BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

Registered
2006 BMW k1200S
Called my preferred Motorrad dealer today. SM said he would probably charge me for 20 mins labor to make the software adjustment but maybe they cannot as du mentioned above. Will give it a try and see what they come up with before I spend another $160 on software and cables to add to my collection.

The technician at this particular dealer was the first that understood what I was talking about when I showed him the eleven year old technical data sheet for the airbox and software update.

Do not know why we are talking about leds here and not on the led thread which is similar to the eternal tire and oil threads we enjoy.

Happy riding.

Registered
One more conversion success!

Really many thanks to all of you, especially du907, having provided all this information for converting my 2008 K1200S to float sensor.
It works now, from the first moment I turned the ignition on, without any problems. Even more, after some miles on the road, I have the feeling the reading is more accurate than before. But maybe this is wishfull thinking 馃

@ du907 and others: is it ok for you if I use your guide (translated) and photos and post them on the German K1200S forum? We are definitely missing it there. It took me quite a while to find this forum here with all the answers needed. I think everybody in the German K1200S forum with this fuel strip problem would appreciate to get such practical guide. Thanks in advance!

Keep on riding!

Registered
Discussion Starter #83
Edelpreiss,
It's OK by me. As far as I am concern use what ever you want. Others can comment on their pictures/illustrations etc. I make no guarantees or profit from anything. I just wanted a permanent fix for my fuel gauge and I am happy to share with other BMW riders. Congratulations.

Registered
2006 BMW k1200S
I am about done with my conversion and everything went together well using the instructions from du907. I found the later model filler neck so did not have to weld anything and just have to move the wires, reassemble, and reprogram to finish. One curious element is the amount of rusty crud I found in my gas tank. Some places over 1/4" thick.

Registered
du907,
Thanks for quick reply. Will put something together for the forum in Germany and give credits to you and the other guys by posting a link to the source.

Registered
2006 BMW k1200S
Finished up the conversion today. I replaced the level sensor and wire swap last week then took a couple rides over the weekend while waiting for the interface equipment. Low fuel indicator would not clear just sitting in the garage. Took it for a ride and the low fuel warnings cleared in about four blocks. Showed one bar for 137 miles distance before I fueled up. After fill up gauge moved to full. I love it when a plan comes together. Now for the catching on fire recall.

Registered
just want to thank you guys for this posts. my original fuel strip went 13 years so no warranty., thanks to this conversion. the bike is how it should have been in the first place not to mention saving $250 doing it myself.

Registered
Discussion Starter #89
Great to hear about your success guys! Yes, now the recall on the gas hose fitting. I was told by a good dealership that we would be receiving a letter telling us about the recall and when the dealer will have the parts etc. to make the repair. Of course this could take months to years. I had a recall on the seat sensor on my X3 car and that took 3 years before that safety recall. You would think the functioning of the seat belt would be a priority recall, but maybe not.
Oh well.

Registered
2006 BMW k1200S
Refreshing this thread as we have another K1200 rider out there with fuel strip problems.

A follow up on my conversion. The consistency of the new fuel level sensor is way better than I expected. When I run the range indicator down to single digits it takes about four gallons to fill up. Actually mileage runs 41.7 to 44.5 mpg while the average on my instrumentation says 44.3 and I have not cleared it since I installed the new level sensor (3,000 miles ago). Also takes the first bar off the fuel level indicator at around 45-49 miles and hits half a tank at around 90-95 miles (depending on wind of course). Then at about 135-140 miles I get the low level indicator. So all is well and the miles continue to stack up.

Registered
Big thanks to all. I just did the conversion on a 2007 K1200R from fuel strip to float using the instructions from du907. I was able to use the float from a 2009 K1300GT which worked like a charm.

Registered
two more conversions, thanks for the information
(in Spanish, sorry)

the first time it cost me a bit, but the second conversion took 45 minutes to finish the whole process

Registered
2006 BMW k1200S
We each have our tolerances. When my faulty fuel strip started showing empty all the time rather than full I just used some electrical tape to cover the warnings. I rode like this for about 2,500 miles as I collected parts and studied the steps to modify the fuel strip. I kind of like to know that everything is working okay. I still use my trip meter to keep track of how far I have travelled on the current tank of gas, and the K1300s fuel level sensor seems to be reliably accurate but I try not to press 200 miles out of a tank anyway.

Registered
Discussion Starter #96
Fried_Chicken,
Works for me! There is one thing (of course). The yellow triangle light stays on all the time. The problem with that is if another problem turns up like oxygen sensor, this or that sensor, you would never know if the yellow triangle light is on for that or the fuel level. That was my second reason. The first was, . . . just because it's a BMW. It should work!:)

Registered
Yeah I was being a little facetious. How BMW managed to fuckup a fuel level gauge, like the 2nd gauge ever fitted to a motor vehicle, is beyond me.

Registered
2006 BMW k1200S
Hope you weren't feeling attacked. I rode for three years and about 52,000 miles with a fuel level sensor that always showed full. And since it wasn't bigly broken I did not fix it until it started flashing low fuel warnings. I was also going to wait and make this a winter project but the anticipation killed me after all the parts arrived. Took about three hours but I did a few other things while I had the tank off. And like du907 says its a BMW things should work.

Registered
I had mine fixed by the dealer instead of doing the float change this time if it gives me any trouble in two years it鈥檚 under warranty if I still have the bike. If I keep it and it does it again I鈥檒l do the float change out but since I have Have to bike apart all the plastic removed I let the dealer have at it mainly it went there for the fuel pump recall as well funny thing is they told me my bike fell into the Recall Campaign once my bike got to the dealer they told me they didn鈥檛 see it in there and left it alone

Attachments

Registered
ALL k1200 and k1300 bikes will have to go in for the latest fuelpump recall, problem is, bmw doesent have a fix for it, they need to manufacture new pumpunit. So right there they fed you a spoon full of BS.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts