BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been covered before but my fuel filler cap fills with water which conveniently dumps into the fuel tank when the filler cap is opened. I guess there is a drain hole somewhere thats blocked...any suggestions/remidies other than moving to a sunnier climate.

H.

·
Registered
160 Posts
yup.. easy fix most likely. The drain tube tends to get clogged down where it makes a bend where the connections are next to the fuel lines under the tank at the fuel pump. Just pull the small hose off (two of them.. one for drain, (clogged one) one to vent to cannister. Keep them in the right order. run a piece of small wire.. guitar strings work great, like a snake up into it. That should do it. (yes you do take the right side panel off)

NCS

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. The right side panel is off already due to a leaking fuel pipe connector. I'll dismantle the girlfriends guitar tonight, that will impress her!

cheers.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Er, if they're not metal, smile politely, and drop them in the rubbish, where they belong. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Clogged fuel filler water drain line

Might try a blast with a rubber tipped air nozzle firmly held against the drain hole before snaking the line. Could save a little time especially for those who hadn't already removed the plastic. If it blows the line off little is lost as it will now drain anyway and the plastic will need to come off to replace and snake it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. A new metal connector came in the post yesterday so will get fitted at the weekend.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Good news on the connector (I take it you mean "quick disconnect fitting"), but, er, only one? There are two sets of disconnects: "fuel feed" and "fuel return". Both are prone to the same failure - the ...ah... male bit snaps off. Not a good thing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep, that's what i mean. we call them differently over here. i ordered the replacement before receiving the helpful pointers from everyone so now i know it's a common problem, I'll change the other one too.

·
Registered
518 Posts
:)

"England and America are two countries divided by a common language." - - G. B. Shaw

I thought I had the disconnect part right, but wanted to be sure you knew there are two disconnects and not one. Both are subject to the same failure mode. The problem with the plastic version is the locking groove in the male probe reduces the overall thickness of the plastic probe to the point where side loading of appreciable force will snap the probe off. It is really a very, very poor design choice on BMW's part. It guess it proves that BMW engineers are human, too. Or at least can be over-ruled by bean counters. :teeth

1 - 12 of 12 Posts