BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Gt 1200

I programed a GT1200 this weekend for a friend. He did the float sending unit conversion and the wiring harness change himself. He came by the house and in 5 minutes had him re-programmed and his gas gauge was working again. It did react slowly at first, but moving the bike around which moved the fuel in the tank, the gauge would change.
I believe another success story for this modification. :smile
du907

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another conversion success!

Big thanks to du907 for posting this guide and the great photos. It enabled me to convert my R1200GSA to float sender successfully. The wires in the bike are even the same ones, but you guys can get to them far easier. Mine are under the tank, which has to be removed.:smile

·
Registered
677 Posts
Good work to you hard workers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, I was one of the smart asses that said I was just going to use my trip meter and I did for over 53,000 miles. And that was fine as my fuel strip (#3) was perma-locked on full. Now it suddenly changed to empty with all the flashing lights and annoyance. So a little electrical tape has kept me from being distracted but a permanent fix is in order. Thanks to everyone's hard work I have started collecting parts for the switch over to a float type level sensor. I may save the big fix till the riding season is over but in the meantime I will try to zap it back to not empty.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, they are the same on the k12/13, just meant that it will not work on the GT models.. But you still need to change the wires in the connector at the zfe point and also program to floatsensor in the software.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Olistoys1,
If you get a 1300s tank with the float sensor you will still need to change the wires around in the plug and then program the ZKE from fuel strip to float sensor using the Motoscan app and a OBDII to 10 pin BMW cable.

Mattias_r is correct. I believe we checked the part numbers on the gas tanks and they are the same for the K1200s and the K1300s. The fuel filler flange is the important part. Then change the wires around in the plug per diagram and program the ZKE.
Easy - Pesey

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I went by the dealer to see if I was covered under warranty and I’m one month out my 12 year warranty on the fuel strip ran out on June 25th The dealer told me they can fix the bike for $425 and a two year warranty on the new fuel strip I can get a K 1300 S fuel tank for 60 bucks complete I know there is an app that you need For your phone to download into the bike move some wires around the electrical part of the job is not my forte but It doesn’t seem like that big a deal. So is everything working well with the people that have Completed this modification. ? Just checking before I make The decision on which way to go

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Olistoys1,
Now you see why we started on this journey to eliminate the fuel strip and get a reliable fuel gauge. My fuel strip 12 year warranty ran out a week before I contacted BMW and they wouldn't help me out. The fuel strip part by it shelf is $225 and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Another $400 or so for labor. Hell, BMW even figured it out and changed to a float system on the later models.

I did the swap over the winter and it is still working. I ride in the mountains at least once a week and it's so nice to have a reliable fuel gauge.

Let's review the cost.

1. A K1300S float type sensor, used from ebay, $28.
2. A later type black plastic filler tube/flange $25. If you have an earlier model with a metal filler tube/flange you will have a little welding to do.
3. An OBDII blue tooth scan tool (OBDIIlLink MX from scantool.net $59.95) and a OBDII to BMW 10 pin plug adapter (from Amazon $14.95)
4. A couple of very small crimp style clamps for overflow hose.
5. The Motoscan app from google play for android and from Apple for the iphone. The app is free but is a demonstrator app. You will have to upgrade to the Ultimate version to do this fix $59 or so.
For about $187 plus your or a friends labor you will have a dependable gas gauge that will last for less than the fuel strip part.
Your call.
du907

·
Registered
178 Posts
IMO there is no choice, spend on something that is known to fail and get a measly 2 year warranty or spend less money and a few hours of work and be gone with the problem.....forever.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been collecting parts to make this modification to get my low fuel warning lights to go off. I am probably going to pay my local independent motorcycle shop to help me with the software component rather than buy all the equipment and software for a one time use. It may cost just a bit less but it helps spread the cash around.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve done some power tunes to some motorcycles. Like a Brentune on my GA but a little vague on what needs to be done with the app from the phone and OBD thing i’m not really a computer guru so I don’t understand what that all is yet but it won’t steer me away from making it right after I get the gas tank or float which ever way I go I will probably p.m. The smart ones that have done it for a step-by-step on the computer stuff I don’t see the dealer helping me out

·
Registered
178 Posts
The software for both kinds of fuelguages is already installed by Bmw, but one or the other is active. Need motoscan for this, bmw does not do the reprogramming, they do not have that capability via their software. Don't think the Gs911 can do it either.

The motoscan is not a onetime use, every year service is done use it to reset the service reminder. I also periodicly check for faultcodes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I realized when I wrote about the motoscan tool that it was not a single use item. I was just saying I would probably only use it once, maybe twice. Same as what happened with all the special Ducati tools and equipment I bought. I do have a good independent shop in town and also a good tech at a nearby Motorrad dealer although it is not the one that is closest. It takes a village to...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Olistoys1,
When get started you can PM me and I will answer your particular questions and send you more pictures to help you get this done. I can send you screen shots of the software in more detail to help you.
du907
Mattias_r
What kind of LED lights do you suggest? I have been looking for some that I can still use the OEM screw on cap to keep water out.
Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Olistoys1,
When get started you can PM me and I will answer your particular questions and send you more pictures to help you get this done. I can send you screen shots of the software in more detail to help you.
du907
Mattias_r
What kind of LED lights do you suggest? I have been looking for some that I can still use the OEM screw on cap to keep water out.
Thanks
I use these, fit without issue, but lately they have started giving an intermittent lampF! warning on the dipped beam, did not do so to begin with when installing last year. Not sure what is the cause of this.
Planning to put a 1W 68ohm resistor on the line at the connector under the fairing on the right side, 1w 68ohm is what willessentially turn the canbus lamp monitoring system off.

To get the correct ohm i took one turnsignal bulb out, turned on the signal and got the rapid flash, then i tested different resistors by inserting them in the bulb socket and at 68ohm it flashed normal. Even when using a 1/4w, but it got so hot after just a few seconds it burned, tried a 1W and it got warm but not dangerously.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts