BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
My 05KS will be going to the shop here shortly but I wanted to throw this one out to the crowd for ideas: While going over a rough patch of road, there is a metal on plastic rattling coming from the front end. I have checked everything to make sure it's tight and can't seem to find anything that is loose. Has anyone else experienced this or have ideas?
Rob

·
Registered
8 Posts
I noticed a similar problem. Eventually found that the black plastic "things" on the side of the fairing, to which the BMW logo's are fitted, were the cause. They way they are located/fitted is poorly designed in my opinion. The "things" can be tightened but will probably require that you remove the fairings first.

·
Registered
120 Posts
mystery rattle

I've been hearing the same rattle from the front for some time now too, especially when I'm not wearing earplugs or a helmet on a driveway etc. The rattly badges could be it - I'll try taping 'em down and going for a spin. But forget tightening them from the back - no user serviceable parts in there either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem, and traced it down to my spare house key I have on the bike key ring. If you have any spare keys on the bike key ring, maby check there.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Other keys on the keyring? No way - I wouldn't dare scratch up the emblem. The bike is at Lonestar in Austin - I'll post what they find!

Rob

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unduplicable noise

All,
Dealership somehow was unable to duplicate the noise, which I heard immediately after leaving the dealer. I'm going to wire tie up my center stand, and put a piece of padding in the side stand stop to see if that may be it but I swear it's coming from the front end.

Also - the dealer said my center stand is bent???! It looks exactly the way it was when I got it, slightly swept back design. Can anyone take pictures of theirs so I can see if the two main support bars are slightly swept back?

Thanks -
Rob

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Noise killed

All,
The noise WAS the front badges. I pulled the fairings off and it's a 9 mm bolt that you tighten to remove slack from the badges. I can NOT believe that the dealer screwed me on this, not a huge deal, but if they can't be trusted to duplicate and fix such a minor deal. Unreal...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Rob,

As the saying goes, if you want it done properly,...................................

or

If your not where the action is happening, its not happening.. :rotf:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts