BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a result of a fairly hard wheelie landing, the plastic quick coupling attached to the front of the fuel tank on my 05 K12S broke. It sprays a lot of fuel quickly as this is at the fuel pump output port apparently.

The bike just quickly got too high in the air when the tire hooked up more than I expected. It wasn't a violent landing, but wasn't totally controlled, as I chopped the throttle quickly. Anyway, I'm not sure where the interference is, to have broken the fitting, I think it somehow contacted the back of the airbox. Everything was tight, no loose bolts, nothing moving around.

Felt lucky there was no fire with the amount of fuel sprayed on the motor and on my right leg.

On a very positive note, the BMW dealer removed the fitting from their demo bike and gave it to me, so I was free to abuse it up some more later that night.

Paul

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
Paul, the next time you destroy the plastic disconnects, you might want to consider replacing them with chrome plated brass units found here. This was discussed on the old site in this thread.
Take it easy on the landings will ya? ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info and thanks for the link. Not waiting until next time, this will get changed out asap.

·
Registered
828 Posts
correct size

I am assuming the S bike uses the same coupling size, 3/8" fittings.

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Those BMW quick connects have been known to break on other models. The broke on my 2004 R1150GS Adventure. No wheelies--just normal riding. A friend had them break on his K1200RS. I know of another bike, an RT, where they broke on.

When they go--they go. They spray fuel all over the place. I thought my bike was on fire from all the steam and the smell of gasoline.

They are covered by warranty, but you may want to consider getting metal replacements on your own. The plastic is too brittle.

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
Pathogen7 said:
I am assuming the S bike uses the same coupling size, 3/8" fittings.
ONON-
Mark
Has yet to be determined on the S. Paul (solo) is going to do it, maybe he can give the size of the hoses when he removes the plastic fittings, or better yet, the info for which fittings he is purchasing for his S.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Parts fiche shows the hose to be 6mm X 11mm. I'll pull it out tomorrow or Friday and verify and select the fittings from the link you provided, thanks again Rick.

I leave for a couple of weeks after Friday, but I'll post an update after doing the changeout when I return.

Paul

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
fuel line

IMHO your better off stretching the hose a little to the 5/16 rather than smaller as the flow characteristics are better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts