BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - long time listener, first time poster.

Through an incredible turn of fate, I ended up picking up a K1200R for next to nothing. The bike had been sitting for 10 years and I have spent the last couple of months getting it road worthy. Everything is working great at the moment, but I had to completely refresh the fuel system (clean tank, replaced fuel pump and fuel Level strip, cleaned rail and injectors, replaced fuel quick disconnect with metal coupling). Took the bike for a test ride for the first time today and filled it up at the pump. Everything works great. Except for a small fuel leak. The leak is coming from the fuel pump housing sealing ring. I had the most frustrating time getting the rubber gasket to seat when installing the fuel pump assembly. Even though the circular metal ring is torqued to spec, I suspect the rubber gasket didn’t seal properly at one specific point and that’s where the leak is coming from when I filled the tank.

looking for any advice on what to do here. Is there a tried and true method to get a perfect seal on that gasket when installing the pump? I’m going to have to take everything apart which is incredibly labor intensive and frustrating. Want to make sure I do it right the next time.

Picture for reference. Many cosmetic modes planned over the next few weeks including a new pipe, belly pan and paint.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think you’re correct with your diagnosis. There can be a problem if the lip of the rubber sealing ring does not fit properly when the sealing cap is screwed onto the fuel pump assembly. It can get pinched. Red rubber grease is a great help to assist in the seating.

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,408 Posts
Capt.Howdy is spot on. the rubber gasket needs a small amount of lube to let it slip into position rather than bind and get caught and pinched. Nice bike and you did a lot of work on that fuel system.
This type of gasket expands a little when fuel soaked. So It might be best to let it dry over night when you take it out. Some cases even need a new gasket. Check it for damage also.

·
Registered
123 Posts
SonnyHashmi,

Beautiful Bike, and we feel your pain!

I've had to show my local BMW dealer how to make sure they followed proper Re-Sealing operations......So don't feel alone. They wanted to charge me for the New Rubber Gasket.....lol.

The Procedure is to immediately submerge and soak the big rubber Gasket in Fuel. If you let it dry for even 30minutes, you can put all the silicon grease in the world and it will not seat properly.

So, you will have to remove your battery and cover, upper fairings, disconnect lines and wires, siphon the fuel ( 1 more time.....I know it gets old) remove the tank and remove pump and associated sub assemblies. Be careful with that damn fuel strip, I try not to even talk, much less be distracted when gingerly removing it.

Inspect that big Rubber Seal, make sure it's not marred\damaged and submerge it in fuel. In about 2 hours or less, she'll go right on. You did mark with some white out or a marker the torque for the tightening ring, Right?

I dont have any pictures any more.....but here is a VDO screen shot of "correct procedure" 14:30 secs into the VDO he discovers the mistake. lol.

My Staff found a picture of a K1200S 2008.....yours should be similar.

Happy Hunting and Yes, one more time!

Arm Gesture Yellow Wrist Nail

Automotive lighting Sleeve Digital camera Baby & toddler clothing Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi to -“” - wanted to say thanks for all the great advice. As an update, I followed the directions, took everything apart (including taking the gas cap and breather hose, fuel strip off to be able to thread the gasket off everything, soaked it in fuel, then applied a small amount of grease to it and seated it. Everything went back on much, much smoother this time, and it completely solved the fuel leak issue. I just hope I don’t have to get inside the tank again for a long long time.

thanks to all for great advice

1 - 8 of 8 Posts