BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Fluid(s) Question.....

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  RFWILSON 
#1 ·
I looked through my manual, repair and maintenence CD, and did a search on the site, no luck for my answer(s). The brake fluid calls for DOT 4. I picked up a bottle of ABS type fluid "exceeds DOT 3 & 4", and it is a synthetic. Is this OK to use?(topping off my reservoirs). Next, the rear reservoir under coolant (K12GT) overflow jug, the filler caps, do they have threads or simply pry them up gently because they have a rubber O-ring? and "snap" into place ?. One more, should the coolant overflow jug be more than half full?. I know on some cages the overflow jug has a max and minimal reading level. Of course I am using a high grade coolant 50/50 mix with distilled water. Thanks.

#2 ·
Im Not Sure But Way Back In Time Syn. Brake Fluid Was Prone To Foam If Not Done With A Vacuum Pump ?...i Could Be All Wet?...but In No Way Mix The Two....what Color Is It?....think The Old Stuff Was Purple....good Luck....the Coolent Res Should Be About Halfway When Cold...should Never Really Have To Add Unless You Have A Leak....over Time You Will But Not With In A Year Or Two....

#3 ·
RedHawK12GT said:
I looked through my manual, repair and maintenence CD, and did a search on the site, no luck for my answer(s). The brake fluid calls for DOT 4. I picked up a bottle of ABS type fluid "exceeds DOT 3 & 4", and it is a synthetic. Is this OK to use?(topping off my reservoirs). Next, the rear reservoir under coolant (K12GT) overflow jug, the filler caps, do they have threads or simply pry them up gently because they have a rubber O-ring? and "snap" into place ?. One more, should the coolant overflow jug be more than half full?. I know on some cages the overflow jug has a max and minimal reading level. Of course I am using a high grade coolant 50/50 mix with distilled water. Thanks.
I use Valvoline synthetic brake fluid(has the same parameters as yours on the bottle) with no problems. Just don't use dot 5 fluid.
The brake reservoir filler caps SCREW on and can be a bitch to get off. The center part has an o-ring and swivels when you unscrew the cap.
If you look at the rear of your coolant reservoir there is a "full" and "add" lines on it. I have been leaving my level in the middle. The old K-bikes used to spit out coolant if you kept the level too high.

#4 ·
I'm with Bruce, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid in my 98 K12RS.

Twice a year. Every year. It's cheap, it's damned good stuff.

Stay away from the Dot 5 silicone based stuff.

#5 ·
RedHawK12GT said:
I looked through my manual, repair and maintenence CD, and did a search on the site, no luck for my answer(s). The brake fluid calls for DOT 4. I picked up a bottle of ABS type fluid "exceeds DOT 3 & 4", and it is a synthetic. Is this OK to use?(topping off my reservoirs).
ALL brake fluid is "SYNTHETIC"! There is no such thing as natural brake fluid. Polyglycol ethers do not occur naturally. Designating a brake fluid as "synthetic" is simply a marketing ploy. What other kind of brake fluid is there?

To answer your question, all DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake fluids are required to be fully compatible.

Bob.

#6 ·
RFWILSON said:
ALL brake fluid is "SYNTHETIC"! There is no such thing as natural brake fluid. Polyglycol ethers do not occur naturally. Designating a brake fluid as "synthetic" is simply a marketing ploy. What other kind of brake fluid is there?

To answer your question, all DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake fluids are required to be fully compatible.

Bob.
THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING....THE OLD SILICONE STUFF...I DONT THINK THAT STUFF IS AROUND ANYMORE?

#8 ·
BAK04GT said:
THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING....THE OLD SILICONE STUFF...I DONT THINK THAT STUFF IS AROUND ANYMORE?
Actually, it is. I have an unused quart of the stuff in the basement. :D

I used it in a Honda S600 sprots car I had for years (10,500RPM 600cc screamer ...Honda's very first car ...looked like a half-size E-Jag ....never sold in the US).

Anyway, I loved the stuff. I had a big problem with corrosion in the wheel cylinders that were (not very cleverly) made of aluminum. The moisture absorbed in normal Dot 3/4 was the problem.

So I completely disassembled the braking system and flushed out the lines, then used silicone DOT5. End of problem! No more corroded wheel cylinders. But removing all traces of the DOT3/4 is mandatory.

Bob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.