BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 K1300R
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to get numb fingers after riding my K1300R for less than an hour.. Installed foam grips, which has drastically improved this. Riding over 2 hours and no issues. Highly recommended and cheap.

I used this method to install using alcohol based hand sanitiser as lube., which made the fitting much easier.

·
Registered
K1200R
61 Posts
Absolutely agree. I had Grip Puppies on a previous bike (R1150R Rockster E80 that I had made a few custom mods to.... then it got stolen, cos y'know, London.. anyway...) and swore by them.
But, I personally found them to be a little bit fat so I'd like thinner ones- does anyone know of any?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the same issue with grip puppies, just a tad to thick.
Then i started using tennis racket tape or cricket Bat wrap.
Cheap, sturdy, waterproof/water repellent, works great with heated grips, no glue-no mess and easily removable, plenty of color options if you desire.

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same issue with grip puppies, just a tad to thick.
Then i started using tennis racket tape or cricket Bat wrap.
Cheap, sturdy, waterproof/water repellent, works great with heated grips, no glue-no mess and easily removable, plenty of color options if you desire.

YMMV

Thats very interesting,I have grip puppies fitted for the vibration and hate them.Far too thick.So much so that I wear no gloves with them when possible,not good either.I will look out for this racket tape.👍

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thats very interesting,I have grip puppies fitted for the vibration and hate them.Far too thick.So much so that I wear no gloves with them when possible,not good either.I will look out for this racket tape.
if you are looking for vibration dampening don’t look into the cricket bat grip sleeve. It’s a rubber sleeve that you pulls over your grips, it’s extremely tight to get on but stretches to a fair degree. It makes your gloves stick to your handlebars like glue and protects your original grips from wearing down and no glue is used. But they do not provide any dampening, they are just to thin for that.
Tennis racket grip tape or squash racket grip tape is your best bet for that.

·
Premium Member
2015 K1300S Motosport Edition
154 Posts
For me, stock was too thin but vibration was too high. Grip Puppies were too thick, but more comfortable. Learned to live with the puppies and less vibration. Now, I don't notice the thickness. Just don't give up too soon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It took me a long time to get used to the k1300. I too thought the spindly grips were torture until time and usage made me realize they are superb for altering your grip while riding.

I now prefer them to the larger diameter used in most Japanese bike.

I remember the horrible foam Oury?? Grips form the 80s disgusting things isolating the ridere from input output feel.

Ergonomics is a cruel thing but you can overcome a lot of the issue by placing a greater load on your thumb and index finger where the tube enters the housing. Also do not fully and madly squeeze the grip.

It also helps if you can fit your legs and pelvis to securely be mounted on the bike then you wont be resting so heavily on your hands and wrists.

·
Registered
K1300GT SE / GSX1400 / LRD4
230 Posts
Agree, the "classic" BMW rider position (aka Broomstick up ones ar$e" look) is comfortable on the wrists and the adjustable handlebars are heaven sent. It does feel weird blasting past "boy racers" in their crouch positions as the battlestar galactica that is the K1300GT flashes past.....

i just can't get used to the thin grips, and the vibration I have isolated to the clutch, I may be doing an overhaul soon to fit the updated bearing....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts