BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow GT heads. I hit a pothole a few days ago on the 405 going about 75. It was a slot shaped hole and my wheel went right into it. It was pretty dramatic and my hands hurt afterward. But the bike seemed OK so I kept going. Now, I thought I looked things over when I got to where I was going. But it's a bit foggy. It was early. It maybe it's old age. But I obviously didn't see anything. So yesterday, my wife and I ride out to the Rock Store and three guys come up to check out my bike. Within seconds one of them says, "Wow, you've got a bent rim!" "I do?!" I said. Sure enough, I did. Pics to follow. :(

A call to the BMW dealer spelled almost $900 for a nice new wheel - mounted and all. The guys admiring my newly customized rim mentioned places who fix them. I've found a few online. They are: MC Wheel, The Wheel Warehouse, Metro Wheels, The Frame Man and Frame Straight Systems. If anyone has any suggestions of other places or has any comments on these, let me know. I'd appreciate it.

Also, I've read the manual on removing the front wheel. It's not real descriptive on the actual tools you need. The torx screws for the brakes and the axle release make sense. But what kind of tool do you need to remove the quick release axle? It looks like I need an allen wrench the size of my thumb. And, are there torque wrenches available with such attachments (and the torx) for putting this stuff back on at the right tension?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Dude, how is it you didn't notice it? :wtf: :confused:

Any how, if it were me......there is no doubt in my mind .......no way would I ride it and I'd be getting a NEW rim. No way I'd get it fixed either and ever feel confident. Way too big of a safety concern in my mind.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Jeff, I believe that the quick release is a 22mm, however, if you don't want to spend 30 bucks for a 22mm to fit it, most spark plug sockets mounted backwards will fit perfectly. :D Here is a link to the spark plug socket.http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=104879&postcount=1 Also a lug-nut from a truck (as in 18 wheel type) will also fit and you can buy those at any auto store for under 5 bucks. I took a truck lug-nut, screwed a piece of all-thread into it and then screwed a nut on the other end, welded both nuts to the all-thread and walla, a custom wheel removal tool. If you don't want to do any welding, most truck lug-nuts are plenty long to go into the axle recess and still give to enough to put a wrench on.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Jeff,
Keep an eye on ebay. I have seen several there and you can expect to pay 175-250 for a rim in great shape. Your rim does not look to bad, I would feel okay with having it repaired if done by a pro. Its just metal.... But it will cost you almost as much as you could buy one on ebay. You also might check with your local dealerships. My shop had a front and rear takeoff with tires that had less than 1K on them and I paid 550 for the set.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Some spark plug sockets work if you put them in backwards. You can also find pipe couplers with a 7/8" outside diameter that slip right into the 22 mm hole and are long enough to put a wrench or socket on. I may even still have a couple of those hanging out in the garage.

sanjaun2 said:
JMy shop had a front and rear takeoff with tires that had less than 1K on them and I paid 550 for the set.
Man, I'd love to find a deal like that. I have so many half-used tires where it would be so much easier to just swap rims around.

Of course, a set of those black rims off the K12R would also look great on my graphite GT. :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had the same experience with my front wheel. I was going to order a new wheel but after a long conversation about safety the dealer suggested I try The Frame man. He fixed it perfectly with the exception of the paint. .02

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you're the kind of guy who likes to have the right tool rather than making one from old pieces lying around in your garage, there are at least two sources for the 22mm hex socket. Motion Pro: Hex Axle Wrench (Part #08-0397). Snap-on: Socket, Motorcycle, 1/2 " drive, 22 mm external hex (Stock # HXD22). They're both a little pricey.....will run $25 to $30.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
i bought a universal(not completely) external hex socket. it is a pretty handy tool. it has 18mm, 19mm, 21mm, and 22mm, i think. i know it has the 22mm. it works great and is about the same price. i started changing my own tires and others have used my equipment. the socket is good for a few other bikes also, just in case you have more than one in the stable. it cost around 20 bucks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I sent a bent rim to frame straight. They have had it for 6 weeks. Just got an email saying it's ready and will be shipped out. Hope it's good. They charged me 220.
Anyone know where I can find touch up paint for the rim?

·
2 heads are better than 1
284 Posts
mixdude said:
Greetings fellow GT heads. I hit a pothole a few days ago on the 405 going about 75. It was a slot shaped hole and my wheel went right into it. It was pretty dramatic and my hands hurt afterward. But the bike seemed OK so I kept going. Now, I thought I looked things over when I got to where I was going. But it's a bit foggy. It was early. It maybe it's old age. But I obviously didn't see anything. So yesterday, my wife and I ride out to the Rock Store and three guys come up to check out my bike. Within seconds one of them says, "Wow, you've got a bent rim!" "I do?!" I said. Sure enough, I did. Pics to follow. :(

A call to the BMW dealer spelled almost $900 for a nice new wheel - mounted and all. The guys admiring my newly customized rim mentioned places who fix them. I've found a few online. They are: MC Wheel, The Wheel Warehouse, Metro Wheels, The Frame Man and Frame Straight Systems. If anyone has any suggestions of other places or has any comments on these, let me know. I'd appreciate it.

Also, I've read the manual on removing the front wheel. It's not real descriptive on the actual tools you need. The torx screws for the brakes and the axle release make sense. But what kind of tool do you need to remove the quick release axle? It looks like I need an allen wrench the size of my thumb. And, are there torque wrenches available with such attachments (and the torx) for putting this stuff back on at the right tension?

Thanks in advance

The cheap way to get the axle out is to get a Craftsman 13/16 spark plug socket, about $5 at Sears. The "nut" end of it (opposite end from where the spark plug would go) is a perfect fit for the axle. Remove the rubber plug from inside the socket well, insert a 3 inch 3/8 drive extension inside the socket well, attach your socket to the extension, and, well, you should be able to figure it out from there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts