BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought a 2000 K1200rs. I should of known better but i did anyway. It was dropped and the clutch lever and front foot peg was busted. Ok not that big of a deal. I get there and the battery is also deader than a door nail. So i do a quick look over and talk to him about why hes selling and its cause he just got a new Harley and no room. Well yeah garage was tight had to roll out harley to get out the K12 and the whole time its raining pretty good. So i quickly go over the bike and it dont look to bad some scratches where it was dropped and broken clutch and foot peg. Small crack in fairing and and a couple screws missing here and there. Well i get it home and get a clutch reservoir and lever off ebay go get new battery and put it on. Starts right up and im thinking great. Well after letting it run 15 minutes or so the temp crepping up and fans not kicking on blinkers not working on right side hazzard intermittently i start pulling of plastics to chase wires and i notice high beams not working only low. Im thinking maybe just part it out and take my loss???? What do you all think. I feel this is gonna be costly. Lesson learned?? Give me some feed back please

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So i bought a 2000 K1200rs. I should of known better but i did anyway. It was dropped and the clutch lever and front foot peg was busted. Ok not that big of a deal. I get there and the battery is also deader than a door nail. So i do a quick look over and talk to him about why hes selling and its cause he just got a new Harley and no room. Well yeah garage was tight had to roll out harley to get out the K12 and the whole time its raining pretty
good. So i quickly go over the bike and it dont look to bad some scratches where it was dropped and broken clutch and foot peg. Small crack in fairing and and a couple screws missing here and there. Well i get it home and get a clutch reservoir and lever off ebay go get new battery and put it on. Starts right up and im thinking great. Well after letting it run 15 minutes or so the temp crepping up and fans not kicking on blinkers not working on right side hazzard intermittently i start pulling of plastics to chase wires and i notice high beams not working only low. Im thinking maybe just part it out and take my loss???? What do you all think. I feel this is gonna be costly. Lesson learned?? Give me some feed back please
Also realized my charge light is on so now im looking at a charging issue too. FML lol

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Ouch charging issue! Bike has to be scissored up to remove the alternator!Might as well do the clutch Oring,main seal.....transmission seals,clutch slave,swingarm/paralever pivot bearings,driveshaft inspection etc....etc....at the same time.

Wiring issues are all solvable but it does take time.As a project that could be time consuming and all depending what one finds when digging further expensive?

First.....new battery? Make sure both ground wires are connected to the battery.There are TWO grounds on a K1200RS.

·
Registered
120 Posts
All of the small broken parts can be found on ebay for a reasonable cost. But you really need a service manual to make sure your battery, etc is installed properly. Clymer makes a good one. It too, can be purchase on line. Only then can you be sure you are making an informed decision as to the repair/part-out question.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not a lost cause

Hey Bill. How much did you pay for said bike ? Where are you located ?

Electrical issues can be a pain, but work on one thing at a time. DO check that both cables are connected to the negative terminal of the battery. I was gonna say "keep us posted" (pun intended), but DO give us updates. Many guys on this forum
migrated from i-bmw (Riderspace too quiet, by the way), and we're here to help. Spare parts lying around, too !!

I've read your post 3 times now, and it does not look like you need to pass judgement so quickly.

What's the mileage ? Any pics of areas of concern ? You can learn a lot about the care and maintenance (or lack of) of a bike just by looking at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Bill. How much did you pay for said bike ? Where are you located ?

Electrical issues can be a pain, but work on one thing at a time. DO check that both cables are connected to the negative terminal of the battery. I was gonna say "keep us posted" (pun intended), but DO give us updates. Many guys on this forum

migrated from i-bmw (Riderspace too quiet, by the way), and we're here to help. Spare parts lying around, too !!

I've read your post 3 times now, and it does not look like you need to pass judgement so quickly.

What's the mileage ? Any pics of areas of concern ? You can learn a lot about the care and maintenance (or lack of) of a bike just by looking at it.
I paid 1100 for the bike and it only has 24000 miles on it. I live in Sweet Home Oregon which is an hour south east of Salem Oregon. The bike was very dusty and wind screen was yellowed but besides the afore mentioned issues it didnt seem to off. It wasnt till i really dug in to it more that i found issuses that i wasnt aware of. I dont lie and have a bad habbit of taking people at their word and can usually tell when some ones trying to play me and i dont know if i just missed it or the fact that i really liked the bike clouded my judgement.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
290 Posts
Hey, for 1200 bucks you can take your time and turn this around. A bike that old will actually need much more than you think ($$$). All the rubber will be just about trash, things like brake lines, engine breather tube, the infamous 19x4mm oring. But, in the end you will have a cool bike. I have owned three of them. Much enjoyment.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey Bill,

What Beech said. You didn't pay much, but all the rubber is worn out. Speaking of which, that left hand grip looks suspiciously worn out for 24,000 miles.

Anyway, sort one thing out at a time; it is a great bike when all is well with it. Biggest expense may be the rear main seal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
you have a possible real money pit there,

1. if you are a capable wrench, you may get thru it,
2. if you have unlimited funds, and just love that bike.

3. you might ask around independent BMW shops, and
see if you can find an older tech. who used to work a lot on K bikes.
they can be hard to find.

without any of the above, spending another dime would take some real thought.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sweet looking bike, though. Would love to find a taxi project like that down here in the exact opposite corner of the country from you.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'd fix it and do the necessary updates.Could be a longish project if to keep that one cost effective but most parts are available in, at times, very genty used condition on fleabag.New parts and cheaper usually overseas but slows down repairs.

Yep I did buy a frustrating BMW from a mechanic a few years ago.I started looking/stripping and found out how much he lied to me.Karma will get him if it hasn't yet with the new to him BMW he had bought at the time.:devil:

Wasn't cost effective to repair so parted out and the rarer parts are all gone as I gave many a very in good deal.Got most,if not all,my money back and still have a few hundred USDs worth of parts left.But a R100GS with rare and N/A parts not a common and frequently parted out K1200RS.

Honda XR650L? Also bought from a mechanic and plenty of fuck ups from him.Frustrating?Not so much,he sure lied about a few things but the price was right! Literally took me years to fix all them fuck ups and of course update a few things to better than OEM!Took years as the "moto repair yearly budget allowance" had to go toward the K.K has been very good for a couple years/40K miles so Honda "frame off/motor rebuilt" + farkles all done as of winter 2018.K will be heading to 200K miles this summer so I'll see next winter if worth dumping money and time into it!

So many great riding roads down the OP's way one shouldn't deprive himself from riding a K down that way?:smileEh....I was down in Sisters again in Sept 2018,bad timing as it was their Folk Fest but managed a camping spot 10 miles out of town and next morning took off through some Lava fields on the Scenic Byway.Very narrow roads and oncoming tourists well across the center line coming out of the tight curves included!K handles them situations rather well......!:grin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts