BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have cross reference numbers for the Mahle KL145 fuel filter that we use. The one used by Mercedes looks about the same, but a tad smaller. Fuel injection requires you get it right cos of the pressure. Ducati , Triumph and lots of others use this filter. I see some people discussing using plastic, wrong!

·
Registered
196 Posts
While traveling through New Mexico several years ago, the bike was shutting down intermittently and I deduced that the fuel filter was clogged. I had just filled up and 30 miles later it started happening. I kept nursing it until I got to a small town. There was a NAPA store/gas station. I had changed the filter before so I knew what it looked like. I told the guy what I wanted, a metal filter with approx. 5/16 in. nipples. We went through several of them before I saw what I wanted and bought it. Can't remember the exact number, but the moral is if you know what you are looking for, even trip threatening events can be overcome. (The thought of riding back to Texas, 1100 miles, 5-10 miles at a time wasn't very appealing.)

Frank

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

Might try the Mercedes one next. The can is a tad smaller but connectors are the same, 8mm. I think I will first talk to an injector expert to make sure that pressures are not crucial.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have access to Mercedes parts and a parts counter man, he tried to cross the Mahle listing you posted and had no luck. This is my first BMW and haven't had any reason to deal with the fuel filter yet. Is the filter the same on all new model K bikes and what is the bike you are looking for a filter for? Post a picture if you can and I'll see if I can come up with something applicable. Also if you have dimensions of the canister and fittings that'd help. What fuel pressure does your bike run? I have an 06 k1200r and could look it up if yours is the same.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
filter

My Merc.parts girl found them in Der Farderland and I am having 40 sent out. Ten bucks each is better than twenty five. They fit a number of Beemers Ducs Triumphs.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
parts

voxmagna said:
When you get them, can you post the part numbers on the can or paperwork references?

Mahle or Knecht KS145 is what she is ordering for me. Under the circumstances I would only feel happy with the real thing, I recall there was a problem with a fuel filter some years back, the K's were recalled.

·
Registered
1 Posts
K100 OEM Fuel Filter

Hi, I was looking for a replacement filter for my 85 K100. I'm looking at the original filter, BMW# 2 325 859 and to the right of it it has Knecht KL145. I wonder what the difference is. I also found That this crosses to a Duetsch FF424

·
Registered
513 Posts
I just took the BMW fuel filter to a NAPA store and found one that looked the same size. Cars with fuel injection use the same or more fuel presure and have higher fuel flow than our bikes.
It cost was $5.00 I installed it 10,000 miles ago and have NO problems.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 94 K75S srarted losing power after I got to 1/2 tank of gas. Limped home and called BMW dealer. He said look for a busted seam on the filter and take it to NAPA and match up. Just like he said and never had a minutes trouble after that.
Mr. Leon Hebert ( A-Bear) BMW,at Baton Rouge,LA. He was the best dealer you could ask for! :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Napa 3032....That is what I will put in the K1200RS next time, less than $10.00 vs the OEM at......$38.00 Canadian Dollars (plus taxes....)! :wtf:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts