BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just replaced my tires and noticed that there are marks on the inside of the front fork from the brake rotors rubbing. Anyone heard of this before?
The front wheel bearings feel fine and the axle felt as if it was torqued on when I took it off. There are 16k mi. on the bike.
Love it!
Cheers
Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
So, new tires? Who installed the wheels back on the bike? You or shop? BMW dealer of "other" mechanic?

Never heard of a rotor flexing enough to actually scrape metal off the fork. Maybe someone put the assembly back together with the spacers in the wrong place?

I'd really like to hear how this comes out. Please post when you find out!

P.S> New fork $1400

https://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51590&rnd=07242017

·
Registered
363 Posts
The spacer on the left side of the fork isn't supposed to be removed. Causes a spacing issue and is adjusted at the factory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies, but there are no spacers used. The marks on the fork are the same on both sides. The bike has always been serviced at the dealership it was purchased at. I acquired the bike about three months ago with 13k miles on it.
I guess I'll give the stealership a call and see if they have seen this before.
Cheers
Brian

·
Registered
363 Posts
Actually, they are not spacers. They are wheel carriers and if look at the diagram, #6 is installed and adjusted at the factory for the ABS sensor ring. If you remove that one, it can cause a problem with the ABS sensor and send an ABS error. The one on the right side is removed when you take off the wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
A friend of mine positioning issues exchanging wheels from one KGT to another. I don't remember whether they were a K1200GT and a K1300GT or two of the same type. Basically the rotor and ABS sensor ring did not align properly when he went to install the donor wheel, and he had to do something to fix it. I wish I knew more, but that's all I know. I don't even know whether it was front, back, or both. I will ask about it, and will post more details if I learn something new. In the meantime, don't assume that all K1200GT and K1300GT wheels can be exchanged without issues. I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm 100% positive this is the original rim. Unless the dealer did something when the previous owner had tires replaced. He had all the work done at the dealer, I have all the work records.
I don't know how long the marks have been there, I've only had the bike two and a half months.
Cheers
Brian

·
Registered
677 Posts
So, great. Someone before you installed it improperly. Not rotor flex.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't see how it could be assembled wrong and still work. And the fact that the marks are the same on both sides of the fork, makes me think that the wheel is centered. I guess I could pull the front tire and pull the bearings and give them a clean and good inspection. I'm gonna pull the fender and see what it takes to move the tire side to side within the fork.
Cheers
Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update, I pulled the front tire to black out the worm spots to see if it is still rubbing. I found that the marks are inline with the rotor to wheel bolts. I'm assuming the previous owner had bolt back out and rub the fork. None of the bolts have any marks on them. Since the marks are the same on both sides of the fork, I'm wondering if the rotor bolts thread into a sleeve that goes to the other side.
No I have to start another thread about it being dead when the key is turned. No dash, no sound at all.
Anyway thanks
Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts