BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little suprised this hasn't popped up here yet, but I was just wondering if anyone's had to deal with this problem with the K12R? Mine started making noise a little after 600+ miles and it got progressively worse. Comes on at the tail end of braking just before coming to a full stop. Brought it in recently to the local BMW service centre and after going through the troubleshooting procedures and trying various 'fixes' which didn't work, they eventually fitted on the new mounts with rubber washers as recommended on the service memo that I've attached for reference (the whole process took the long route as the K12R is not listed on this service memo). Finally took my bike home yesterday and everything seemed fine till I got caught in really bad stop & go traffic on the way home, and the problem reared its ugly head again. Definitely not as bad as before but noticeable/audible short squawk. Heat (friction or otherwise) may be a factor as the problem seems to lessen or even disappear with clear roads and not so heavy use of the brakes - it was fine coming in to work this morning with clear roads and cool weather. Any thoughts? Wonder what it's going to take to fix this permanently...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
My R started doing this, maybe 4 or 5 times, about a week ago at 5,500 miles. So far it hasn't worsened and I plan on checking with the BMW tech next time in. I've heard of this before, maybe on the S forum. I'll post anything I learn about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I had the same squeal on the tail end of braking. I assumed I had glazed my pads. Not being a tech head I ignored it, figuring I would wear through it eventually. It went away after 500-600 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, that's the same one that I attached here. The bike was in the shop longer than I expected because the K1200R is not on the list of bikes covered by that service bulletin and the service people had to stick with procedure and cover all the other angles before getting this one in under the warranty fix... Oh well, guess I'll just keep riding and see what happens next. Vaguely remember reading something somewhere about a whole brake replacement (pads and discs) being in the works. A nagging problem, but otherwise the bike's a hoot and a half to ride!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I do. I'm tempted to change the pads at some point to see if they make any difference. I'm convinced it's a heat issue as it was fine on my way home yesterday evening under normal traffic/road conditions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
I went to a new owners forum shortly after getting my bike. I'd read the boards before buying and my sales person said right before my test ride that BMW brakes "just squeak". At the forum, I asked the mech about it and he did a less than compelling performance as though he'd never heard this complaint before (while the 7 other guys behind me were all nodding their heads when I popped the question). He said if it's real bad, they'd replace the pads and run it through a number of hoops to fix it.

I've changed the way I ride a bit to lessen the noise. Obviously, it's not a fix, but I think the sales person was right (and honest). They just squeak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
For whatever it's worth ... I heard a rumour that one of the few alterations to the PowerCup bikes involves swapping the stock brake pads for LT pads which are, apparently, softer. Perhaps justified for an entirely different reason but, then again, it just wouldn't do to have a mobile ad campaign squealing like a pod of puckered piglets.

Mine (IABS) squeak a bit when cold then become unobtrusive. Must admit that the higher temp ranges haven't been tested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
No ABS and brakes have squealed like a pack of stuck pigs since new. Shop did the "fix" regarding the service bulletin for the "S". Took care of about 90 percent of the problem. Perhaps different pads will take care of the other 10%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Beyond the squeal, has anyone else noticed an odor associated with applying the brakes? I noticed it when I got the bike, but assumed it was normal and would subside after a few miles. Just turned 1,700 miles and it still smells when I pull up to a light. It smells sort of like matches, but not really.

It doesn't smell if I roll up to stop light on a hill and let gravity stop me, so I assume it's the brakes. It also doesn't seem to correlate to just heavy braking. I wouldn't call myself an aggressive rider, so it's not like I'm locking it up or anything.

Any thoughts? Neither of my previous bikes had such an issue.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top