BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did everyone else get this letter from BMW about the fuel indicator? It doesn't note by VIN which bikes it is just that they will cover repair or re-imbursement.

is this the dreaded fuel strip?

It also states that BMW is committed to maintaining a level of motorcycle and service excellence that exceeds your expectations. :rotf:

I'm guessing that there is a new boss over in Germany who is finally going to try and return BMW to the engineering we expect of Germany.

·
Registered
357 Posts
:confused:

never heard of it...............

·
Registered
46 Posts
I received the letter yesterday also, I have 3 kbikes and no problem so far,nice to know it's covered. Between the jump guard,fuel pump and now the fuel strip that's better coverage than the last 4 years for obvious design/engineering issues than I seen in while, although my local dealer seems to dread it. It seems if I combo any other service with these it's at an inflated price and an inconvience..

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Letter

kbmwrs said:
Did everyone else get this letter from BMW about the fuel indicator? It doesn't note by VIN which bikes it is just that they will cover repair or re-imbursement.

is this the dreaded fuel strip?

It also states that BMW is committed to maintaining a level of motorcycle and service excellence that exceeds your expectations. :rotf:

I'm guessing that there is a new boss over in Germany who is finally going to try and return BMW to the engineering we expect of Germany.
Yup, that's the strip.Got the letter too. You're right, no VIN list or year range. Looks like they have declared all of them suspect. That is a very nice step forward by BMW. Thank you BMW!

On a related note, the strip on my '06 K1200GT went out last fall. Had the bike at the dealer this spring for the usual stuff (service, fuel pump recall) and asked them to replace the strip too. As luck would have it the strip recall was released to dealers while the bike was there, so I got it replaced for free.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just got my letter in the mail this week. My letter references my VIN right on it.

However, I had my K12GT into the dealer last week for the fuel pump flange recall fix and they didn't mention anything about this fuel strip "campaign" or "recall" by BMW. My guess is that they will honor the fix if it fails.

Mine still works fine and I'm knocking on all the wood I can find right now, because it's a PIA to get my bike in the shop for anything related to a "recall" since I didn't buy my bike from my local dealer. They tend to favor those who actually spent their $$$ there over those that only want them to do work that doesn't net them any profit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My fuel strip seemed to be OK; the dealer replaced it anyway saying it was out of range. Now, after the fourth fill-up, it only displays empty. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I called MAX BMW Friday to start the process for reimbursement. They pulled up my invoice from last year and said they would start the process. BMW sends the $$$ to the fixing dealer (or purchasing dealer) they, then send us the money. From here on out, I guess if it craps out I'll just let the dealer do it...since the parts and labor are free.

·
Registered
357 Posts
C901 said:
My fuel strip seemed to be OK; the dealer replaced it anyway saying it was out of range. Now, after the fourth fill-up, it only displays empty. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Did they dry the strip out and just recalibrate it or did the replace it ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fuel strip

I got my letter 3 weeks ago. I was told at my 30K service during the summer that my fuel gauge was not working. I told the service manager it was working when I rode in. He said: "well it's not working now" and replaced the fuel strip. It quit working 400 miles later. I am waiting until have time and a day to ride 125 miles to the dealer and back again to have it replaced.

It was interesting to note in the letter that BMW sent stated that one should not rely on the fuel gauge but use mileage for fuel consumption. Great solution from BMW. If they would tell me how to estimate fuel consumption when riding into a strong headwind out West, I could avoid running out of fuel! :yeow:

·
Registered
365 Posts
rewdoc said:
It was interesting to note in the letter that BMW sent stated that one should not rely on the fuel gauge but use mileage for fuel consumption. Great solution from BMW. If they would tell me how to estimate fuel consumption when riding into a strong headwind out West, I could avoid running out of fuel! :yeow:
Being somewhat anal about resetting the odometer after every fill up I know I can expect to always fill up with less than 5 gallons of gas for 200 miles. Even if you only got 33.3 mpg it would only take 6 gals for the 200 miles.

Ran a stretch of 190 miles in less than 2 hours, the fill up required only 5.9 gallons, only slowed down because the fuel light had come on at the 170 mile mark, and the next town was about 15 miles away. Average speed 95+mph, 32.2 mpg (cruise only works to a bit over 100 on GT)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts