Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sonofabitch.gif

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
797 Posts
My only suggestion is that I use 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean with not brake spray or such. Easier on the rubber parts. I also make sure things are completely dry before pushing pucks back in. I use stock pads. Some of the aftermarket pads have different thickness backing plates. Also I don't let them go as worn as possible. The pads do help with keeping heat from the pucks. On the other hand its not a track bike for me.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My only suggestion is that I use 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean with not brake spray or such. Easier on the rubber parts. I also make sure things are completely dry before pushing pucks back in. I use stock pads. Some of the aftermarket pads have different thickness backing plates. Also I don't let them go as worn as possible. The pads do help with keeping heat from the pucks. On the other hand its not a track bike for me.
I would go OEM if the price were normal.

Less brake dust would be nice especially on the front because cleaning the front wheel is terrible. I'm also worried about warping or scuffing the rotor by going with a too aggressive pad, as it's relatively expensive to replace. The servo-assisted brakes cancel the need for strong grabbiness.

·
Registered
168 Posts
‘the benefit of the very long wheelbase, anti-dive front end, servo brakes and decent ABS.’

I don’t think that the K1300s has servo brakes

·
Registered
168 Posts
‘Yup. Servo (whizzy) brakes last model year ‘06.’
K13S introduced in 2009. K12R had the servo brakes in 2006

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yep, those are the ones. As I say the HH are great but the EPFA provide even more bite and fade resistance. Some people might find them slightly grabby for town work and, given that our brake system is servo-assisted, most people will find HH sufficient (and a step up from OE) so won't justify the extra cost of EPFA (they wear out quicker too).

Think I read somewhere that the K1300S holds the record for shortest stopping distance on a bike and beat some cars - the benefit of the very long wheelbase, anti-dive front end, servo brakes and decent ABS.
Here's that report of the K1300S beating everything else and a car in a braking test BMW K1300S wins ABS test, beats car

(As corrected elsewhere, the K1300S doesn't have servo-assisted brakes as I thought it did)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Interesting. I really like the whizzy brakes... up until they fail I guess. Speaking of, what do I do when that happens?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
There’s a “How-To” video on the You Toobz flushing and bleeding what are clearly servo-assisted brakes on an ‘04 K1200LT. Maybe that’s what got mixed-up in this discussion. Some older heavy bikes had them and a reasonable assumption is that our bikes did too. But they don’t. Thankfully.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sounds like a good idea and yes, air-lining completely dry is important. I've got a few gallons of that. I've been using brake cleaner on calipers for years, as has my brother (who runs a workshop and has done literally 1000s of calipers this way over 30 years) and had no issues but you never know and anything that's easier on rubber seals is a good idea

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I went from BMW oem to EBC HH and never looked back (y)
Just ordered. $70 shipped for a front set. Maybe Carbone Lorraine is better, but $30 more and longer shipping isn’t worth it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just ordered. $70 shipped for a front set. Maybe Carbone Lorraine is better, but $30 more and longer shipping isn’t worth it.
Good Call (y) You will like them and remember to bed them in

I used Carbone Lorraine on my 2006 K1200S and didn't care for them. When I got my 2008 I went straight to the EBC HH

21 - 38 of 38 Posts