BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2008 K1200GT out to fill it up with fuel yesterday. It was about half full, but used it as an excuse to go for a little ride. Once filled up, rode around for about 1/2 hour and during the ride, it was stalling when coming to a stop or even just slowing for a curve. It would start right up when I hit the starter button, though. When I got home, it was dripping fuel right behind the engine, about 1 drop per second. It was coming out of a rubber tube, I think there are 3 tubes in that general location, near the center stand pivot. I can't believe it is just tank overflow from the fill-up. Hasn't done that before. I haven't traced back the hose it was dripping out of either. I guess that would be the place to start the investigation. I've had the fuel pump flange recall done. Leaking fuel and stalling, what's up with that? Any ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I rode the bike for about 50 miles yesterday. Ran like a top and no leaking fuel. Must have been just an overfill situation.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Bumlinger said:
I rode the bike for about 50 miles yesterday. Ran like a top and no leaking fuel. Must have been just an overfill situation.

Yes, it sounds like a classic overfill situation.

Also, the stalling may be related to the fuel overfill too. If I recall correctly (for the KGT), there is a charcoal canister that is connected by a vent hose to the fuel fill opening. If you put in WAY too much gas, that can flood the vent line and canister and cause some rough running. Some folks remove the canister.

However, without knowing the software level you are at, or the version of the intake air box and idle control valve you have - the stalling may be a whole other kettle of fish, one we KGT owners are too familiar with.

Try not to put so much fuel in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts