BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a fuel cooler on these bikes? It seems like we need one as hot as that fuel gets.
I am about to start looking into putting one on and was hoping some one had done it and could tell me the parts I need. I am going to use a radiator type like the one used for the oil cooler.

Thanks

Bazra
aka; The Flash

·
Registered
110 Posts
Seems odd. My fuel economy and performance increases at higher ambient temperatures. I always assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the warmer fuel was nearer the vaporization point and is therefore dispersed more effectively by the injectors.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I thought about doing the same thing...

Take power steering fluid cooler (one with plenty of fins) and run fuel through it. I decided against it because a friend of mine once told me that gasoline is endothermic by nature - meaning it would absorb heat from ambient temperatures as opposed to radiate heat. So essentially you would be warming the fuel up. Although, I am not sure what the point at which the fuel will radiate heat and be cooled by ambient air.

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
bazra said:
JCW you seemed puzled? you do understand that the cooler the fuel the better the performance?
How hot does fuel sitting in a fuel tank get? It mainly sits over the transmission. Exhaust is vented forward and under the bike.

How cool can you get fuel through a radiator?

Will it get down to ambient temp? can it ever go BELOW ambient?

What's the benefit of that degree of temperature drop?

Oil and water get heated in the engine and reach 200+ degrees. I can see where a cooler would work there. Fuel may reach 100? on a hot day. Running through a cooler brings it down to 90-95 deg if you can get it to reach ambient.

If you had a refrigerated coil in the fuel tank... :D

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
bazra said:
JCW you seemed puzled? you do understand that the cooler the fuel the better the performance?
I've got to call :manure: on this, sorry. I know gasoline will increase in volume with temperature, so in theory cooling the fuel could make the engine run slightly richer, but you could get the same effect by adjusting the carbs/injectors. Otherwise the energy density for the gasoline doesn't change with temperature.

I found at least one article that seems to confirm this: a gnat's whisker of improvement for a lot of extra weight.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
grifscoots said:
....you would quit riding and keep beer there.

Whats a good aftermarket beer filter run?......knowing Im not going to run that foreign Budviser crap through it..... :D

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
Now that's a mod I could get behind!

Refrigerated, pressured beer keg. :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cbdane said:
Seems odd. My fuel economy and performance increases at higher ambient temperatures. I always assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the warmer fuel was nearer the vaporization point and is therefore dispersed more effectively by the injectors.

CB I found this site http://www.anycalculator.com/enginehorsepower.htm that will calculate air temp and horsepower loss as the air is higher in temp.

The Temp. rise and HP reduction is very apparant in Drag racing. most cars will run slower as the air gets hotter because of loss in air volume for the engine to use, even engines with super-chargers.

Bazra

I am having a cold beer.

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
Cooling the fuel will theoretically help performance as cooler fuel also cools the air when the two mix, leading to a denser air / fuel charge in the cylinder. However, in practice, only drag racers will go to this extent, as the expense and weight generally don't pay off for the improvement. Drag guys use ice cans and coil the fuel line through the ice/water mix to cool the fuel, a simple, inexpensive, but temporary way to achieve a bit more performance.

I'd rather have cold beer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
rhhall said:
more performance.

I'd rather have cold beer.
Me too :teeth I mean how far can you take these mods? I've ridden over 50 years and never felt the need to cool my fuel , save your money and have a cold one at the end of the day :teeth

·
Registered
12 Posts
BAK04GT said:
Whats a good aftermarket beer filter run?......knowing Im not going to run that foreign Budviser crap through it..... :D
there will actually be a step up in beer quality only IF they change the formula. It will still be "brewed" here by Americans. Maybe getting rid of the preservatives is in the queue, and also maybe not brewing it with rice or corn. It could end up being closer in quality to Budvar from the Czech Republic, which uses the original Budweisr formula the current "beer" is based on.

But, I did not mean to hijack the thread.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've found there ain't much cheeper than the iced fuel cooler. I believe they use them in NASCAR as well, or used to.

Some years ago, I took thermal electric modules from Ovonics (troy, MI) and tryed to adapt them for use in an air filter.

it worked ok. However, they heat better than cool, like, the heat/cooling ratio was 3-1, re, had to take 3 parts heat away to get 1 part cooling.

that is a tuff nut to crack!! especially under the NASCAR hood where temps get real high.

so yes, in the end, I agree, use the fuel cooler for ice...and beer after your done with your 1/4 mile run :D

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
Wildbeast said:
http://www.speedmaxperformance.com/
Check out the products page. The ice tube or the cool can is what you are looking for.
Give it a try let us all know your results.
Most of their products seem to be *air* coolers, not fuel coolers. Cooling the air should make much more of a difference than cooler fuel, since gasses contract a lot more with temperature, cooler air means denser air means more oxygen to burn the fuel with.

Still not worth the weight on a bike IMHO, but whatever -- I ride a GT. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts