BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2004 KRS and I'm working on ride-ability modifications.
I absolutely love this bike. I will keep my '85 KRS but I'm not sure how much I'll ride it once I get the '04 dialed. The issue is..... that I'm working with a 6'6'' body and old knees. 34 inch inseam. The seat most likely will be sent off to Rocky Mayer for
a revamp to relocate the "step". Shouldn't be an issue.

My big concern currently is finding lower foot peg mounts. I know this modification will decrease cornering angles but that's the price I'll have to pay. The GSA covers the RickyRacer thing well enough. I just need to modify the "new" RS to where I don't cramp up every 30 miles.

My question to all of you is this...
About how much more "lowering" will the American Manufacturing foot peg plates (sold through Pirates Lair) get me?

I currently have the stock pegs in their lowest position and I still need to "get down." I know that the first year (98-01) RS's had higher stock pegs than the "04. Any personal experience with the AmMa set-up for the final year Brick"???
I hate to spend the bucks on something that won't gain me some extra room, and in my case every little bit helps.
Thanks in advance. Fite

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Charles960 said:
I put lowered pegs on my '01. And put seat in high position. My knees are much happier. At 6'6" you may need seat work too as you suggest. How about a GS?

Charles

Thanks C960. Still don't know if the Pirates Lair AmMa pieces will result in any difference on my '04.

As for suggesting a GS
I've got that covered. I'm on my third one of those. Wore out an '83 80 G/S.
Put 80K on a '95 R1100 GS....
and I'm well on my way to wearing out my third one.
'05 1150 ADV "BiggerBird"
I just like how the K12 fits in as a alternate (not replacement) for the GS.
My '85 KRS fits very well with a modified Corbin Gunfighter. Just sayin'

Anybody else out there know if PLair's peg mod will make things mobetter on an "04
Fite

·
Registered
24 Posts
lowering pegs

I just installed ( last week) the lowering kit on my '03 GT . The pegs are lowered about 1 1/8th +/-. There is an improvement in the knee angle although I haven't ridden any meaningful distance to determine if they make a considerable difference. My first impression tho' is favorable.
Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JeffG said:
I just installed ( last week) the lowering kit on my '03 GT . The pegs are lowered about 1 1/8th +/-. There is an improvement in the knee angle although I haven't ridden any meaningful distance to determine if they make a considerable difference. My first impression tho' is favorable.
Jeff

Thanks Jeff.
Which conversion did you end up using?
Was it the AmMa setup from PLair?
Can I assume that OEM stock pegs (low setting) on your '03 GT would be identical to the same on an '04 RS??
Anybody?
Fite

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought the Am unit from Pirates Lair. Nicely machined..very clean work. I believe that the set-up is identical on the rs and gt models although I'm still a newbie on the subject. Speak with Amber at P-Lair ..she seems to know her stuff.
Jeff

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
Here we go again with the I just got a K12 and it doesn't fit me

Dude, the bike comes with some adjustments from the factory.
Try them first.

I understand that what I'm about to tell you is counter-intuitive to everything you think you know, but here goes.

First thing you need to do is ride the bike as is for several hundreds of miles. Give your whiny old knees and achy little arms a chance to adjust....really adjust. A quick hundred mile jaunt tells you nothing. The process takes a lot of time and a lot of miles.

Try lowering the stock seat.

And ( here comes some real heresy ) try raising the footpegs to their highest position.

It's all about the angles of the knees and hips, not how low you can make the pegs

Yeah, yeah you're saying. WTF does shook sez know?

I'm 6'4", 36" inseam. I've got a '98 K12RS with 93+ thousand miles on it.
I struggled for the first 30K miles with the pegs in the low position, then one day had an absolute friggin' epiphany and raised the pegs. Been there ever since. Had I listened to conventional wisdom, I'd still be miserable.

Work with what you have for a few thousand miles, don't be pissing money away on stuff you may not really need.

IMO, of course.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JeffG said:
I bought the Am unit from Pirates Lair. Nicely machined..very clean work. I believe that the set-up is identical on the rs and gt models although I'm still a newbie on the subject. Speak with Amber at P-Lair ..she seems to know her stuff.
Jeff

Thanks for the info.
Fite

·
Registered
53 Posts
shook sez said:
I struggled for the first 30K miles with the pegs in the low position, then one day had an absolute friggin' epiphany and raised the pegs. Been there ever since
:clap: :rotf:

Couldn't agree more. You need to give your body a chance to adjust to the "new" riding position. I found myself constantly being attracted to more and more "comfortable" motorcycles until I found myself one day riding around on an underpowered KLR in a "perfectly" upright riding position catching every fly and gust of wind out there... until I too had an "ephiphany" and realized that spine jolting bumps ('cause all the weight was on my ass) and barn door aerodynamics weren't improving my comfort level. I went full circle back to sporting machines (now an RS) and couldn't be happier and more comfortable.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well, all I can say is that I've had my K12RS since it was new in May of 2000 and I've ridden it with bars up, bars down, pegs up and pegs down and my body most definately prefers it more upright and less scrunched up. I never even heard of a peg lowering kit until I read this thread and I bought a set as soon as I clicked on the link. I don't ride my bike around town, only on the highway. Bikes are too slow for short commutes in the city what with all the dressing and undressing and extra stuff to carry. Faster to drive. The only thing I know about my bike (ergonomically) is how it feels for hours and hours.

Now, ... who's got a link for some reasonably good looking forward foot rests so I can stretch my legs out once in a while on my frequent 700+ mile trips?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
My first ride on my new to me 03 K1200RS:Foot pegs in the high position, seat stuck on low ,shifter too low and handlebars all the way back........500 Miles of pain and discomfort.....! :(

First I put the pegs down, raised the seat and experimented with the handlebars. They work best all the way forward, Bike feels lighter on steering and there is a lot less pressure on your hands. I also readjusted the clutch and brake controls (Turned them down) so I don't have to lift my fingers so much to grab them and can ride with my fingers on the brake in traffic (just in case.....!). I also put a 5" piece of 1" rubber hose between the seat and tank at the upper front, it pushes the seat back and the "flaps" out just enough that I do not slide anymore and can now grab the seat with my thighs for agressive riding. I then took the bike out for a week long 2,500 miles test ride, came back without a sore bum,back or knees, but did get sore arms from all the twisties.....! :teeth
It took a while to set all the ergos, but I wanted to work with what I had without spending any money, and I am quite pleased with the results. :thumb:
So now I know that I do not need a new seat, bar backs or peg lowering kit........but that a set of Ohlins will be very nice. :twocents:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
h96669 said:
My first ride on my new to me 03 K1200RS:Foot pegs in the high position, seat stuck on low ,shifter too low and handlebars all the way back........500 Miles of pain and discomfort.....! :(

First I put the pegs down, raised the seat and experimented with the handlebars. They work best all the way forward, Bike feels lighter on steering and there is a lot less pressure on your hands. I also readjusted the clutch and brake controls (Turned them down) so I don't have to lift my fingers so much to grab them and can ride with my fingers on the brake in traffic (just in case.....!). I also put a 5" piece of 1" rubber hose between the seat and tank at the upper front, it pushes the seat back and the "flaps" out just enough that I do not slide anymore and can now grab the seat with my thighs for agressive riding. I then took the bike out for a week long 2,500 miles test ride, came back without a sore bum,back or knees, but did get sore arms from all the twisties.....! :teeth
It took a while to set all the ergos, but I wanted to work with what I had without spending any money, and I am quite pleased with the results. :thumb:
So now I know that I do not need a new seat, bar backs or peg lowering kit........but that a set of Ohlins will be very nice. :twocents:

Thank you. I'll play with it a bit and give it a shot.
Winter showed up here and the RS has been put away. I've got all winter to think about mods. It's gonna be a looooong winter. Fite

1 - 12 of 12 Posts