BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Son and I just got back from few days ride. During ride I asked him to keep an eye on my bike to see if it was straight up. Left bag has 10lb more weight in it than right bag.

My riding style is the main culprit it seems, coupled with engineered slope and the extra weight in the left bag. All three working together have made a prounounced cupping wear issue especially in rear tire.

My habit is to go through the gears, screw the Throttlemeister down, then sit up straight put my left hand either on my hip or thy and relax. Leaving a couple fingers on the right bar end. I do it out of habit on long rides to keep the leaning on the hands to a minimum, and its easier on my lower back.

Son says when I get wound out to speed and assume the relaxed ride position the bike is obviously leaning left. I didn't notice it alone, but he says its a definite lean.

I was wondering why I get so much better mileage than I hear others getting. Seems its cause I'm using more of the tire abeit wrongly vis-a-vie wear pattern.

Anyway that's why I get the freaky stuff goin on on the back Z6. They have 7K now and I've got at least another 3K left...

ride safe

·
Registered
250 Posts
Popeye,don't know if you have ran Z6's before but me an a couple friends thought we had plenty tread left and before you know it threads are showing.So keep a close eye on them.I check pressure often an only get 7 to 7.5K miles out of them.I do like the Z6's though.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
How to inspect Z-6's

I've run seven or so pairs of Z-6's on my GT over the last 21 months and have never been surprised by "sudden" wear at the center. You just have to keep an eye on the center-most wear bars, especially if you've squared the tire from too much straightline riding.

I typically get around 5,000 miles on a rear, the front, a little more (like 7,000 miles)

Photo journal for inspecting Z-6's is here.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tire site

Hey Richard,
That is a pretty cool site you put together. I like the attention you have put towards showing people how to evaluate their tires. Good detail, I also like your other parts of the site. 40,000 plus miles in less than 2 years, good job. Again thanks for educating us.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Richard,

Excellent site. I was caught by surprise and wore the center of the rear tire down to the cords. In the morning the tire looked fine; in the eventing (800 miles later)... Now that I know what to look for, this shouldn't happen again.

Thanks.

Ken

·
Registered
330 Posts
Excellent ..........

Mr. Hall, Excellent site on the Z6 tread wear. I just purchased/installed some and this will be helpful. I soon will be posting pics of my junk Battlax's (original equipment tire) on the "tires" forum. I too had unusual tread wear, especially front. I think that the added wear on one side (left) was that I take left hand corners better/faster than rights. Anybody agree to my conclusion(s). ??

·
Registered
218 Posts
Idea for tire wear....

You could take the tire off and mount it backwards and get another 9K out of it. :p

Just kidding!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Your freaky tire wear is probably the result of wheel offset built into the bike by BMW which causes the bike to pull to the right. Unconsciously the rider countersteers to the right (by pushing unconsciously forward on the left handle bar) to compentsate for the wheel mis-alingment. Riding like that will chew a front wheel up quickly. How quickly depends on how much counter steering your having to impart into the bars.
Are you aware of this?

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
popeyebedford, I couldn't quite figure your left/right bag thing. I've just finished re designing the cover latches on mine so they work, won't break away from the ABS shell and fly open on the road, So I've been handling them a bit.

My left bag with the muffler cutaway profile is lighter and has less space than the right side, although the stock muffler is very heavy. It's usually my right side bag that would be heavier, unless your muffler and bags are swapped over?

If you hang a short plumbline from the top centre of your screen, you'll be able to see which way the bike is leaning yourself. When I carry pillion I notice that they don't always sit centre on. My wife always rides right side heavy as that's the shoulder she wants to look over. On US roads it would be the left side.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
651 Posts
RedHawK12GT said:
I think that the added wear on one side (left) was that I take left hand corners better/faster than rights. Anybody agree to my conclusion(s). ??
I don't know about the conclusions, but I also take lefts better than rights. :D :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
If your bike PTTR like mine does, It will rail a turn to the right with very little input on the bars but will offer more resistance when turning left and feels very heavy.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Tire wear

I was getting around 4500 - 5000 max on the Z6 and moved to Avons . My last tire on rear I ran it for 7700 miles that is the most I have gotten out of any rear tire.
Z6 are bad for wet/ winter riding and I do both . I don't care for the treadless center . It is a great tire and I loved it when it was always new. For now I plan to stick with the Avons .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts