BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

141 - 146 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
2006 BMW K1200S
52 Posts
Did you use the metallic flange or plastic and just clip on the floater ? Correct Measurement has to do also with the correct height of the floating system .
I used the factory plastic flange and everything snapped together. I did not mean to say it was incorrect or providing a false reading. I was saying it's a bit early for a low fuel warning. I could probably adjust the arm on the float and make it different but the indication is very consistent the way it is. I also do not know where the low level warning comes on for other bikes. So what is normal? I'll get over it as my goal is to ride a lot and wrench just a little.

·
Registered
2005 K1200s 78,000+ miles going strong
7 Posts
To give you a comparison to work with, on my 2005 K1200s, the fuel warning light comes on around 120/130 miles, which then shows a 50 mile "reserve" distance. I actually keep a fuel log spreadsheet and know the lifetime MPG on my bike is 42.20mpg (this includes a "Trackday low" of 28.54mpg, an "easy cruising high" of 50.26mpg and obviously a lot of riding somewhere in between). On that basis, with the k1200s fuel tank capacity of 19 litres (4.18 UK Gallons), my range to totally empty is around 176 miles - making the fuel light and reserve distance pretty much spot on by my reckoning. I ran my bike for 3 years/36000 miles on the original fuel strip and got much the same results as I do now with my current K1300s Float arrangement. Hope this helps?

·
Registered
2006 BMW K1200S
52 Posts
To give you a comparison to work with, on my 2005 K1200s, the fuel warning light comes on around 120/130 miles, which then shows a 50 mile "reserve" distance. I actually keep a fuel log spreadsheet and know the lifetime MPG on my bike is 42.20mpg (this includes a "Trackday low" of 28.54mpg, an "easy cruising high" of 50.26mpg and obviously a lot of riding somewhere in between). On that basis, with the k1200s fuel tank capacity of 19 litres (4.18 UK Gallons), my range to totally empty is around 176 miles - making the fuel light and reserve distance pretty much spot on by my reckoning. I ran my bike for 3 years/36000 miles on the original fuel strip and got much the same results as I do now with my current K1300s Float arrangement. Hope this helps?
Thanks for the comparative data. Shows the old K is running about normal compared to others. Mileage for me goes from almost 50 with a good Columbia River Gorge tail wind to 39 when it blows strong the other way. Mostly I get around 43 to 44 mpg depending on speed, traffic and construction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the comparative data. Shows the old K is running about normal compared to others. Mileage for me goes from almost 50 with a good Columbia River Gorge tail wind to 39 when it blows strong the other way. Mostly I get around 43 to 44 mpg depending on speed, traffic and construction.
Glad to help. Does seems like, allowing maybe for the different kind of roads we're on, our bike's are achieving pretty much the same mileage.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Just joined to thank you all for working this all out! I've finished doing the float conversion on my 2005 K1200s today and it works a treat! £100.00 (inc. postage) of used ebay K1300s fuel filler neck with the frame and sender; now my fuel gauge problems are gone. I did have to do a little welding, as mine's got the metal filler, but easy enough to line up when you've got the plastic one next to it in your hand. I found the K1300 float metal frame just sits on top of my original filler's strip sensor frame, so I just MiG welded them together. Had to bend the breather tube round a bit by hand to get it all to fit back in the tank. Reprogrammed using the MotoScan app on my phone via an OBDLink LX 427201 OBD tool with a Cheapo Amazon converter cable. Once done, I added fuel slowly until the low fuel light and mileage went off at around 6 litres from totally bone dry empty. To start with, I thought I try and be clever and use a later tank to match the later plastic filler I'd bought, but - of course - then my original filler cap wouldn't close DOH! So I'll be listing my un-required k1300s tank sometime soon. Anyway thanks again for working out how this could be done!
Sorry you had to get rid of tank. I had the same problem and under the "Houston we have a problem" showed why my fuel cap would not fit on the red plastic filler neck/flange that came with the used float & sensor I bought off of ebay. Since I too had a metal flange, I had to do some welding which I also outlined in another post on that thread. The later black plastic filler neck/flange is just a remove and replace operation from the fuel strip clip to float sensor clip.
It's pretty cool to see so many success stories with this modification. It's been over a year now and no problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry you had to get rid of tank. I had the same problem and under the "Houston we have a problem" showed why my fuel cap would not fit on the red plastic filler neck/flange that came with the used float & sensor I bought off of ebay. Since I too had a metal flange, I had to do some welding which I also outlined in another post on that thread. The later black plastic filler neck/flange is just a remove and replace operation from the fuel strip clip to float sensor clip.
It's pretty cool to see so many success stories with this modification. It's been over a year now and no problems.
Cheers, I did see your "Houston we have a problem" post, where you tell us about the Red filler neck not matching bikes with the metal filler, but (totally due to my own fault), I still thought getting a later tank with the recessed top neck mounting flange would overcome that issue - like I said, I thought I was trying to be clever!

The float conversion has worked out very well, so I don't really fret about the extra £22 that the (now surplus) used tank cost me (of which, maybe one day I'll recoup some money back from my eBay listing anyway) - but I thought I'd fess up where I gone a little astray - to maybe highlight/help others thinking of doing a conversion themselves in the future.

From my "one-off" experience of this conversion, for anyone with access to a welder, the modification of the metal filler neck (if thats what their bike has), is a not going to cause them any real worry.

I can only once again thank you and everybody else involved, for doing all the research and leg-work (spanner work?) required to make this conversion an accessible DIY project for us all!

141 - 146 of 146 Posts