BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
K1300GT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 K1300GT & was wondering if a K1200GT or a K1200S wheel would work my K1300GT.

·
Registered
166 Posts
get onto RealOEM and check out the part numbers for the wheels

·
IBR# 366
3,185 Posts
In theory, yes, all the front wheels are interchangeable.

Note that sometime in '07 they changed the way the front brake discs mount to the wheels. I've had two '07 K12GTs and if I swapped the front wheels, the axle would fit fine but brake disks would drag because they were offset about 1.5mm from each other.

Looking up the parts in an online BMW parts fiche is a good idea, but note that the rim itself may be the same dimensions but with a different part number because of paint colors.

·
Premium Member
K1300GT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've looked at all the part numbers and it does no good on the wheels. The same wheels have different part numbers depending on the color. I've been using Max BMW or RealOEM for years. I do know the K1300GT, K1300R & the K1300S are interchangeable. I can't tell if any of the front K1200 wheels will work the front rotors on the K1200 are different than the K1300. I have extra rotors for the K1300 bikes.

·
Premium Member
K1300GT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In theory, yes, all the front wheels are interchangeable.

Note that sometime in '07 they changed the way the front brake discs mount to the wheels. I've had two '07 K12GTs and if I swapped the front wheels, the axle would fit fine but brake disks would drag because they were offset about 1.5mm from each other.

Looking up the parts in an online BMW parts fiche is a good idea, but note that the rim itself may be the same dimensions but with a different part number because of paint colors.
Hi Ken, I bought John Zeiler's K1300GT a few months ago. It will be a winter project for me to get it set up how I like it. I've already read about the offset. If the offset difference is like the early K1200LT's vs the later LT's I can fix that with spacers or machine the rotor pads down. What I can't fix is a different rotor bolt pattern.

I prefer to have at least three sets of rims for each bike I have for different riding styles long distance, mountain & track days. I have bought several rear rims in 5.5" & 6" width for different size tires.

·
IBR# 366
3,185 Posts
I looked at John Z's GT, as I figure it's been well taken care of. :)

Still, I've totaled and rebuilt my K13GT twice now, and it just keeps on running no matter what I throw at it. I think I'm keeping this one. :D

I believe the K12 and K13 rims are the same castings, just the rotor mounting bolts/bushings changed. When I measured mine, the K12 rotors were 0.120" (0.060" per side) closer together than the K13 rotors.

Note that some '07 K12GTs came with the newer mounting hardware, so they would be a direct wheel replacement with no changes.

Or you can probably use the K13 rotors and mounting bits to get the width spacing to match, though I haven't tested that myself.

I did discover that I can fit my older style K12GT wheel to my K13 by adding standard SST flat washers between the Duolever fork mounts and the calipers, effectively pushing each caliper in by 1.6mm (0.063"). To go back to the K13 rim, just remove the washers. Also note that the K16 front rims are an exact fit, but the K16 rear rim has a different offset so I needed to use a custom-made spacer and longer lug bolts to fit the K16 rear wheel to my K13GT.

On the 2017 IBR, I used the K12 front and K16 rear with the spacers on leg 1, then at the first checkpoint I removed all the spacers and switched back to the standard K13 wheels. No issues at all.

Reactions: saddleman

·
Registered
509 Posts
Of course it will work, I had a K1200s and purchased forged wheel for the bike when I purchased a K1300S I just moved the wheels to that bike, no sweat. Many items on the K1200 bike will fit the K1300 bike I move my exhaust also. The main differences between the bikes or the Motor and Switch gear and some new features.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts