BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
BMW s are not known for strong side stands! a good aftermarket stand for the airheads was very popular. The old K bike stands gradually bend and allow the bike to lean too far. Modern bikes seem to come with a warning to not sit on the bike while it is on the stand, I found that even in the owners book of my 2005 KTM adv centerstand. Sad to say, but if you want a good side stand, the ones on most Harleys is better than average!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody ever had their frame break about an inch in from where the kickstand mounts?
Hello there, unfortunately today my 2008 K1200R' frame cracked about an inch from the kickstand mounts, exactly as you describe in your topic.

I left the bike to the local BMW dealer at Athens, Greece and i am waiting for an official answer from BMW Mottorad.

I have not found a recall for the K1200R frame and my VIN is clear, no recalls pending.

I will upload pictures of the frame crack and i'll keep you updated guys, just in case...

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello there, unfortunately today my 2008 K1200R' frame cracked about an inch from the kickstand mounts, exactly as you describe in your topic.

I left the bike to the local BMW dealer at Athens, Greece and i am waiting for an official answer from BMW Mottorad.

I have not found a recall for the K1200R frame and my VIN is clear, no recalls pending.

I will upload pictures of the frame crack and i'll keep you updated guys, just in case...

Cheers
Hi..I am new on this site... Nor I have my k1200r sport yet... I looked at your pictures of the broken part of the frame,and looked at frames online with high resolution pictures... seems like in that part of the frame they made it thinner and lighter all around that area, both sides there is a little pool what could be "filled" up with 2 pieces of metal and either held by a washer from front and from behind or glued on with "liquid metal" kind of adhesive. Nobody would see it but it would reinforce the area.... Just a thought form a regular have no clue at all bike enthusiast... :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anybody know what the frame is made out of ??I want to get mine welded as my kickstand frame mount cracked as well ...

Hi..I am new on this site... Nor I have my k1200r sport yet... I looked at your pictures of the broken part of the frame,and looked at frames online with high resolution pictures... seems like in that part of the frame they made it thinner and lighter all around that area, both sides there is a little pool what could be "filled" up with 2 pieces of metal and either held by a washer from front and from behind or glued on with "liquid metal" kind of adhesive. Nobody would see it but it would reinforce the area.... Just a thought form a regular have no clue at all bike enthusiast... :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
As I mentioned in your other post, the frame is aluminum. A good welder -might- be able to fix this. I'm no welding expert but I do know that successful welding of cast aluminum is highly dependent on the alloy used and the casting process used.

How do these breaks even happen in the first place?? It seems clear that BMW K bike frames are lighter than they should be at the kickstand mount. With that in mind, it only makes sense to be a little gentler on the kickstand. Not sitting on the bike while also leaning on the kickstand is probably a good idea. Have you ever seen someone lean the bike on the kickstand and spin it 360 degrees?? That's a pro move that looks cool but probably ill advised with this bike. BTW, shops do this kind of stuff all the time trying to maneuver bikes in tight quarters. Might be worth mentioning to your mechanic to please avoid doing this.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am completely blown away by this I’ve had a few scenarios with BMW motorcycle some stuff I just can’t believe they let slide this is reaching maybe some guys like to spin their bikes around on the kickstand putting a lot of weight on it do that a few times if the frame is at all weak in that area it would for sure do it in. May be a center stand for mine is inevitable right now I turned the bike around so if It did fall over it doesn’t take out my other bikes like Domino’s. I just got a reminder that was an old thread sorry didn’t know

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Glad it’s fixable but that bike didn’t look like it was taken care of.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts