BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the rear shock for my bike with an Ohlin. What do you recommend for front fork springs that would compliment the rear Ohlin please? I do primarily sport touring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ended up putting Progressive springs in my front forks. The difference is distinctly noticeable. The bike feels more secure and stable. This promotes riding confidence.

·
Registered
764 Posts
lpasztor said:
I am replacing the rear shock for my bike with an Ohlin. What do you recommend for front fork springs that would compliment the rear Ohlin please? I do primarily sport touring.
Progressives springs also helped some for my previous K75. So did a bit heavier shock oil.

But for a real improvemnet, add Race Tech cartridge emulators. They replace the stock damper (just a disk moving up and down in fork oil) with real shock valves that provide different action on compression and rebound.

The emulators are adjustible, but not from outside. I had them installed by a dirt bike shop friendly to road riders - they did a pretty good job setting compression and rebound for that bike and this rider.

Don't remember the cost - might have been close to $100 for the parts and less than 2 hrs shop time. For something in the neighborhood of $300 total, the change was amazing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dear Mr. Clarkson,

Thank you for the insightful advice. Do you remember whcih particular emulator works for the K-bikes?

Cordially,

Laszlo

·
Registered
764 Posts
lpasztor said:
Dear Mr. Clarkson,

Thank you for the insightful advice. Do you remember whcih particular emulator works for the K-bikes?

Cordially,

Laszlo
The Race Tech site is here:
http://www.race-tech.com/
and the page for the K100RS is here:
http://www.racetech.com/evalving/english/Srchpr.asp?bikeid=19&manufacture=BMW&model=K100+RS&year=91%2D93&TABLEINFO=street&langname=english

But the thing to do is to call them at 951.279.6655 and tell them what you have and they'll tell you what you need. On their site they suggest you go to a Race Tech center for install - would have looked to see if there's one near you, but there's nada in your Public Profile.

Didn't realize, but they have everything - valves, springs and shock oil.
Race Tech has a good rep - both for quality mfg and design as well as tech support.

Best of luck - I never regretted my Race Tech mods.

Allen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts