BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever had their frame break about an inch in from where the kickstand mounts? I parked my R on the street today, and 5 minutes later the store clerk got my attention and told me my bike was on its side. I went out, picked it up and... the WHOLE kickstand assembly and shift lever portion of the frame was busted off. There are no marks of anybody hitting it... I can't figure it out. It's a pretty thing section of frame so maybe it's a weak point?

I bought the bike with 4900 miles on consignment and it was fine until just now at 7000 miles, but I don't know if it had been overly stressed prior to my ownership. In any case I'm frickin' pissed and the store clerk nor anybody else saw someone hit the bike (and again, no marks), so I can only chalk it up to a parts failure and claim warranty service.

Anybody have any insight? I'll post some photos soon. Anyone else have a similar failure?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wow!

That's unbelieveable! sorry to hear but hopefully you've got a good dealer to get it covered under warranty-

·
"Alpha Squirrel" and nutcracker.
2,029 Posts
Well something STINKS about this "break". I'm wondering what BMW's attitude/action will be and look forward to your follow-up posts. There must be prior service records on your bike....see if they're available and if there's any " impact repair history" or damage noted. Good luck ...2t

·
Registered
216 Posts
Man...

That's freaky..

Can you post a picture? does the alloy look dull across any point of the fracture? if so, something, may have happened a while ago, if it's clean all the way across and a fresh snap, that's pretty bizarre..

Bry

·
Registered
531 Posts
just speculation here but it's possible the initial damage was caused by the previous owner dropping the bike or hitting something but the frame damage didn't manifest itself until now. or the metal could have been fatigued from the factory it's tuff to tell. when i was shopping for my "S" the dealer had a 05 on the floor that had a slightly almost unnoticable bent frame. someone had knocked the bike over in the parking lot by backing into it, the dealer replaced the frame as a precaution. perhaps something similar happened with your bike. hopefully since it's still under warrenty BMW will fix it for free. good luck.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
break

The on ly similiar incident in my long and noteworthy career on bikes is when some dh sits on the bike when it was on the side stand (me), that was long ago.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here's some pics. I'm shipping the bike down to the dealer tomorrow. Ugh. I feel ill every time I look at it. It's going to be astronomical to fix (complete new frame at $2150 + labor!). All I know is that it was nothing I did, apart from using the sidestand when parking it... Again, there are NO marks indicating someone hit it, and even if some did it seems like it would take some serious effort to snap that off. Though that part of the frame does look pretty thin. Whatever, we'll see how it shakes out. This has been the cursed year for 2-wheel machines. My brand new Aprilia SR50 scooter stopped starting at 150 miles, then the dealer got it running and promptly seized it on the lift... Just got it back after 2 months in the shop. Now this. All within the last 2 months. My trusty R1100S keeps chugging along though and is just about to turn 60,000 trouble free miles. Oh well, wish me luck with warranty service.

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
No kidding. I've sat on my bike with the sidestand down. If my bike EVER broke from me sitting on it with the sidestand down, I'd NEVER buy that brand again. NEVER!

Edit- Did I mention NEVER?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Good luck, man! That looks like a horrible thing to fix..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any updates?

I had a similar thing happen to my K1200GT with the exception there was evidence of a hit and run in the parking lot. Altogether it ended up being $10K worth of damage. With the exception of the deductable my insurance company paid the bill. Lucky for me all the parts necessary for repair (including a new frame) were in the USA and have arrived at the local dealer. I'm waiting for the new frame to have the VIN stamped/etched into it and then the reassembly can begin.

·
Registered
513 Posts
JCW said:
No kidding. I've sat on my bike with the sidestand down. If my bike EVER broke from me sitting on it with the sidestand down, I'd NEVER buy that brand again. NEVER!

Subscribe. One thing is a bent sidestand - and that I can accept - but a bent/broken FRAME?

CYA, Ed

·
Just saying hey
22 Posts
johnnydanger said:
I parked my R on the street today, and 5 minutes later the store clerk got my attention and told me my bike was on its side.
How about this scenario? Some 250 lb. mongrel wearing a bandanna and a bad attitude is walking by your bike and sees the roundel. He stops, curls a lip, glances around to make sure no one's watching, and kicks your bike over.

It's noteworthy that your photos show no progressive "steps" that are characteristic of a metal fatigue break. Your frame broke when it was subjected to a single, massive structural overload.

·
Registered
250 Posts
JCW said:

I do that too and I am glad I know better now. Jeez that really sucks. I can't believe such a thin piece of metal is responsible for bearing the entire weight of the bike. Let us know how it turns out for sure.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Navy_F4 said:
How about this scenario? Some 250 lb. mongrel wearing a bandanna and a bad attitude is walking by your bike and sees the roundel. He stops, curls a lip, glances around to make sure no one's watching, and kicks your bike over.

It's noteworthy that your photos show no progressive "steps" that are characteristic of a metal fatigue break. Your frame broke when it was subjected to a single, massive structural overload.
I agree.

This is problably an insurance claim rather than a warranty issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
frame broke

That exact thing happened to my k1200r sport today. No unusual treatment of this bike. I ride it every day and today when I parked it in front of the house over it went.
The aluminum part of the frame that the kick stand bolts to snapped right off. Huh.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I checked mine and it looks OK and seems reasonably stout but obviously they can let go. I don't see any easy way to reinforce the area.

A good welder should be able to fix it up and a couple hundred bucks for a center stand could be a good idea rather than parting out a nice bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mr T

I had the same thing happen to me as I walked into my garage this morning and found my bike laying on its side. For the folks that had this happen to them, what is the resolution and/or BMWs stance on the issue?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts