photos of either how it's done or some before-after pictures... :cool:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
i've been watching this thread and trying to determine where the problem is as i've installed a lot of these kits and never experienced this issue. this morning i diassembled a bike trying to come up with an answer for you guys (i don't believe it is from the plastic cuttings because they would be sucked through the system, not just stick to the throttle body). anyway, about the only thing i could find was that when installing the right side filter (not the cut side), if you are not careful you can accidently pull the throttle cable out of the housing at the handlebar. this will keep the throttle open about 20% and allow it to immediately rev when started. i also tried the ecu reset with the cable like this and it did not fully seat it in the housing. i did not find anything else that might explain this issue (but again, i've done a lot of them so i may be taking some steps for granted).

anyway, i appreciate the discussion about this and we will modify our instructions to hopefully eliminate something like this happening in the future.

as a side note, you, the customer, should not be afraid to contact the manufacturer if you have issues or problems with a product you purchased. i've talked to a lot of people in the industry and a lot of them claim the same thing - they don't hear about an issue until someone posts it on a website.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts