BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, proud owner of a 2002 K12RS. Took it in for service to Hermy's (routine scheduled with the shop, nothing out of the ordinary). They gave me a loaner, a nice looking R1200RT. I don't know what year it is. It's similar to my K12 but the biggest difference is the engine, the two horizontally opposed cylinders. I was wondering if anyone here that has a K has taken an R for a ride and what is your impression? Couple things I observed.

The R seems to take more for me to get it up into the higher RPMs. The K seems real easy to get whipped up and going but the R with the two thumping cylinders, it seems to take more from me to get the rpm's up into a useful range.

The sound of the engine. It's not horrible, it's just a different sound from what I'm used to. I'm a fan of my in-line 4 and the purring that I get from it. This one sounds way more like a thump-thump-thump when it's idling. Not quite my style but there must be a lot of people that do like it because the GS is really popular.

The seating position is more upright than on my K. I like that a lot, it's very comfortable. I feel like I'm sitting higher in the air, kind of more on top of the bike rather than in the bike like I feel when I'm on my K12. I"m 46 years old and in decent enough shape. But I could see myself when I get older and maybe the K12 isn't quite so comfortable switching to an R with the more upright seating position. I'm not really tall enough for a GS and I don't really find them attractive but the seating on the R is attractive.

Heated seat and grips. My K12 has heated grips but doesn't have a heated seat. But the R12 does and wow, that is REALLY nice. I rode in this morning and the temperature was 45 degrees this morning. Not cold but slightly uncomfortable on a 30 minute ride to work. The heated seat was terrific, it has a high and low setting and I had it set on high initially and had to turn it back to low.

So there you have it. Forgive me my fellow K riders for I have sinned and ridden an R. But I like motorcycles, all motorcycles, and like to ride as many different kinds as I can get a chance to ride. I'm interested to know if any of you have ever gotten a chance at an R and what you thought.

Safe travels.
Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I have ridden a variety of R1200 models, mostly loaner bikes for when my K1200GT was in the shop. To be honest, they are fun to ride, but I have never been a fan of two cylinder motorcycles. All of the motorcycles that I have owned (since the 1970s) have been four cylinder models.

Here are the things that I do not like about the R1200 motorcycles:

* The entire motorcycle wants to rotate when you apply throttle.
* The limited RPM range. If I recall, they top out at far lower RPMs than my K1200. That means more shifting to stay within the optimum power band.
* The engine vibration, especially at stops. My K1200 is very smooth, but I don't like the engine buzz at 4500-5500 RPMs either.
* Those hot cylinder heads right in front of my feet. At least the hot pipes go under the motorcycle instead of next to your leg, like many Harleys.
* The lower position of the rear view mirrors on R1200RTs. I like to keep my head up, especially when riding in urban traffic. Older R1200RTs had accessory mirror mount holes in the handlebars, but I don't know if the new ones do.

Here are the things I like about R1200 motorcycles:

* The balance and handling. An R1200RT seems lighter than my K1200GT, even though they are very comparable motorcycles other than the engines. Those R1200s lean easily and turn on a dime. My K1200 handles very well, too, but honestly, the R1200s are lighter and easier to flick into turns.
* The immediate torque of a two-cylinder engine.
* The ability to buy an engine guard, and then attach extension footpegs, so I can stretch out my legs once in a while on long rides.
* R1200RTs have nice audio and other accessories along with a nice "ring" control to work them. My K1200GT has none of those.
* Overall ease of maintenance, especially valve checks. (Note: I believe that clutch is much harder, though.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own a 2005 K1200S and a 2007 R1200S. I have always thought that the R bike was an easier bike to ride, and it was possible to use more of the capability of the bike as your average motorcycle rider. The K Bike is lots of fun, and the high revving HP of a 4 cylinder is wonderful, but at least motor-wise it is much more manic than the R bike. . In many ways, such as switch gear, seating position, and a few others there is a lot of commonality. If I had to go to one bike, I would keep the R. I am pleased to say, so far I have not had to make that choice.

My 1.5 cents
Scott

·
Registered
44 Posts
R1200 vs k bike

I have the r1200gs hp2 and a k1200r sport. Love them both they are completely different animals. The k bike will leave the r bike for dead on the highway but my r bike will literally go any where and do anything. For me the r bike is the best bike I have ever had, nothing else even close. The motor on the k is much smother then the r but the trans on the r is much smoother then the k. It's all a matter of preference I ride the k every day pretty much as it's my commuter bike but the r1200gs hp2 will be in my garage long after the k is gone. Riding the r the input needed to do anything is effortless it is like it is part of my body.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts