BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when the fuel strip goes bad, what do I look for? My 08 reads full all the time. Do I have something unplugged or the famous issue? This bike is newly aquired and much different than my other 3 BMWs being they are all airheads and the newest is an '83.
Also can I reset my oil change indicator myself or do I have to rely on my dealer for that? Or can I buy a reader of some kind and do it myself. I'm in full learn mode on this one.
Thanks in advance
Mike in Indianola,Iowa

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
economy5 said:
So when the fuel strip goes bad, what do I look for? My 08 reads full all the time. Do I have something unplugged or the famous issue? This bike is newly aquired and much different than my other 3 BMWs being they are all airheads and the newest is an '83.
Also can I reset my oil change indicator myself or do I have to rely on my dealer for that? Or can I buy a reader of some kind and do it myself. I'm in full learn mode on this one.
Thanks in advance
Mike in Indianola,Iowa
For 7 years, the fuel strip on my 2007 K1200GT was nearly perfect. It dropped gradually, and showed empty with 0.6 gallons remaining in the tank. Admittedly, it dropped at faster rate (and miles remaining did the same) near the bottom, but all of my cars do that, too.

One day the fuel gauge showed a little fuel remaining, and 8 miles to empty when it ran out of fuel. The dealer said that the fuel strip showed an error, but the new replacement fuel strip did the same thing. I ran out of fuel on the way home from the fuel strip replacement at the dealer. Was I mad!

In my case, it showed some fuel remaining even though the tank was dry.

You can reset the oil change indicator with a GS-911. See:
http://www.hexcode.co.za
http://gs911usa.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I had my fuel tank flange done, North America BMW send me a letter stated that fuel tank strip now is lifetime warranty. You might want to look into it.

Tony
2007 K1200GT

·
Registered
357 Posts
You sure it's a lifetime warranty?? I thought it was 12 years from the date of the bike..

·
Registered
77 Posts
When my strip went bad, it showed full all the time as well. Being a Canadian, we don't get the extended warranty on the strip, it's only in the US, so I fixed it myself using the BBQ lighter pezzo method I found on ADV Rider. It's been fine for the past two years again. If I had the warranty, I would've let them replace it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have since been in touch with my dealer. The strip is covered and one week away when I can get the bike to town on my country snow covered road.
As far as the oil reset, they would gladly reset it for me for ONLY a 1/2 labor charge or $42.50.
Any one have a gs911 they want to part with cheap?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts