BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Did BMW install a new fuel pump assembly, or just the reinforcement?

• Yes - Entire fuel pump assembly (incl. fuel pump)

Votes: 51 64.6%
  • No - Dealer just reinforced the flange

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • I did the work myself and reinforced the flange

Votes: 4 5.1%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Did the repair myself, but took the bike in to have the recall documentation for the bike and stated that the flange had cracked. The dealer said if that is the case, they are replacing the pump. About an hour and 10 minutes later I was headed for home with a new pump.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Whole pump was replaced...

Scary to think that I thought I had a minor leak, it turned out it was major and not noticeable due to the fuel dropping onto the headers and evaporating before hitting the ground.. The left leg of my riding pants was also soaked with fuel.

Bike runs better with the new pump... Maybe the teabag filter was becoming clogged?? It is not a maintenance item. I asked.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My 12GT's pump failed and I paid the dealer to fix it... Not long after that, the recall came out and my dealer was kind enough to provide me with a gift card for my full repair cost. Nice work BMW of Las Vegas, going the extra mile is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've read this elsewhere as well, as far as it dripping onto the headers. Makes you wonder what took BMW so long to issue the recall... What a relief you must be feeling, I'm sure..

spafxer said:
Whole pump was replaced...

Scary to think that I thought I had a minor leak, it turned out it was major and not noticeable due to the fuel dropping onto the headers and evaporating before hitting the ground.. The left leg of my riding pants was also soaked with fuel.

Bike runs better with the new pump... Maybe the teabag filter was becoming clogged?? It is not a maintenance item. I asked.

·
Registered
101 Posts
CanAmK12GT said:
I've read this elsewhere as well, as far as it dripping onto the headers. Makes you wonder what took BMW so long to issue the recall... What a relief you must be feeling, I'm sure..

To see the leak I had to be at full speed on the freeway. I could see the fuel flowing out the left side of the bike near the oil filter.

Since I carry my dog as my riding partner, I had a plan to drop the bike and pull him out of the carry bag..... If my leg was on fire......!!!!! I hate to think about it.
:boom:

·
Addict-oholic
1,424 Posts
Dealer replaced the fuel pump and QD. Also, Max covered installing the hot start kit for the charger under warranty, even though it expire last year. I have complained to them a few times and they finally realized that this is what I needed. real Good people at Max.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fuel Pump Flange Recall

Dealer replaced pump assembly and fuel strip sensor, under warranty. Nice to get a repair order with: Due $0.00.

'07 k12GT w/ 45k miles

·
Registered
38 Posts
Replaced entire pump.
Apparently my was the worst they had seen, fell apart, yet I never once smelt any fuel leak .

·
Registered
35 Posts
My bike was sitting up for about 8 months while I was working away from home. I came home and had left about 3 inches of crappy fuel in the tank. Pump was a mess with sludge. I picked up a used assemble on ebay for the price of a pump, less than $70. I got it all cleaned up, bike runs great. Then I pop online and find this thread... I had no idea about the recall. I guess I'll take it in and see if I get a new, new pump!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Got mine done yesterday. Parts: Fuel pump Assembly 16147690231, Preformed Seal 16147722876 $9.21 and Gasket 16117677883 $12.23, all costs per Max BMW.

As noted above, sure is nice to have $0.00 in bold letters at the top of the work order.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
529 Posts
I put an Oetiker clamp on it an it was snug. The first recall a few years back the shop put the bmw clamp on it. Now going in for a check up on this second recall. I suspect I'll get a new fuel pump flange. Will let you know. I think some damage comes from people putting in new to the bike female fittings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts