BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an '04 K1200RS with 23000 miles. The past couple times I rode the bike, there has been a strong smell of fuel and some oil on the right saddle bag. I have not removed the side cover to investigate further, Just wondering if anyone has suggestions as where to look or if you have experienced something similar.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Take off the right side plastic and check the fuel line disconnects (QD's) - do a search on those. Your bike might be about to explode into flames, so take the gas smell seriously and check around the fuel lines carefully. :boom:

Also check around the bottom of the tank for leaks where the fuel pump is fitted.

If you have overfilled the tank, you may have had some gas come out from one of the black plastic pipe that dangles down by the rear fender.

Can't say much about the oil. Is it fairly clear and does it smell of Hypoid transmission oil? That could come from either the tranni or rear drive. Check around the swing arm, pull the boot back - there should be NO oil inside.

If the oil is black then you'll have to take off plastics and have a good look around, particularly under the clutch housing and up front near the timing cover.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Closer look

Just removed side cover and just "touched" return lind QD and it snapped in half. Time for the brass replacement ones.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back on road

Replacement parts came in and back on road. Unfortunately, after making repairs I had the bike on the side stand will engine running and it rolled off and fell over :( ! Damaged the paint on saddle bag, side panel, headlight panel, and engine valve cover.

Found a good place for parts with good turn around time.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

These QD's are made by the same manufacturer as the BMW oe parts just in brass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts