BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

If you bike is smelling like fuel then check the high pressure disconnect at the tank. My K1300GT was spraying fuel. You need to check with the bike running. The teflon paste has deteriorated and was allowing fuel to leak past the female connector on the tank.

Here are some tips. You might be able to just tighten the connector, but be warned everything is plastic. Do not tighten more than 1/8 to 1/4 turn past finger tight. I broke mine trying to tighten it. Seem like some people have had luck with using basic pluming teflon tape. There are other stories of the plastic male end failing.

If broken the options are a new fuel pump or this item from Beemer Boneyard, which is very nice - no plastic.
https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdisconk12s.html

Like I said, if you smell fuel then check this connector.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The recall is for the fuel pump flange. If it is not cracked, there is a collar the dealer puts on the flange. If it is cracked, they replace the fuel pump with the same quick disconnects.

·
Registered
5 Posts
More info on changing fuel connector

Thank you subforry for the heads up on the Beember Boneyard brass fuel quick disconnect. I did the same job on my '05 LT when the OEM plastic one failed also.

Just a bit of warning when changing out the female half of the connector, the one mounted in the pump flange. The Teflon paste seemed a bit crumbly when I tried to clean it out of the flange threads. I used a syringe to suck some gas out of what I thought was the hose inside the tank feeding that connector to see if any Teflon had fallen inside. Sure enough, not only did I see little bits of Teflon floating in the extracted fuel (just the right size to clog injectors), but I must have taken 50ml out of that cavity. I ended up purging and refilling that cavity a few times before I quit seeing floating Teflon in the syringe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts