BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm a newbe on this forum and recent owner of a -07 K12GT.
Previus bikes -76 R100RS / MKM 4V, -94 K1100LT/SE ( still in my garage ), K1200LT.
Use to wrench most thing my selves as the nearest workshop are 270 km south.
Living just 100km south of the arctic circle in Sweden and riding appr. 15kkm / year often to the alps, Norway and locally a lot of gravel roads with the LT. A trilling challenge on touring tires.

When I bought the K12GT the fuel strip was gone, installed a new one and used a friends GS-911 to calibrate it. A days work with "Tupperware party" on the faring. Easier than on the K12LT.
Used a trick to renovate the old tank strip, applied isolation tester on the connectors for the broken strip and turned the level for 10 sec. Tested resistance afterwards and it readied 37 Ohm. My friend with the GS-911 has done this with success on 2 R12RT. Put the old fuel strip as spare now. Just purchased the carly diagnostic unit for test and when they release the full IPhone app I hope to do f.ex. service reset on the K12GT.

The break fluid needs to be replaced due to age. Is it only to flush it by keeping the reservoir at right handlebar / under rear seat filled with fresh DOT 4 break fluid and pressing out the old fluid from calliper bu handling leaver / foot break. All in the old way or any special trick as on the servo ABS on K12LT?

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I haven't had any fuel strip issues as long as I top the tank off at the end of a ride and store it full. I've often suspected some 'bathtub ring' forms on the strip when fuel rests there and it shorts or causes some electrical snafu happens with the lower fuel level on the strip.

Mack

1 - 3 of 3 Posts