BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm approaching an in-town intersection and I see a car waiting to turn left across my path, besides slowing down, I sometimes flash my highbeam on/off to be sure they see me. I can't decide if this is the safe thing to do or not. Lately it seems like drivers will take this as a signal that they are to go ahead and try to quickly cross in front of me, rather than just sitting tight, which is what I'm trying to signal. (ABS just saved my bacon a couple of days ago, no doubt about it). I wonder if the seperation space has got something to do with it-the closer you are the more likely they are to jump? Any comments?

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
It seems to me that people usually flash lights to say it's ok for the other driver to move over or do something. It's an acknowledgement that one sees or approves of the other. By you flashing your lights it sounds like you are saying it's ok for the other driver to turn or cross.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I run the Kisan Pathblazer which constantly flashes the high beam. It does get a lot of attention from cage drivers but I admit it does sometimes confuse people into thinking I would tell them to turn in front of me. The first few times this happened I was quite surprised but then I realized I was the one sending the mixed signals.
Still, it gets the cagers attention, and that's the intent. We motorcyclists need to "read" the reactions of all others that might cross our path and assume that they will cut us off. If they misread any of our signals, let them go and let's not get impatient or p.o.'d about it. It's all about OUR ride.
Be safe out there.
In snowy Pittsburgh, suffering from PMS for the third day :((

·
Registered
377 Posts
Skip the flashing lights and weave...

I don't always do it, but I will weave back and forth as I approach a busy intersection, and only when I believe a driver that could do me harm is not paying attention or hasn't seen me.

It works. You can see their head pop up and shift in my direction. Give it a try.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bmw Sport Touring Board

Keep flashing your lights at intersections and you will be in the ride well I just crashed section of the BMW Sport Touring Board soon. Are you new to driving, riding or planet?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I ride with moto lights on,low beams on,if I think some one isn't going to stop or pull out in front of me I will hit the brights and leave them on till I pass.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I too.....agree...

Razel said:
Personally, I would expect them to move in front of me if I flashed my lights at them. If you want to get their attention and stay put, get a headlight modulator. Even then, I'd expect them to move in front of me, flashing (w/modulator) or not. They're like deer, you don't really know what they're going to do, and there's no sure way to get predictable results.
I would agree if you "flash" the light at someone coming out of an intersection is dangerous. They almost positively think you are letting them out and pull right in front of you. A headlight modulator would definately be better. Myself, I ride during the daylight hours with my highbeam going. It may be annoying, but, it gets their attention. Being a trucker, flashing of the lights usually means someone is letting you out (specifically when you see trucks "flashing" their lights to tell the truck in front that it is safe to move over, such as after they have passed and cleared you). I would not recommend the flash mode.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I got to go with Scott .. Are you just dumb or what? Everyone who's been driving more than 2 weeks knows that flashing ones lights means go ahead.. sheesh... Or maybe this is a troll?? I also do the weave the bike thing when aproching an intersection, seems to help wake the cages up and at least helps them notice me.. I'll also use high beams, if warented, keep my thumb on the horm buttom, and be ready for anything.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, that takes care of the intentional high beam flashing, but due to the way many bike headlights are mounted like an R1150R, the headlight looks like it is flashing to high beam when the bike hits a bump even when on low beam. Very hard to tell what is intended for the opposing traffic. No need to flash anything in that case. I leave the high beam on a lot during the day and believe it is a much better way to go.

Mary

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
flashing light update

Just had a wierd couple of drivers in a row one day. I've got 55,000 miles on a 98 krs, about 30,000 on a V-65 Magna and misc. miles on variety of friend's bikes, about 75% of it in big city driving, including winter. Been down once, high-sided on the edge of a soft gravel road-so I ain't a beginner-maybe just lucky?? I think a quick flash AT A CERTAIN DISTANCE doesn't look any different to a cage than a bike bouncing after a bump, but suppose the answer is to go to high and leave it on thru the intersection. Weaving back and forth seems like it's asking for trouble of some kind. I agree with the trucker that a flash only means "go ahead". I think the modulators are irritating and make you look kinda neurotic. A yellow bike (taxi), a white helmet, ABS, having the high beam on all the time in traffic and just being generally scared of cars is the best combo...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Looks like you will be with us

Glad you came to that conclusion. Thought you may be checking out soon. NOW; does anyone have a solution for the cell phone operator that drifts left of center?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks......but....

beemermeup said:
Just had a wierd couple of drivers in a row one day. I've got 55,000 miles on a 98 krs, about 30,000 on a V-65 Magna and misc. miles on variety of friend's bikes, about 75% of it in big city driving, including winter. Been down once, high-sided on the edge of a soft gravel road-so I ain't a beginner-maybe just lucky?? I think a quick flash AT A CERTAIN DISTANCE doesn't look any different to a cage than a bike bouncing after a bump, but suppose the answer is to go to high and leave it on thru the intersection. Weaving back and forth seems like it's asking for trouble of some kind. I agree with the trucker that a flash only means "go ahead". I think the modulators are irritating and make you look kinda neurotic. A yellow bike (taxi), a white helmet, ABS, having the high beam on all the time in traffic and just being generally scared of cars is the best combo...
Thank you for backing me up............My solution is that, since my bike is probably "up" for the winter, I am installing a Harpoon missle launcher on the handlebars. If a cage does pull out, the Early Warning System will completely obliterate the vehicle. Especially any with NJ or MA plates.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You'd be surprized at how noticeable your bike is during the day if you just leave your headlight on bright. And it doesn't offend anyone - I've never had an objection from an oncoming car. It also helps "notify" a car in front of you that you've been following him for quite a while and would like to pass.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I never flash lights now. I used to think it was helpful when stationary at intersections - most cages treat flashes as 'OK to pull out', but you risk not seeing a second bike or cage on a collision course. Now the horn is something different and a reason why you need loud ones!

Approaching an intersection with cages ready to pull out I might just switch to main beam, a change can remind them you are there, when really they are only looking the way they want to go!. If they get a bit blinded, they can't see left or right and generally stay put. Might seem unfriendly, but you're the one most vulnerable.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
68 Posts
scot said:
Glad you came to that conclusion. Thought you may be checking out soon. NOW; does anyone have a solution for the cell phone operator that drifts left of center?
.357 magnum :D

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Well there are solutions that cause the phones to drop their radio link to the cell, but they're not legal and they'd probably try even harder to get their line back. Blues and two's probably get cages outa the way, but they're illegal as well. The only way they're goin to drive nice, is if they think your a cop behind them. I notice how cages slow when they're tailed by a white faired bike. We're smaller than they are so we always lose.

I once thought it would be good citizenship to mount a digicam behind the screen so I could take a pic of a cage driver on his cell, whilst showing his rear plate. I also read it's a good idea to keep a disposable film cam with the bike to get evidence if you were ever involved in a traffic incident not your fault.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Weaving back and forth seems like it's asking for trouble of some kind.
It's very safe and takes a 1-2-3 weave and I have their attention. It must be the unexpected movement. I know it works because they will track me through the intersection -head and eyes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't need to flash my headlight at intersections

I've ridden with caliper-mounted MotoLights on this bike since new and I'm amazed at what a difference it's made. Cage drivers see me better and I haven't had anybody pull out in front of me. I had a number of close calls on Harleys, even with the big headlamp and lightbar upgraded with halogen bulbs. I'm convinced it has something to do with light placement. MotoLight says there's research that the "triangle" formed by the headlight and the two low-mounted lights offer better visibility than the alternatives. I'm a believer!

ps Several of my riding buddies have commented how easy it is to pick me out in traffic when we've gotten separated. It's like aircraft landing lights coming up behind you.

Ride Safe,

Bruce

1 - 20 of 33 Posts