BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the fork seals on my '90 KLT. I've looked at Clymers and searched some forums for concise instructions for this and haven't found it. All I can find is info. on replacement of springs or forks. Has anyone done just the seals? Do you need to remove the fairing? I'd like to know how much of a job I'm getting myself in to beforehand. I recently did the spline lube job and had no trouble. I'm a bit more concerned about not getting something related to handling "right".
Any advice most welcome.
Thanks. Steve

·
Registered
100 Posts
Most likely you will find a detailed writeup somewhere in this forum.
However, basically, this is not a big job.

I take it for granted that you know how to replace the seals.

To get to them, the easiest way is to pull the lower forktubes downwards.
Find a 2 x 4 piece of wood and put underneat the centerstand in order to get the front a bit higher up from the floor. Remove the frontwheel, brake calipers and fender/ bridge.
The forks a held in place by a single screw that you access from the bottom of the fork, and you get to it when the wheel axel is removed. Then it is a matter of pulling the forktube down. Remember to drain the oil first.

When you mount it again, dont put the top sleeve on until the forktube is back on.
Also, grease the fork well, and make a funnel of thin plastic (as used in shirtcollars when you buy a new shirt) to protect the seal when you mount it on the inner-fork.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

I feel a little stupid. The next time I went to this site, the "view similar threads" was visible at the bottom of the page. And lo and behold, good instructions were there! I should have checked a little more :dunno: (Thank you, tcsheen)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts