BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took the RS apart, now I have to put it back together... you can allready guess...yes i have screws left over at the end.

My question here is this: I just put the front cowl back but I can not figure out how to get it to "click" back along the windshield. on both sides there is a piece the needs to "click" just right. but it is sticking out still... i do not want to damage or break anything... How do I make it fit correctly? by pushing it in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Make sure the windshield is in the "up" position first. Line the tabs up that need to go into the slots, make a fist and hit them firmly with the bottom of your hand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DangerMoney said:
Make sure the windshield is in the "up" position first. Line the tabs up that need to go into the slots, make a fist and hit them firmly with the bottom of your hand.

Thanks I was thinking about that but didn't want to crack the tabs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
belga1976 said:
I just took the RS apart, now I have to put it back together... you can allready guess...yes i have screws left over at the end.

My question here is this: I just put the front cowl back but I can not figure out how to get it to "click" back along the windshield. on both sides there is a piece the needs to "click" just right. but it is sticking out still... i do not want to damage or break anything... How do I make it fit correctly? by pushing it in?
File the bumps off the tabs, so they are easier to "snap" into their slots. Don't worry, the cowl won't fly off in the wind without the bumps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
On a similar item, how does one remove the plastic instrument cover? I have removed both screws on both sides (along the windsheild) but the piece doesn't seem to want to "let go". Is there another screw somewhere, or some tabs or clips?
All other plastic is already removed, except for the front fender.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Cowl......

Mac said:
File the bumps off the tabs, so they are easier to "snap" into their slots. Don't worry, the cowl won't fly off in the wind without the bumps.
If you are talking about the little pins that secure arms to windsheild, I read somewhere a trick of using a same size small socket (from socket, ratchet set) and using a hand held screwdriver type socket holder, gently push the plugs through. Or is that to remove them??. Oh well. Plus, this is why my friends call me Mr. Anal, when I remove things off my bike, starting with fastener screws, I take a small peice of masking tape marking a number on each one. This includes the part also as being one of the numbers. Then of course, assemble back in a reverse order. This also helps if you leave the project for a period of time, like, to go get a beer, go take a s---, or get a call from your girlfriend that she is extremely horny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
I not only removed the pins, but also 2 small, metal right angle arms at the bootom of the windsheild mechanism.

The pins are easy to get out. I used the nut driver with the hex bit (same size as body panel screws) and just gave a little push. Then you can grab the pin from the other side with your fingers and pull it out, with its keeper.

I label all my parts, too. Even have hand drawn diagrams.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Mac said:
File the bumps off the tabs, so they are easier to "snap" into their slots. Don't worry, the cowl won't fly off in the wind without the bumps.
1200GTosprey said:
If you are talking about the little pins that secure arms to windsheild, I read...
No, I was talking about the cowl, before the thread was hi-jacked into something about the instrument cluster and windshield.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top